Politics and the Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if you mean that it is an unrelated direction. I think we just said the same thing. It reinforces my point actually and is the reason I believe folks should be spending more time posting in the theological forums than in political forums because the nuances of political science and economics and world events are not the focus of this board. We're permitted to be sloppy there and nowhere else on the board. I agree that the theological portions of the board are theologically challenging. The politics section is dissonant with the rest in that regard.

Rich, yes. I poorly worded my last post. I was commenting on your heading in an unrelated direction (but not irrelevant).

I'm starting to rethink my OP. I believe it is even more than just politics that leads to the vitriol and rancor. It is an unloving and uncharitable heart. We've seen that spirit alive in the baptism and Christmas observance debates. It is resident more often in the political forum because it seems to be accepted and tolerated there. You want a different perspective on the whole affair? Do a search in the prayer forum on how many threads have been started seeking prayer for our nation. I'm ashamed to say that I have been a poor example in that regard.

BaptistInCrisis,

I don't know, I am just as passionate about both. And I have had relationships end because of my faith, but I've never had relationships end because of politics.

Now, if someone else chooses to end a friendship with me based on political differences, well, then I'd have to question the friendship to begin with. But even if/when I saw them I would speak to them, they may not speak to me, but I will still speak to them.

Sometimes we have to take that first step of talking to them, and letting them know that even though we don't agree on certain things we can still be friends, and there are no hard feelings. Just a disagreement.

And I understand your view on this, as I know people who believe the same thing, and no I am not one of them.

Yes, it is sad, but why are You so incredulous that he has this view? In the grand scheme of things does it matter? If it were true, would it change your convictions?

Bobi - the whole thing has to do with the passions that arise during political debate. In the instance with my friend, both of us allowed our anger over the others position to take center stage. Instead of deferring to each other in love, we were offended. THAT is my point. Now I do believe that there are certain political issues that transcend into the theological. Abortion or the state restricting worship would be those type of issues. I don't suppose to have an answer for all of this except that we need to check the attitude of our heart. Do we consider ourselves victors when we win a political argument? It is a contest between wills? You read some posts on the PB and you are left to conclude that.

I know this next comment smells of Polly-Anna, but if we could sprinkle our comments with a little 1 Cor. 13 we may find ourselves blessing instead of just making our opinions known.

Slippery,

3. The money grubbing pragmatists. These are the powerful evangelical leaders that have control over millions of Christians. These are the Haggeites, Falwells and the Dobsons. Because they are heavily invested in the issues of abortion and against homosexual marriages, they broker deals with the republican parties, thereby ignoring all the wickedness of the republican party for favor on the issue of abortion and homosexual marriages. Likewise in the urban areas, many black pastors, who are heavily invested in the issues of social equity, i.e employment discrimination and racism, willingly broker deals with the democratic parties, thereby ignoring the wickedness of the democratic party for favor on their issues of discrimination etc. It is the leaders of these two camps, that heavily innoculate their followers against the truth, thereby keeping christians divided and unable to come to a proper concensus. And make no mistake, these leaders are not ever going to give up their power.

Hmmm, I don't give any of these people power over the way I vote.

but why shouldn't they as Christians (as they do call themselves Christians) take a stand against those things, as well as other issues?

If God has placed a conviction on their heart concerning those issues, why should it bother us? God has placed other issues on my heart to speak out against as well, we each have our own calling for issues to speak out against, do we not?

But, if people are only looking to these men to tell them how to vote, then therein lies the problem, they should be on their knees in Prayer asking God how He would have them vote. Because YES, God is even concerned about that, if he is concerned about how many hairs are on our heads, He would certainly be concerned about how we vote concerning the direction the Nation He placed us in, and the laws of the land-- making what He says is wrong, right and what He says is right, wrong.

BaptistInCrisis

In the instance with my friend, both of us allowed our anger over the others position to take center stage. Instead of deferring to each other in love, we were offended. THAT is my point.

So now, do you offer a hand of friendship and seek forgiveness of your friend, or do you continue to walk in your pride?

It is a contest between wills?

I would :ditto: this, it is a battle of the wills, your will and his will, and mans need to be RIGHT at any cost.

I know this next comment smells of Polly-Anna, but if we could sprinkle our comments with a little 1 Cor. 13 we may find ourselves blessing instead of just making our opinions known.

Hmmm, how is responding in a Christ like manner being 'polly-anna'?

Do we really believe our opinions are so important that we get angry at our brothers and sisters? Isn't that pride than anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back