Pointless Football Poll

Who will win the English Premier League this season?

• Manchester United (that old dour Scot/Portuguese prima donna combination seems to work a treat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chelsea (surely they aren't buying success with questionable Russian money?)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Arsenal (watch them implode again as they put together 30 passes but still can't score)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Liverpool (living on their history - not much choice when you haven't won the league in 18 years)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Spurs (for those of you with a sense of humour/humor)

• Hull City (probably a better chance than Spurs, despite being absolute rubbish)

• Leeds United (actually they can't win 'cause they aren't good enough to be in the Premier League)

• Some random, dull team that you are offended I haven't included on this list

• The team with the most players wearing girly hairbands

• New England Patriots

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonmo

Puritan Board Freshman
The football season is less than two weeks away (we're talking real football – the one with over paid European prima donnas sporting Joan Collins haircuts, as opposed to the one with over-paid American prima donnas wearing Joan Collins shoulder pads).

So, from your vantage point in Pittsburgh or Portland, who do you think will win the English Premier League this season?

Will Sir Alex make it three in a row for Man Utd? Can “Big Phil” turn the Russian gold into silverware for Chelsea? Can Wenger’s kids at Arsenal maintain their stamina for an entire season this time? Will the great Spanish sporting renaissance last long enough to carry Torres, Benitez, etc to victory on behalf of the once great Liverpool?

Can anyone else break into the “Big Four”? Spurs? Everton? Man City? Aston Villa? New England Patriots?

And what about Hull City? In the Premier League for the first time in their history. Will they be anymore successful than the 1976 Buccaneers on their debut season in the NFL? You decide.

Actually you don’t – it will be determined by the 20 professional teams playing 38 games over the course of the season but at least we can indulge in some pointless pre-season point scoring. And hold a meaningless poll to boot.

My (virtual) money is on Chelsea – and that’s not just because I’ve supported them through thick and (mostly) thin for over thirty years. Well, actually, come to think of it, it is.

Last edited:
How disappointing. I thought this thread was going to be about college football.

Oh well; I'll still say, "GO DAWGS! Sic 'em! Woof! Woof! Woof!"

:applause:

Play up Pompey,
Just one more goal!
Make tracks! What ho!
Hallo! Hallo!!

200px-Portsmouth_FC_crest_2008.png

I have to vote with my heart for my team, Arsenal. Although I do not believe we will win the league as things stand. If we sign a class midfielder of the likes of Alonso I would think we have a decent chance. We still have some very shot-shy players, but ALex Hleb is gone and he was the most guilty party in that respect.

Do I think Chavski oh sorry, Chelsea will win the league? No, because Man Utd are better than Chelsea. Scolari is a fish out of water here and I think he will need a season to bed in. Same thing goes for Liverpool - I don't think Rafa will ever win the league because he rotates too much - the Champions League is more his bag. And Man Utd are better than them as things stand.

Are Man Utd better than Arsenal? Depends what happens with injuries in my very humble opinion. Without that leg break at St Andrews last season we would have won the league. We will need a lot of luck to be honest - great kids, loads of them, but too few experienced pros to step in when the going gets tough. The sooner we sell out to Kroenke the better.

And Tottenham? Oh please. Don't make me laugh. They've spent millions upon millions and the best they will do is finish fifth again. Unless one of the top four goofs and lets them in.

JH

I am so confused. I don't know any of the teams you are talking about. nor which sport for that matter. Can I cast a blind vote, and claim divine knowledge when they win? :p I will retire back to my corner of irelevence, because, as Solomon says, 'It is better to keep your mouth shut if you are ignorant and leave the people guessing, than to open your mouth and make it known' (King Timmy Translation)

I am so confused. I don't know any of the teams you are talking about. nor which sport for that matter. Can I cast a blind vote, and claim divine knowledge when they win? :p I will retire back to my corner of irelevence, because, as Solomon says, 'It is better to keep your mouth shut if you are ignorant and leave the people guessing, than to open your mouth and make it known' (King Timmy Translation)

I went to vote as well and did not see any teams that I recognize. Must be some kind of farm league???
:lol:

I went to vote as well and did not see any teams that I recognize. Must be some kind of farm league???
:lol:

....New England Patriots? Hmmm...I don't like 'em, but I've heard of 'um!

Yes, but I figured the Patriots were on the list because they are in the area, not because they are in the league/sport the rest are. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. Let me whip out my farm manual and see......

When I started supporting Liverpool, they were reigning League champions. We haven't won since. I'm backing us to win this year though. We have improved the most of any of the top 4 in the off season. Chelsea may have spent more, but I am doubtful of Big Phil's ability in the Prem; he was a good but overrated international coach, and has done little at all at club level. Chelsea play a very different style to the Brazilian or Portuguese naional teams. His signings so far - more attacking midfielders - do not look like a very wise use of the available resources.

Arsenal may struggle, as they haven't made the signings they need. ManU should be favourites. Liverpool haven't quite made the signings I had hoped for; I would have liked to see one or two good wide/attacking midfielders, to allow Gerrard and Torres to continue to combine well through the centre. Torres, Keane, Gerrard and Babel/Kuyt may have difficulty as an attacking quartet maintaining sufficient shape. My suspicion is that Benitez wanted to sign Barry so as to play two, or even three, central midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back