Poll: Puritan Board's Generational Makeup

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Ask Mr. Religion, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Post-Millennial / Gen Z

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Millennial

50 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. Generation X

38 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. Boomer

29 vote(s)
    23.4%
  5. Silent

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Thought I would poll the board's generational makeup.

The following classifications are to be used for the poll (Src: Pew):

Post-Millennial/Gen Z were born after 1996
    Millennials were born 1981 to 1996
    Generation X were born 1965 to 1980
    Boomers were born 1946 to 1964
    Silent were born 1945 or earlier

Poll results are viewable by all. An individual's poll answer is not viewable to others.

2. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

I object to your dating of some of these. :) So I put myself in the category that bests represents me. The dating on these actually overlaps a lot, and it's really the mentality of the person that dictates what group they are in.

In my case, growing up I didn't know anyone that really fit in the mentality of the group that you would have me be in. I truly believe that mentality shifted a couple years later. Of course, part of this you'd have to understand that someone growing up in the city would be a few years ahead then those who grew up in rural areas, if that makes sense. I grew up rural, thankfully.

3. De Jager

De Jager Puritan Board Freshman

I am a millennial but sometimes identify as a 85 year old stubborn dutchman

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  4. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

I'll do the math, since I'm curious ;)
    Age is based on age the group will be/has turned in 2019:

Post-Millennial/Gen Z are age 22 and younger
    Millennials are age 23-38
    Generation X are age 39-54
    Boomers are age 55-73
    Silent are age 74 or older

I'm in the millennial group. All the buzz at work from marketing experts is around the generation Z (also called centennials) lately, and no one quite agrees on the years for them yet. Usually used for normal age college students and younger.

5. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

It's weird. I'm a millenial but I can't stand avocados.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Bill The Baptist

Bill The Baptist Puritan Board Graduate

Those of us in Gen X have the good sense to turn avocados into guacamole

7. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

Well then I guess I'm a stereotypical millennial!

And as of now, the silent generation is... well... silent.

8. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

All I know...I'm an X Man. :lol:

9. De Jager

De Jager Puritan Board Freshman

I recently found out that avocados give me stomach aches.

No big loss there.

10. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

I can relate. Family members tell me I'm old beyond my years.

11. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Well, you can't let something minor like that stand in the way if you want to be one of the cool kids.

12. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

All I have to say is, "Get off my lawn!"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator

Matthew, I see classifications for [pre] Millennial, and Post-Millennial, but I thought you were a-Millennial :lol:

14. SebastianClinciuJJ

SebastianClinciuJJ Puritan Board Freshman

Only 5,7% Post-Millennials on the PuritanBoard? :(
    I'm feeling lonely...

15. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

I suspect it's because most of you young folk have yet to discover the internet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. BottleOfTears

BottleOfTears Puritan Board Freshman

Gen Z squad represent

17. Prolocutor Twisse

Prolocutor Twisse Puritan Board Freshman

I am a millennial but I fall into one of the earliest ages within that generation. Let's put it this way, I didn't have a cellphone until my last year of high school (crazy I know).

These statistics are interesting to me for two reasons. 1) Given the well documented nature of loneliness within the Millennial and Gen Z crowd (https://www.chicagotribune.com/life...thursday-americans-are-lonely-0503-story.html), I wonder if this loneliness leads to a higher representation when in comes to our online presence or if this is more of a selection bias given that millennial/Gen Z tend to be sucked into the technology vortex? Or 2) If there is a resurgence of the Reformed faith in the Millennial age group?

Anyone know of any statistics that may show the breakdown of denominational allegiances within the various age generations?

18. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

I've long considered myself a Tweener. The Boomers' dads served in WWII, ours were in Korea. We didn't have to take home ec or listen to bubblegum rock. We toked to get stoned with no thought of groovy idealism. Mainline church membership peaked with boomers but declined when we started rolling our eyes with every mention of relevance.

19. KMK

KMK Administrator Staff Member

According to Pew, Baby Boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. That means us 54 year olds are technically Baby Boomers.

Case in point, I have both a Beach Boys and a Beatles station on my Pandora, but not the Clash or U2. I never once had to carry my own house key to school. But, most of all, it would have been borderline creepy for me to date either Monica or Rachel.

20. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

I'm a fringe Boomer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Junior

Would it have been an invasion of privacy to have those who answered the poll public ? Would've been interesting to see who is in each category.

22. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

I too realize I am in many ways a tweener. I'm "officially" at the tail end of the boomers, but I am the firstborn in my family and so our family can look more like a family of Gen X kids. My grandfather, not my father, fought in WW2, as did my mother's oldest brother. We were raised on Little House on the Prairie, and in high school I constantly heard Michael Jackson. That's Xer stuff.

Yet my family was traditional: Mom was home to take care of us kids. We always ate breakfast and dinner together around the kitchen table. And when we watched Little House on the Prairie, we did it together as a family event. That's all boomer stuff. And when I graduated from high school I went straight to college, stayed there four years and got my degree, and went dirently into the professional workforce like any so-inclined boomer would.

23. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

Ask a lady her age? I'm shocked. :lol:

24. Ask Mr. Religion

I tend to favor prudence when creating polls unless the poll requires identification of a person.

Anyone can certainly post herein to reveal their status, however. For example, I am, obviously, "a world-famous, internationally known, most thought about, talked about, talkin' trash, smokin' grass", Boomer. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  25. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Aside from knowledge of certain cultural references and some 'lingo' I do not really get millennials. To quote a song (that I hate with a passion, but my work's music ingrained in me), I was born too late.

26. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Graduate

I grew up thinking we all would be using jet packs now. The 1984 olympics set this then 10 year old’s mind on fire. Harrumph!

27. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

BOOM! Yeah, I'm a boomer.

28. littlepeople

littlepeople Puritan Board Freshman

Yall look out. Us Millenials are winning.

29. Ask Mr. Religion

30. BuckeyeGirl

BuckeyeGirl Puritan Board Freshman

I'm a millennial. I was going to add the disclaimer that I don't fit the stereotypes of my generation, but then I remembered that I like avocado toast. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.