Portable Storage Media - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmpem

Puritan Board Junior
Excluding external hard drives, what form of media can hold the most data in a single unit? (i.e. blank DVD's, Blue-Ray, flash media, etc.) My boss want to save as much data as he can in a single portable device that is not an external hard drive. And you can get as creative as you want with your ideas, they just needs to be possible.

The company owner wants to take data home to back up to his computer. Normally we would upload the data from our server to his, but he lives out in the country and has VERY slow internet.

Why is he discounting external hard drives? They will hold MUCH more than any thumb drive would and can support a wide variety of connections types/speeds. I would consider a mybook etc to be very portable. Another option would be to transport the data to a laptop and take that home and upload it from there. Or get a big IPOD and load to that. I can hold any data type not just music. Though all these ideas really are just external hard drives in different packaging.

Why is he discounting external hard drives? They will hold MUCH more than any thumb drive would and can support a wide variety of connections types/speeds. I would consider a mybook etc to be very portable. Another option would be to transport the data to a laptop and take that home and upload it from there. Or get a big IPOD and load to that. I can hold any data type not just music. Though all these ideas really are just external hard drives in different packaging.

I agree. I don't understand why he would even want a Blu Ray disc over an external hard drive. I bought a USB powered external 2.5" case and 320 GB SATA notebook hard drive. It transfers data much faster and is more reliable than other media forms.

I use Goodsync Pro to keep folders sync'd between my work and home computer.

I'm not aware of anything else I would recommend.

I don't know why; he already uses external hard drives. This was just an assignment passed down through the chain all the way to me. I'm just seeing if there's anything unusual that's out there that I'm not aware of.

Thanks, Rich. I'm going to show him that; and, unless someone can show me anything better, I'm going to tell him that that's as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back