Pope asks Christians, Muslims to find Common Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are we really expected to tolerate this garbage?
Ecumenism. Lead the way, padre. Any ECT'ers going to sign on for this one?

Ecumenism?? That's syncretism.

Rome claims to be the bedrock of orthodoxy and a sure way to avoid all of the missteps of Protestantism. How are we to even take their claim seriously when the pope prays in a mosque? I'd love to believe he was praying there to demonstrate that mosques are under God's sovereignty as well, but the ol' "tolerance" word was more apt a description of his motives.

I would love to hear Hahn and company dance around this one!

Later in 2006 he prayed at the Blue Mosque in Istanbul during a Turkish visit.

Hunh?

I sort of prefer the bloodthirsty Catholics of the medieval years - like in Spain where St James allegedly rode out of the sky to slaughter 60,000 attacking Muslims all on his lonesome - that is a Catholic I can get down with (and he's an apostle before he's a Catholic anyway).

Looks like Benedict was playing poker with Satan again and lost the whole kit and kaboodle this time.

....dialogue based on ever truer mutual knowledge...

What is "ever truer mutual knowledge?"

I'll agree with him on one thing: The Roman Catholic church has more in common with Islam than they do with the "ecclesial communities" of true, Protestant Christianity ;)

Originally Posted by Exagorazo
I'll agree with him on one thing: The Roman Catholic church has more in common with Islam than they do with the "ecclesial communities" of true, Protestant Christianity

:amen:

I'll agree with him on one thing: The Roman Catholic church has more in common with Islam than they do with the "ecclesial communities" of true, Protestant Christianity ;)

So, then, why did a lot of people vote in the poll to say that their Baptism is valid? I just don't get how we can one second say that they are a true, but corrupt, church and then then next second say that they have more in common with Islam than they do with Christianity.
:banghead:

So, then, why did a lot of people vote in the poll to say that their Baptism is valid? I just don't get how we can one second say that they are a true, but corrupt, church and then then next second say that they have more in common with Islam than they do with Christianity.

Doug - now, now...you're injecting logic into your outburst of frustration. Remember the words of that great sage Neo, when he said, "There is no spoon."

Our common ground is Genesis 9:6:

“Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man shall his blood be shed,
for God made man in his own image."

Pope John Paul II kissing the Koran:
jpkoran.jpg

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

839 "Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways."325
. . .
841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."330

These types of things give old school Catholics a lot of heart burn. It seems to me that the RC Church is essentially a mainline liberal church and has embraced a form of relativism.

oh. my. If you hadn't supplied the photo, I would never have believed it.

Did he then share a fiery, sulphurous handshake with the cleric beside him?

Bob, when you go for that beer with him, you've GOT to ask him about this one!

Joe would never do that. He agrees with me that Carol was a pansy. He would have eaten mud to get pigs to like him. Carol didn't have the foggiest idea what he was doing in the last few years. In fact, Joe and I think he was being operated by Jim Henson's Creature Shop in those last years.

Joe is a man with a backbone and doesn't care who he offends, he'd make a great puritan. Maybe I'll ask Ian Paisley to join us to lift a schooner or two.

In fact, Joe and I think he was being operated by Jim Henson's Creature Shop in those last years.

Is that why he just kept randomly blessing everything around him?

Joe is a man with a backbone and doesn't care who he offends, he'd make a great puritan. Maybe I'll ask Ian Paisley to join us to lift a schooner or two.

Just introduce them and hide under the table. My money's on Paisley taking out Joe in the first 12 seconds with a vicious headbutt, then pulling his beating heart from his chest and showing it to him, while singing "Onward Christian Soldiers".

Seriously. Poker game. Elvis, Hitler, Joe, and Satan (and Stalin in a Bavarian beer girl getup serving drinks - that's hell for you). Joe goes all in, bites the dust, and has to pray at mosques until brother Wojtyla gets out of purgatory. It could so happen.

Last edited:
Common ground? If the pope is looking for a consensus stating we all worship the same god, he's got another thing coming! I can't help but think that this sort of thing is a result of their poor theology.

Once they toss all their heresies out the window, there's sure to be some kind of common ground available.

Mind if I join you? :banghead:

Are we really expected to tolerate this garbage?
Ecumenism. Lead the way, padre. Any ECT'ers going to sign on for this one?

I dont see where he mentions common ground in regards to faith. Perhaps he is speaking of general benevolence of humanity towards one another.

I would find it a contradiction after his pronouncement in the recent past regarding the RCC is the true church. Of which I actually give him credit for. I do not believe he is as wishy washy as JPII

You're exactly right Nicholas. You are the first one who didn't over react to the OP and actually read what the article said. Kudos sir. For that you can have a beer with Joe, Ian and me. :cheers2:

I dont see where he mentions common ground in regards to faith. Perhaps he is speaking of general benevolence of humanity towards one another.

I would find it a contradiction after his pronouncement in the recent past regarding the RCC is the true church. Of which I actually give him credit for. I do not believe he is as wishy washy as JPII
If you are right, and you very well may be, he is still wasting his breath. Muslims believe, as I understand it, that you have two choices: Islam or death. There's really not much room for common ground with that idiology.

You're exactly right Nicholas. You are the first one who didn't over react to the OP and actually read what the article said. Kudos sir. For that you can have a beer with Joe, Ian and me. :cheers2:

Ian Paisley? I know not whom you are referring. Well Joe Ratz has gumption Bob. One must recognize this. For him to state that only the Roman Catholic Church is “the one true Church of Christ and... the Protestant and Anglican churches – are “not Churches in the proper sense of the word”, but rather “ecclesial communities” Mentioning excommunication. We do it all the time!!!! And I give him credit for becoming more black and white since Vat 2.

This statement about Islam is nothing new or shocking...

He also stated: Pope Benedict clarified that while religious and political leaders should help Christians and Muslims work together, that all should remain faithful to the teachings of their own religious traditions.

Here is the crux of the talks Benedict said the dialogue would promote, “the defense and promotion of the dignity of the human person and of the rights ensuing from that dignity.

WHich protties should also do too. Are there any on are team attempting this end of violence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back