"Popular" Book Recommendation for Christ-Centered Preaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Looking for a book written at the popular theological level that I can give as a gift to a Preacher friend. He preaches in the fairly common revivalistic style that emphasizes deeds even when he should be exegeting indicatives from the text. I've enjoyed the White Horse Inn discussion through Romans this past year (doctrine -> doxology -> deeds) and I thought one of those authors might have an intro book to the centrality of Christ's work in preaching but couldn't find one.

Any ecommendations?

Not a book, but the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals puts out the Modern Reformation magazine which has a Christ-centered sermon in it each month.

Yeah, I have that. Been subscribing to it for about 10 years. I think I'm going to ask Mike Horton if it's OK to get a copy of his latest article in the Nov/Dec issue that goes to the heart of the issue.

Jerry Bridges "The Gospel for Real Life"
CJ Mahaney "The Cross Centered Life"
John Piper "Seeing and Savoring Christ" and "Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die"

I was going to say point him to beginningwithmoses.org, but I just found out the site has been down for a couple of weeks while they try to correct a domain name expiration problem. bummer.

Classic. Excellent. I would start here.

Christ-Centered Preaching, 2nd ed.: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
0801027985m.jpg

Recommended by John Bettler of Westminster Theological Seminary. See all of Dr. Bettler's recommendations.

Recommended by Timothy Witmer of Westminster Theological Seminary. See all of Dr. Witmer's recommendations.

Publisher Review: This complete guide to expository preaching teaches the basics of preparation, organization, and delivery--the trademarks of great preaching. With the help of charts and creative learning exercises, Chapell shows how expository preaching can reveal the redemptive aims of Scripture and offers a comprehensive approach to the theory and practice of preaching. He also provides help for special preaching situations.

The second edition contains updates and clarifications, allowing this classic to continue to serve the needs of budding preachers. Numerous appendixes address many practical issues.http://www.wtsbooks.com/product-exe...aching_2nd_ed_Redeeming_the_Expository_SermonPublisher:Baker Book HouseAuthor:Chapell, BryanISBN:0801027985Binding:HardcoverList Price:$29.99Westminster Bookstore:$18.89 37% Off

That is just the book that I was thinking about posting, Chris. It is the text used in our introductory preaching course here at WSC. Chapters ten and eleven in particular will be helpful in addressing the issues that have been mentioned.

Get him anything by Stuart Olyott. He is one of the best preachers I have ever heard and he has (at least) two books out on preaching. I went to a seminar that he gave for lay preachers a few weeks ago that was just outstanding.

A quick correction.

MR is now published by White Horse Media headquartered at good old WSC.

Watch for a new MR website in Jan.

rsc

Not a book, but the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals puts out the Modern Reformation magazine which has a Christ-centered sermon in it each month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back