Polygamy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Scott
Polygamy on the ACLU's agenda:
http://yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=27865

The recent Supreme Court's invalidation of Texas' sodomy statute will be used to advance this agenda. If a significant muslim population arrives in America, this could bolster support for polygamy.

Oh great! This is the road we are headed down as a nation if we don't do something now. As Christians we have to take a stand against the sin that is rampant. If we don't, we're a goner!

Pack the bags and turn out the lights, the party's over!!

Wonder what country I could move to?

I think the modern mindset about sexual relations is that anything (polygamy, peodaphila, and worse) is fine as long as it's consensual. :banghead:

If you had to prove from the OT alone that polygamy was a sin, how would you do it?

The creation account says:

Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Inspite of this, we read in the scriptures of men who had many wives and concubines. It doesn't appear when you read the accounts of these men's lives that the scriptures come out and condemn the practice. In Solomon's case, there is condemnation of what happened as a result of the marriages (because the wives turned his heart toward idolatry), but there doesn't seem to be condemnation of the multilple marriages themselves.

Deuteronomy even gives advice regarding a man who has two wives:

Deu 21:15,16 If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated: Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn:

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 1-20-2005 by blhowes]

:worms: we're good at this aren't we?

I can see logical reasons for the impracticality of and the chaos it would cause within a family...but for the life of me, I don't see it from an OT standpoint being claimed as unlawful.

However in the NT the requirements of a minister include husband of one wife (I also believe this to mean that they cannot be divorced and remarried...in that case he would have had two or more wives). Ministers are to be the example to their congregations. It would make sense to follow this example (possibly how we got away from polygamy other than poverty?)

Also, we have probably opened the door to this by our cultural acceptance of divorce and remarriage. The man would then be polygamous?

Also in historical times a man could have more than one wife. They all belonged to him. But the wife could not belong to more than one man...she was to be faithful to only one. In today's culture you know the woman would want the same...so we could end up with a woman married to 5 men, man 1 is also married to 2 other women who are also married to other men...this would never end. :chained:

However, in the garden, Adam was only given Eve...not Darcie and Bambi also (though the wiccans would dispute that he had lilith before eve). And Noah and his sons had only one wife apiece.

Also...the term...they became one. If you become one with another person then how to you become one with another...are you not being untrue to yourself and becoming two ones? Sounds like a case for schizophrenia:D

go figure!

[Edited on 20-1-2005 by LadyFlynt]

Why in the world would any man want more than one wife? God promised that He would never give us more pain and suffering that we could not handle. Hence, the reason why we are only to have one wife! :lol:

Jim

Originally posted by JWJ
Why in the world would any man want more than one wife? God promised that He would never give us more pain and suffering that we could not handle. Hence, the reason why we are only to have one wife! :lol:

Jim

comp11.gif

Originally posted by JWJ

Mr. Naughty Pants! I'm with Adam, emoticonically speaking.

Only a matter of time before the ACLU takes the stand for illicit relations between adults and children...

Originally posted by Charismatic Calvinist
Only a matter of time before the ACLU takes the stand for illicit relations between adults and children...
Didn't one of the O'Rielly factor shows recently talk about the ACLU defending the owners of the web site that promoted man-boy relationships? Anybody recall? I think the argument was that the ACLU didn't endorse the practice, just freedom of speech and the right to express any ideas on a web site.

Originally posted by blhowes
...I think the argument was that the ACLU didn't endorse the practice, just freedom of speech and the right to express any ideas on a web site.

In the words of my dear Texan friend, "Dear Gusssie..."

"Only a matter of time before the ACLU takes the stand for illicit relations between adults and children..."

Their handbook actually calls for the legalization of the sale and distribution of child p0rnography. This is distinct from legalizing its creation.

Originally posted by blhowes
If you had to prove from the OT alone that polygamy was a sin, how would you do it?

The creation account says:

Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Inspite of this, we read in the scriptures of men who had many wives and concubines. It doesn't appear when you read the accounts of these men's lives that the scriptures come out and condemn the practice. In Solomon's case, there is condemnation of what happened as a result of the marriages (because the wives turned his heart toward idolatry), but there doesn't seem to be condemnation of the multilple marriages themselves.

Deuteronomy even gives advice regarding a man who has two wives:

Deu 21:15,16 If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated: Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn:

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 1-20-2005 by blhowes]

Does the language of Deu 21 necessarily imply that the man has both wives at the same time?

If the wicked do manage to legalize polygamy in North America some day, what would be the lawful response to a man who has married three women all of whom have born him children and subsequently God grants to him saving faith? Must he then divorce all but the first wife or must he remain with all his wives? I'm sure this issue comes up where there exist Christian churches in polygamous societies, but I'm not sure where the church has stood on the issue historically in the past.

Originally posted by Peter
Does the language of Deu 21 necessarily imply that the man has both wives at the same time?
Peter,
Good thinking. It could very well be that he had one wife, she died, and then he remarried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back