Poll: Duration of Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

staythecourse

Puritan Board Junior
What categories should be included?

1. Midnight to midnight?
2. Evening to evening?
3. No longer a typical day. It's symbolic?

Categories

I wanted to get as many categories up before I made the poll. Evening to Morning is another. I'll make the poll later today most likely. Any others

obligation of the Christian to observe/keep the Sabboth in a prescribed way. Which brings up a whole other question about what excactly is prescibed and where to find it biblically.

Where do you find the prescription of what is forbidden?

Exodus 20:8-11 said:
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Isaiah 58:13-14 said:
"If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath,
from doing your pleasure on my holy day
and call the Sabbath a delight
and the holy day of the LORD honorable;
if you honor it, not going your own ways,
or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly
;
then you shall take delight in the LORD,
and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth;
I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father,
for the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

These are just a couple places. I'm sure you could do some sort of search for "Sabbath" at Biblegateway. We know from Jesus' example that "works of mercy and necessity" are acceptable.

Here are other scripture proofs taken from the Westminster Confession of Faith (the confession your denomination is supposed to hold):

Exod. 20:8; Exod. 16:23, 25, 26, 29, 30; Exod. 31:15, 16, 17; Isa. 58:13; Neh. 13:15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22. Isa. 58:13; Matt. 12:1 to 13.

Here is the text from the Confession itself:
WCF said:
This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,(o) but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back