Post Ratings Added

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new layout is fantastic. Sorry to be a pedant, but how does one edit posts that you made a few hours ago? I see that it now lets you edit posts that you have just written, but not ones that you wrote a few hours previously.
Such an option would be problematic in threads where much quoting has taken place. The current setting gives you 15 minutes for going back and editing a post. This may even be too much for fast moving threads where lots of quotes are being made. It is something we are keeping an eye on.

Not that anyone asked me, but I concur with Jack and don't see the reason to publicly draw attention to someone's poor use of spelling or grammar, especially since this can be something quite difficult for them. Yes it can be frustrating, but admonitions of this nature should be done privately.

To be honest, "Like", "Informative", and "Edifying" all have so much overlap that I think the "Like" option by itself gets the message across just fine. If someone "likes" a post, we all know that means they found it encouraging or edifying or well-worded. I do think there should be a negative option (just not based on spelling or grammar alone).

Here's what I would want to see:

- Sad (for those posts and prayer requests that you would "Like", to express your sympathy or your prayers being with someone, but "Like" doesn't feel right in response to their sadness)
- Reconsider Your Response, or possibly the "Awkward Face" Emoji (this is used when you feel someone has not read others rightly, has made logical leaps, is deviating from their Confession, etc. It's a gentle correction that serves multiple purposes)

Last edited:
Blake,

Thanks for the feedback. The cumulative effect of different ways of appreciating something is the same. There are only two main categories in the system - either positive or negative. Like, Funny, Informative, Sad, and Edifying are all considered "positive" ratings. Sloppy Grammar and Churlish are both "Negative".

Whether or not one can say that everything positive about a post could be grouped into a "Like" bin there are things that we "Like" and things that we find informative or particularly edifying. I know the difference in my mind but if you prefer to just "Like" something you find informative or edifying the net result in terms of boosting a "positive" post will be the same.

Ha. Rich, do you realize how tempting it is to dock you for improper use of an apostrophe?
The possessive here implies the Member's ability (an ability possessed by an individual member) to see only threads available to full Members. Hence, it would be a correct usage once one understands the original intent. ;)

The possessive here implies the Member's ability (an ability possessed by an individual member) to see only threads available to full Members. Hence, it would be a correct usage once one understands the original intent. ;)

Quite right. And if the intent were to refer to the ability of all members, it would be "Members' only," of course.

The feature about which I just got a chuckle is the ability to look up "notable members" by various categories, to include "most negative ratings."

Could a moderator/admin correct my title/rank/grade (whatever it is called) so that the italics thing doesn't appear around the word "softy?" If so, that would be appreciated.

I've decided that keeping up with negative ratings is more trouble than it's worth. I think our moderation has worked well for over 12 years and there's no need to create a rating category that creates moderation headaches and a trail of bad ratings that follow a user around.

I like that call, Rich.

I will confess that I am tempted to make way too much of either positive or negative responses to my posts. "Likes" tempt me toward pride (into which I often fall), and negative responses make me bristle. So although I enjoy getting "likes," I fear it is not good for my heart. That's my fault, of course, and my sin to deal with. But any removal of part of that temptation probably makes this board a healthier place for me to hang out.

(Now here's your dilemma: If you agree, do you "like" this post?)

I like that call, Rich.

I will confess that I am tempted to make way too much of either positive or negative responses to my posts. "Likes" tempt me toward pride (into which I often fall), and negative responses make me bristle. So although I enjoy getting "likes," I fear it is not good for my heart. That's my fault, of course, and my sin to deal with. But any removal of part of that temptation probably makes this board a healthier place for me to hang out.

(Now here's your dilemma: If you agree, do you "like" this post?)
Well, Jack, the feature is less about servicing pride and more about improving content. Our goal is to help bubble up those posts that people are finding useful.

I added a Rejoicing and a Praying icon.

Sad, Rejoicing, and Praying are "neutral" ratings. They don't bump up the posts or threads but simply provide a way to express solidarity with a post if something is sad or you're happy for someone, etc.

Well, Jack, the feature is less about servicing pride and more about improving content. Our goal is to help bubble up those posts that people are finding useful.
Oh, I understand that. It's good that we have a "like" button. Likes are helpful to the board. And being helpful is a big reason why we're all here. So I don't mean to complain at all, just to be honest about some of the downside... while we're on this topic.

I find the 'like' button useful for several reasons.

1) It helps show me if I'm on the right track. If folks I respect on an issue 'like' my response on that issue, it shows me I'm probably on the right track. On the other hand, if others like it, I probably need to keep examining my views.

2) It saves making some posts. If someone responds to me but the discussion doesn't need to continue, a 'like' (now that we have the names back) shows that I've seen their comment and acknowledge it, but don't have anything to add to the discussion at that time. Perhaps, in time, I'll find one of the new responses more appropriate in a given circumstances.

3) If saves making some posts. If someone has already said what I'm thinking (and probably in a more irenic manner than could be expected from me), I don't have to pile on with my own comment. I can just hit 'like' instead of making a 'me too' comment.

I understand why the old like button had to go away (an upgrade to the forum software broke it, as I recall, and no replacement was available), but I, for one, am glad to see it back.

I'm glad you took off the negative options. Having "negatives" following people around just seems so unforgiving.

I'm glad you took off the negative options. Having "negatives" following people around just seems so unforgiving.
Yeah, I thought about that in retrospect. It would just follow someone around.
As much as we desire confessional integrity to be the controlling grid here, I also want it to be an inviting place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back