Polemics against Rome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

totorodaisuki

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi everyone! I wish everyone a blessed Lord's Day!

I'm looking for books that are polemical in nature arguing against the Romish church.

I have "The Roman Catholic Controversy" by James White, but I found it to be rather superficial on some topics.

I'd like something which is very meaty and systematically and rigorously goes through the major doctrines of Rome one by one and gives a full rejoinder.

I've read "Roman Catholicism" by Loraine Boettner which was excellent, yet many of his arguments address the body of doctrine present at the time of the Vatican I council.
It was written before the Vatican 2 council which introduced and redefined numerous doctrines. An updated version of the book would be ideal. I noticed there are many anti-Protestant and anti-Reformed polemical works written by Catholic apologists in the past 10-30 years, yet almost nothing of vice versa! That is a real shame.

I also have read "The Church of Rome at the Bar of History" by Webster. This book was good and addressed some Vatican 2 doctrine, yet I feel he was often holding back and I wanted a more polemical work.

BTW, I've just ordered "Earnest Hours, to Which Is Added: The Bible True, and Infidelity Wicked -And- Rome Against the Bible, and the Bible Against Rome" by Plumer.

You can download the highly regarded "Evangelical Theological Perspectives on Post-Vatican II Roman Catholicism" by Leonardo De Chirico as his PhD dissertation here: https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/files/2934796/401303.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks. Anything by Luther?
I don't think there's anything by Luther that fits your criteria of "something which is very meaty and systematically and rigorously goes through the major doctrines of Rome one by one and gives a full rejoinder." I could be wrong though. Perhaps someone more studied in this area could chime in. I'd start with that work by Calvin.

I don't think there's anything by Luther that fits your criteria of "something which is very meaty and systematically and rigorously goes through the major doctrines of Rome one by one and gives a full rejoinder." I could be wrong though. Perhaps someone more studied in this area could chime in. I'd start with that work by Calvin.
No worries!

I'm looking for books that are polemical in nature arguing against the Romish church.

I have "The Roman Catholic Controversy" by James White, but I found it to be rather superficial on some topics.

I'd like something which is very meaty and systematically and rigorously goes through the major doctrines of Rome one by one and gives a full rejoinder.

I've read "Roman Catholicism" by Loraine Boettner which was excellent, yet many of his arguments address the body of doctrine present at the time of the Vatican I council.
It was written before the Vatican 2 council which introduced and redefined numerous doctrines. An updated version of the book would be ideal. I noticed there are many anti-Protestant and anti-Reformed polemical works written by Catholic apologists in the past 10-30 years, yet almost nothing of vice versa! That is a real shame.

I also have read "The Church of Rome at the Bar of History" by Webster. This book was good and addressed some Vatican 2 doctrine, yet I feel he was often holding back and I wanted a more polemical work.

BTW, I've just ordered "Earnest Hours, to Which Is Added: The Bible True, and Infidelity Wicked -And- Rome Against the Bible, and the Bible Against Rome" by Plumer.

You can download the highly regarded "Evangelical Theological Perspectives on Post-Vatican II Roman Catholicism" by Leonardo De Chirico as his PhD dissertation here: https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/files/2934796/401303.pdf
Leonardo De Chirico also runs the Reformanda Initiative which includes a variety of resources including a podcast https://reformandainitiative.buzzsprout.com/

Gregg Allison's book 'Roman Catholic Theology and Practice : An Evangelical Assessment' has been praised in Reformed circles and Dr Chirico devotes one of his podcasts to this work.

Leonardo De Chirico also runs the Reformanda Initiative which includes a variety of resources including a podcast https://reformandainitiative.buzzsprout.com/

Gregg Allison's book 'Roman Catholic Theology and Practice : An Evangelical Assessment' has been praised in Reformed circles and Dr Chirico devotes one of his podcasts to this work.
Much thanks. The podcast looks wonderful. I ordered the Allison book!

This is interesting and is a polemic in and of itself since Rome 'allegedly' does not change.

I would also recommend reading some of Rome's primary sources as well as Her approved dogmatic theology manuals. I've found that understanding your opponent's position as deeply as possible really sharpens your apologetics against them. I would recommend the Catechism of the Council of Trent, Certain papal bulls and encyclicals such as Pastor Aeternus, Mystici Corporis Christi, and Divino Afflante Spiritu. I would also recommend Sources of Catholic Dogma by Denzinger and Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Van Ott.

Having this foundation allows you to read post Vatican II sources so as to familiarize yourself with just how much the "unchanging church" has changed over the last 60 years.

I would also recommend reading some of Rome's primary sources as well as Her approved dogmatic theology manuals. I've found that understanding your opponent's position as deeply as possible really sharpens your apologetics against them. I would recommend the Catechism of the Council of Trent, Certain papal bulls and encyclicals such as Pastor Aeternus, Mystici Corporis Christi, and Divino Afflante Spiritu. I would also recommend Sources of Catholic Dogma by Denzinger and Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Van Ott.

Having this foundation allows you to read post Vatican II sources so as to familiarize yourself with just how much the "unchanging church" has changed over the last 60 years.
Thanks. I've ordered the catechism as well as Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Van Ott!

That's good. The official Catechism of the Catholic Church is the single best resource. It's fairly cheap and well-organized.
Thanks! BTW, I just read your blog post on the killing of JFK. I agree with many of your points. The radio program "Coast to Coast AM" has had some great discussions of the case over the years.

That's good. The official Catechism of the Catholic Church is the single best resource. It's fairly cheap and well-organized.
I became a protestant after reading it in its entirety when approaching confirmation in high school. You can imagine the stir this caused in my family.

I became a protestant after reading it in its entirety when approaching confirmation in high school. You can imagine the stir this caused in my family.
Both sides of my family have been Catholic for generations! My parents became born again (and Protestant) in 1972 sending shockwaves through the families! I thank God for granting them repentance and faith!

The more modern (and thus relevant to Vatican II) a work is, the more likely it is to hold back I would fear. I actually thought White's book was pretty good and it's what I would recommend to someone who wanted a starter book on the fundamental differences between Christianity and Rome. I would also highly recommend his many debates with RCs which cover individual doctrines.

The Two Babylons by Hislop is also a classic work on Rome but focuses on the pagan origins of the system. It's not a systematic theological interaction with Rome. But it's definitely worth reading at some point.

I thought this work by Perkins to be quite insightful-

To the OP, are these materials only for personal study and edification? Are you training to engage Roman Catholics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back