Poll: Puritan Board's Generational Makeup

What is Your Generational Label as Popularly Defined?

• Post-Millennial / Gen Z

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Millennial

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • Generation X

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Boomer

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Silent

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask Mr. Religion

Flatly Unflappable
Thought I would poll the board's generational makeup.

The following classifications are to be used for the poll (Src: Pew):

Post-Millennial/Gen Z were born after 1996
Millennials were born 1981 to 1996
Generation X were born 1965 to 1980
Boomers were born 1946 to 1964
Silent were born 1945 or earlier

Poll results are viewable by all. An individual's poll answer is not viewable to others.

I object to your dating of some of these. :) So I put myself in the category that bests represents me. The dating on these actually overlaps a lot, and it's really the mentality of the person that dictates what group they are in.

In my case, growing up I didn't know anyone that really fit in the mentality of the group that you would have me be in. I truly believe that mentality shifted a couple years later. Of course, part of this you'd have to understand that someone growing up in the city would be a few years ahead then those who grew up in rural areas, if that makes sense. I grew up rural, thankfully.

I'll do the math, since I'm curious ;)
Age is based on age the group will be/has turned in 2019:

Post-Millennial/Gen Z are age 22 and younger
Millennials are age 23-38
Generation X are age 39-54
Boomers are age 55-73
Silent are age 74 or older

I'm in the millennial group. All the buzz at work from marketing experts is around the generation Z (also called centennials) lately, and no one quite agrees on the years for them yet. Usually used for normal age college students and younger.

I am a millennial but I fall into one of the earliest ages within that generation. Let's put it this way, I didn't have a cellphone until my last year of high school (crazy I know).

These statistics are interesting to me for two reasons. 1) Given the well documented nature of loneliness within the Millennial and Gen Z crowd (https://www.chicagotribune.com/life...thursday-americans-are-lonely-0503-story.html), I wonder if this loneliness leads to a higher representation when in comes to our online presence or if this is more of a selection bias given that millennial/Gen Z tend to be sucked into the technology vortex? Or 2) If there is a resurgence of the Reformed faith in the Millennial age group?

Anyone know of any statistics that may show the breakdown of denominational allegiances within the various age generations?

I've long considered myself a Tweener. The Boomers' dads served in WWII, ours were in Korea. We didn't have to take home ec or listen to bubblegum rock. We toked to get stoned with no thought of groovy idealism. Mainline church membership peaked with boomers but declined when we started rolling our eyes with every mention of relevance.

I'll do the math, since I'm curious ;)
Age is based on age the group will be/has turned in 2019:

Post-Millennial/Gen Z are age 22 and younger
Millennials are age 23-38
Generation X are age 39-54
Boomers are age 55-73
Silent are age 74 or older

I'm in the millennial group. All the buzz at work from marketing experts is around the generation Z (also called centennials) lately, and no one quite agrees on the years for them yet. Usually used for normal age college students and younger.

According to Pew, Baby Boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. That means us 54 year olds are technically Baby Boomers.

Case in point, I have both a Beach Boys and a Beatles station on my Pandora, but not the Clash or U2. I never once had to carry my own house key to school. But, most of all, it would have been borderline creepy for me to date either Monica or Rachel.

Would it have been an invasion of privacy to have those who answered the poll public ? Would've been interesting to see who is in each category.

I've long considered myself a Tweener. The Boomers' dads served in WWII, ours were in Korea. We didn't have to take home ec or listen to bubblegum rock. We toked to get stoned with no thought of groovy idealism. Mainline church membership peaked with boomers but declined when we started rolling our eyes with every mention of relevance.

I too realize I am in many ways a tweener. I'm "officially" at the tail end of the boomers, but I am the firstborn in my family and so our family can look more like a family of Gen X kids. My grandfather, not my father, fought in WW2, as did my mother's oldest brother. We were raised on Little House on the Prairie, and in high school I constantly heard Michael Jackson. That's Xer stuff.

Yet my family was traditional: Mom was home to take care of us kids. We always ate breakfast and dinner together around the kitchen table. And when we watched Little House on the Prairie, we did it together as a family event. That's all boomer stuff. And when I graduated from high school I went straight to college, stayed there four years and got my degree, and went dirently into the professional workforce like any so-inclined boomer would.

Would it have been an invasion of privacy to have those who answered the poll public ? Would've been interesting to see who is in each category.
I tend to favor prudence when creating polls unless the poll requires identification of a person.

Anyone can certainly post herein to reveal their status, however. For example, I am, obviously, "a world-famous, internationally known, most thought about, talked about, talkin' trash, smokin' grass", Boomer. ;)

Aside from knowledge of certain cultural references and some 'lingo' I do not really get millennials. To quote a song (that I hate with a passion, but my work's music ingrained in me), I was born too late.

I grew up thinking we all would be using jet packs now. The 1984 olympics set this then 10 year old’s mind on fire. Harrumph!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back