Pocahontas (1995 Disney Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
I watched a few clips (I jumped around on the DVD, did not watch the whole thing) from this last night and it seems to have these principal worldview elements / messages:

[1] It extols animism, the belief in the existence of individual spirits that inhabit natural objects and phenomena. This is demonstrated most articulately in the song, Colors of the Wind, which is really an anthem to animism. Similarly, the source of wisdom in the story is a talking tree, Grandmother Willow. You know when she says something, it is right.
[2] It exalts the concept of the noble savage, with the uncivilized having greater morality and wisdom than civilized counterparts. Civilization corrupts.
[3] The movie is strongly multicultural and pluralistic. For example, the Brittish have a song, ""Savages, savages. They're not like you and me/ Which means they must be evil . . ." Of course, Smith comes to see with the wisdom of native beliefs.
[4] It is at least semi-feminist, as women are the leaders and the only wise (whether Pocohantas or the female tree). The men are typically foolish, except when they follow the advice of women.
[5] The movie extols feeling over reason. Repeated advice includes "listen to your heart." It is only when people do this that things go well.

Any other thoughts from anyone who remembers the movie? I am reviewing some movies to use for a youth worldview class. I am going to use movies as illustrations.

Thanks

[Edited on 2-7-2006 by Scott]

Pretty good synopsis. I saw the movie with my now wife on the day I proposed to her over 10.5 years ago. At the time we were both really looking forward to the next Disney movie because the Lion King had been so entertaining. I caught messages 1 and 2 above loud and clear when it came out (and this was in my pre-Reformed Christian days).

Beside the above, the movie is just quite lame. I think it goes so far out of its way to present the PC view of Native Americans and the Evil Europeans that it didn't even focus on a good story line. It's just not entertaining even if you remove your philosophical objections and it has never been a very popular movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back