Post Christian: A Guide to Contemporary Thought and Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
I see this new book by Gene Veith has recently come out. Does anyone know much about Veith's theology or his writings in general.

I have always appreciated Don Carson's "The Gagging of God" though it is somewhat dated. I did wonder if this book would compliment and update Carson's work.

Just to make my question more pointed, I know Gene Veith has written in the area of Postmodernism before. For those who have read his previous works, what do you make of his competence as a theologian and as a philosopher. I ask because I noticed that the recommendations of his recent book did not include any by Reformed theologians - at least not any I recognise.

Just to make my question more pointed, I know Gene Veith has written in the area of Postmodernism before. For those who have read his previous works, what do you make of his competence as a theologian and as a philosopher. I ask because I noticed that the recommendations of his recent book did not include any by Reformed theologians - at least not any I recognise.
I'm not familiar with his work outside of an essay here or there. I will say that I am general not very impressed with the church's response to postmodernism. In general evangelicals don't get it right and critique straw men for postmodernism. Also there were conferences held about after postmodernism, so it would seem that the boogeyman might already be a passing enemy. They've already tried to name the new cultural philosophy, they haven't settled on anything I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back