Post-Reformation discussions on the uprising Copernican system

Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue is one that I am reconsidering. I am not convinced that the Bible demands belief in geocentrism, but I have a difficult time reconciling heliocentrism with my commitment to Common Sense Realism.
Speaking as a common sense realist, I think it's important to remember that our perspective is limited. There are at least two ways that something may be true even though it's contrary to our senses: 1) if there's an illusion of some sort; 2) when there is another valid frame of reference (relativity). We still have direct contact with reality via the senses, but our interpretation of reality is qualified by our limited perspective.

That being the case, I think heliocentrism can be reconciled with common sense realism.

Logan, please look at the link I posted. Its scientists, not Christian ladies on internet forums. At least understand this subject better.

Respectfully, I understand this subject quite well. Nearly everything in your post is either inaccurate or completely wrong. Including Wolfson's conclusion which is absolutely not justified (and yes, I've actually read the M-M original paper). He is utilizing an experiment setup which designed to test one thing, to conclude something the experiment was not set up to even test or to falsify. That's scientific malpractice at worst, inconclusive or unhelpful at best.

Respectfully, I understand this subject quite well. Nearly everything in your post is either inaccurate or completely wrong. Including Wolfson's conclusion which is absolutely not justified (and yes, I've actually read the M-M original paper). He is utilizing an experiment setup which designed to test one thing, to conclude something the experiment was not set up to even test or to falsify. That's scientific malpractice at worst, inconclusive or unhelpful at best.
Ok, if you say you understand the subject I appreciate that and believe you are sincere.

Einstein, according to various historical records, would have disagreed with you about what M-M shows.

Einstein understood that the M-M experiment showed an earth at rest according to the physics of the time. It was in the early 1900s he published his first work on relativity which explained the results, with visible light speed appearing the same to all observers no matter what their location relative to the velocities of the measuring agents or the light source. Einstein referred here and there to M-M.

I do get it that M-M were trying the measure the ether:

The experiment compared the speed of light in perpendicular directions in an attempt to detect the relative motion of matter through the stationary luminiferous aether ("aether wind"). The result was negative, in that Michelson and Morley found no significant difference between the speed of light in the direction of movement through the presumed aether, and the speed at right angles. This result is generally considered to be the first strong evidence against the then-prevalent aether theory, as well as initiating a line of research that eventually led to special relativity, which rules out a stationary aether.[A 1] Of this experiment, Albert Einstein wrote, "If the Michelson–Morley experiment had not brought us into serious embarrassment, no one would have regarded the relativity theory as a (halfway) redemption."[A 2]: 219 

You can say that M-M proves there is no ether ( firmament). But the simple fact is, if the ether/firmament does exist, the earth is at rest.

On some old geocentric thread here I dug up and posted the link to Time Magazines Person of the Century, and the blip about how M-M left scientists bewildered, with no way to explain why the earth appeared at rest with M-M, and how the greatness of Einstein was his amazing theory that restored heliocentrism and changed physics and all that jazz. Einstein knew perfectly well that if the firmament of the bible existed, the earth was at rest, according to M-M. So he ditched the ether, and he ditched classical physics about waves and measuring the speed of waves.

Logan, you are going to heaven and that is what matters. I don't want to debate relativity with you nor is it specific to the OP. What is related to the OP is how old theologians interpreted the firmament. Is space empty, or are we embedded in something mysterious in which light waves, gravity, magnetism, etc, all propagate? Something firm and unshakable that undergirds all the universe? Is there some kind of foundation on which God placed the earth...is there a firmament? If there is, and we call it by the more modern term ether/aether, then M-M shows the earth at rest...as do other experiments.

Has anyone here got access to this source? I cannot seem to find it online.
propre marque, et prend ce titre là, pour monstrer que son essence seroit anéantie, sinon que savérité demeurast en son entier? Et que sera-ce quand les hommes viendront la falsifier, changerontl'ordre de la nature, et se desborderont iusques là? Ne faut-il pas dire que toute religion soit mise bas,et que l'essence de Dieu soit (entant qu'en eux est) foulée au pied?Ainsi donc notons sur quoy sainct Paul s'arreste, et quel regard il a quand il s'escrie quetous ceux qui cerchent des excuses frivoleB, despitent Dieu, et luy font la guerre, et qu'en la fin ils sentiront qu'il est trop forte partie pour eux, comme aussi le Prophète Zacharie en parle, Vous sentirez (dit-il), celuy que nous avons navré: vousme venez ioi donner des coups de poignard : puisqu'ainsi est, il faudra que ie desploye ma vertuafin de vous la faire sentir: et vous cognoistrezalors que vous aurez gaigné de vous estre ainsieslevez contre moy. Or nous voyons quelle instruction nous avons à recueillir de ce passage :c'est de ne point desguiser ni le bien ni le mal,mais cheminer en rondeur et en vérité : quandnous voyons quelque chose bonne et louable, quenous confessions qu'ainsi est: et ne soyons passemblables à ces fantastiques, qui ont un espritd'amertume et de contradiction, pour trouver àredire par tout, et pour pervertir l'ordre de nature.Nous en verrons d'aucuns si frénétiques, non passeulement en la religion, mais pour monstrer partout qu'ils ont une nature monstrueuse, qu'ilsdiront que le soleil ne se bouge, et que c'est laterre qui se remue et qu'elle tourne. Quand nousvoyons de tels esprits, il faut bien dire que lediable les ait possédez, et que Dieu nous les propose comme des miroirs, pour nous faire demeureren sa crainte. Ainsi en est-il de tous ceux quidebatent par certaine malice, et ausquels il nechaut d'e8tre effrontez. Quand on leur dira, Celaest chaut: Et non est (diront-ils) on voit qu'il estfroid: quand on leur monstrera une chose noire,ils diront qu'elle est blanche, ou au contraire:comme celuy qui disoit de la neige qu'elle estoitnoire. Comme ainsi soit qu'on apperçoit sa blancheur, laquelle est assez cognuë de tous, encoresy vouloit il contredire manifestement. Mais voylacomme il y a des forcenez qui voudroyent avoirchangé l'ordre de nature, mesmes avoir esblouy lesyeux des hommes, et avoir abruti tous leurs sens.Or quand les hommes lèvent les cornes iusques là, de vouloir pervertir la vraye religion, etquand il est question de la doctrine qu'ils cognoissent estre pure et saincte, ils voudroyent sedresser à l'encontre, ou en despit des hommes, oupar une folle ambition: et veulent (comme disentles Papistes) pisser au benoistier, afin qu'on parle

And what will it be when men come to falsify it, to change the order of nature, and to disrupt it until then? And what will it be when men come to falsify it, change the order of nature, and get out of hand? Is it not necessary to say that all religion should be put down, and that the essence of God should be (as in them is) trampled underfoot? So let us note on what Saint Paul stops, and what a look he has when he cries out that all those who make frivolous excuses, despise God, and make war on him, and that in the end they will feel that he is too strong a party for them, as also the Prophet Zechariah speaks of it, You will feel (he says), he whom we have grieved: You will feel (he says) that he whom we have distressed, you have come to stab me: since this is so, I must use my virtue to make you feel it, and you will know that you have despised being raised up against me in this way. Now we see what instruction we have to gather from this passage: it is not to disguise either good or evil, but to walk in roundness and truth: when we see something good and praiseworthy, let us confess that it is so: and let us not be like those fantasists, who have a spirit of bitterness and contradiction, to find fault with everything, and to pervert the order of nature. We will see some so frantic, not only in religion, but to show everywhere that they have a monstrous nature, that they will say that the sun does not move, and that it is laterre that moves and turns. When we see such spirits, it must be said that the devil has possessed them, and that God offers them to us as mirrors, to make us abide in his fear. So it is with all those who fight out of some malice, and to whom it is not good to be shameless. When one says to them, It is not important: And not is (they will say) one sees that it is cold: when one shows them a black thing, they will say that it is white, or on the contrary: as celuy who said of snow that it was black. As well as being seen as white, which is known enough to all, they would still want to contradict it. But you see how there are those who want to have changed the order of nature, even to have dazzled the eyes of men, and to have dulled all their senses. Now when men raise their horns so far as to want to pervert the true religion, and when it is a question of the doctrine which they know to be pure and holy, they want to address themselves against, or in despair of men, or by a foolish ambition: and want (as the Papists say) to piss in the binoistier, so that one speaks

The thing about the passage in Joshua 10 is that it’s a historical narrative; the Holy Spirit is the narrator. And He tells us that
“…the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

“And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.” Joshua 10:13-14

The thing about the passage in Joshua 10 is that it’s a historical narrative; the Holy Spirit is the narrator. And He tells us that
“…the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

“And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.” Joshua 10:13-14

Joshua also commanded the sun to stand "still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon." Are we to understand that the sun stood in Gibeon and the Moon literally was in the valley? Or is there a limit to how literally one should interpret this? The passage isn't even remotely trying to teach anything regarding geocentrism or heliocentrism, so why demand this of it?

If I was writing about this event, I would describe it in exactly the same terms, even with a heliocentric belief. I wouldn't even think to say "the earth stopped rotating so that it appeared that the sun stood still in the sky." That would be terrible way of communicating this miracle. There is nothing in this passage that demands a geocentric view unless one already wants to see it and I'm greatly saddened that how one reads this passage seems to have become almost a test of the true extent of one's faith in God's word, at least with some.

But again, the OP is apparently not talking about this. He's talking about Genesis 1.

Those are great sources, Dave, though they are still not the one that I am looking for from Calvin Theological Journal. As someone from Ireland once said, "I still haven't found what I am looking for!" ;)

Joshua also commanded the sun to stand "still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon." Are we to understand that the sun stood in Gibeon and the Moon literally was in the valley? Or is there a limit to how literally one should interpret this? The passage isn't even remotely trying to teach anything regarding geocentrism or heliocentrism, so why demand this of it?

If I was writing about this event, I would describe it in exactly the same terms, even with a heliocentric belief. I wouldn't even think to say "the earth stopped rotating so that it appeared that the sun stood still in the sky." That would be terrible way of communicating this miracle. There is nothing in this passage that demands a geocentric view unless one already wants to see it and I'm greatly saddened that how one reads this passage seems to have become almost a test of the true extent of one's faith in God's word, at least with some.

But again, the OP is apparently not talking about this. He's talking about Genesis 1.
Logan, you’re right that the OP wasn’t asking for debate or discussion (he’s asking for historical resources). But are you asking the PB not to be the PB? :) We’re known for taking a bit offered by an OP in our mouths and running with it.

I really would like to hear an explanation of how Joshua 10:13-14 is not teaching and affirming that the sun and moon move. (Also Isaiah 38:8.) Are there any other historical narratives in the Bible that are believed to contain such misleading language and erroneous observation as these two passages? This is a sincere question for anyone.

I really would like to hear an explanation of how Joshua 10:13-14 is not teaching and affirming that the sun and moon move. (Also Isaiah 38:8.) Are there any other historical narratives in the Bible that are believed to contain such misleading language and erroneous observation as these two passages? This is a sincere question for anyone.
I went and read all of the old threads on this I could find. Rev Winzer, AMR, au5t1n, and some others emphasised that external evidence should not influence the way we read the text, to which I agree. Rev Winzer talked about internal markers in the text. And there was talk about plenary inspiration and the effect of the phenomenological approach on the nature of miracles. A lot of this went over my head.

Perhaps this is a good time to open up this topic, not based on natural revelation but only on special revelation; how we should understand passages like the one in Joshua 10. Particularly regarding plenary inspiration. Should I start a new thread?

PS: One helpful interaction on the science behind it (natural revelation) was concluded by Ben Maas, here, and read as follows:

If God says in the Bible, that the earth is fixed and everything else moves around it, our concept of motion does not/would not change. The only thing that would change is our view of what is the absolute reference point.
Confessor said:
I agree with this absolutely. I do not know why I did not mention it earlier. I should have moved from my position that motion always depends on an arbitrary reference point to the fact that God has decreed that Earth is the reference point -- thus it is non-arbitrary in the truest sense of the term. Thanks for the correction. :)

As Rev. Winzer said, if Joshua ordered that the sun stop, then he ordered that the sun actually stop. Earth is in fact the reference point.

Last edited:
As far as coordinate systems or frame of reference, sure. As far as general physics, no, they are not equally valid or almost all the matter in the universe would be moving faster than the speed of light under the one system, and at that point you've broken your entire system and have a whole lot of other problems beside frame of reference to deal with.
Using the same assumptions, a heliocentric model would have exactly the same problems as a geocentric model, to the extent that they are actually problems.

They argued about it as men of their specific context and specific level of knowledge would.

Yes, and we do, too.

The question then becomes: how much of our level of supposed knowledge really is “knowledge”? And here I would argue that, no matter how one’s current position is on the matter at hand, believing in the system we are being taught is no more than that: a belief. Because ultimately, it rests upon the principle of assent upon testimony, just the same way as our faith does, too.

It might be a good idea, especially if @Apologia Christou wants the thread to stick to his search for post-Reformation discussions.
He's specifically asking about Genesis 1 and whether light exists apart from the sun.

@Apologia Christou I remembered a verse that I think might help you:
Revelation 22:5 "And there shall be no night there; and they need to candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lod God giveth them light."
Also Revelation 21:23 "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof."

We can glean a couple of things from this regarding your question:
1. The sun is clearly the primary source of light in this world today. That's spelled out.
2. God can have a source of light apart from the sun. He did at the beginning, and he will after it is ended.

It might be a good idea, especially if @Apologia Christou wants the thread to stick to his search for post-Reformation discussions.

I don’t really mind.

He's specifically asking about Genesis 1 and whether light exists apart from the sun.

@Apologia Christou I remembered a verse that I think might help you:
Revelation 22:5 "And there shall be no night there; and they need to candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lod God giveth them light."
Also Revelation 21:23 "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof."

We can glean a couple of things from this regarding your question:
1. The sun is clearly the primary source of light in this world today. That's spelled out.
2. God can have a source of light apart from the sun. He did at the beginning, and he will after it is ended.

First of all, what you do has nothing to do with exegesis. You jump from one Vers and context of the Bible to some other and draw conclusions based on that. It’s like me saying yeah, Jesus says that no one can come to me lest my Father draws him, and then jump to the other Vers and say: “see, Jesus draws all people to himself” etc. You can do that after the process of exegesis is being done.

But nonetheless, I don’t see how Revelation makes the sun the source of daylight. All it says it that the sun is shining, just as the moon is. So any respect to daylight can not be in view here. No one ever denied that the sun shines, I mean Genesis 1 teaches the very same thing.

Q. Does the sun stand still and is the earth turning?
A. Not at all, but the sun always turns around the earth.

vrag. Staet de Son stil en draeyt de aerde?​
antw. Geensins, maer de Son loopt altijd rondom den aerdkloot.​

Q. Prove it
A. Scripture speaks about the turning of the sun. Ps. 19:5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

vrag. Bewijst dat eens​
antw. De Schriftuur spreekt van den omloop der Sonne. Psam 19:6. Die is als een bruydegom, utygaende uyt sijne slaepkamer; sy is vrolijk als een held, om het pad te lopen.​

Q. Do you have another prove?
A. Yes, 2. The standing still of the sun is marked in Scripture as a great miracle. Josh. 10:12,13 Then spake Joshua to the LORD … and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. … So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

vrag. Hebt gy nog een bewijs?​
antw. Ja. 2. Het stilstaen der sonne werd in de Schriftuur aengeteekent als een groot wonderwerk. Jos.: 10:12,13. Doe sprak Josua tot den Heere … en seyde voor de oogen der Israëliten, Sonne staet stille te Gibeon, ende gy Maene in ’t dal Ajalons. Ende de Sonne stont stille ende de Maene bleef staen, tot dat sig het volk aen sijne vyanden gewrooken hadde … de Sonne nu stont stille in ’t midden des hemels, ende en haestede niet onder te gaen ontrent eenen volkomenen dag.

Aegidius Francken, Kern der Christelyke Leere, Cap. VII Van de Scheppinge

In his lengthier Stellige God-geleertheyd the he gives two additional reasons: The scripture teaches us that the earth stands still, Ps. 93.1 and sun went 10 steps back in the time of king Achaz, Isa. 38:8.

(Rev. Aegidius Francken (1676-1743) was a contemporary of W. á Brakel (1635-1711). Frankens’ Kern still remains populair in the Netherlands with new editions every generation. When the synod of the Christelijke afgescheidene gereformeerde kerken of 1857 gave their instruction for the Theological School (art. 109), they mentioned the books of Joh. à Mark, D. le Roy and A. Francken as examples for the study of Systematic Theology.)

First of all, what you do has nothing to do with exegesis. You jump from one Vers and context of the Bible to some other and draw conclusions based on that. It’s like me saying yeah, Jesus says that no one can come to me lest my Father draws him, and then jump to the other Vers and say: “see, Jesus draws all people to himself” etc. You can do that after the process of exegesis is being done.

Scripture interprets Scripture. One should not limit themselves to one passage before consulting all the counsel of God.

But nonetheless, I don’t see how Revelation makes the sun the source of daylight. All it says it that the sun is shining, just as the moon is. So any respect to daylight can not be in view here. No one ever denied that the sun shines, I mean Genesis 1 teaches the very same thing.

Then you are going to have to be more clear as to what you mean. You stated:

"concerning Genesis 1, where the context clearly is visible creation, it seems to strongly imply that daylight is not the result of the sun, but works and exists independently of it."

and

"Furthermore, why would God do such a thing? Like creating light on day one, and then a few days later giving the sun as the source of light. Did he make a mistake?"

and

"I read Calvin on that today, since I had his Genesis commentary in front of me and ye, he just says there that from then on the sun was the source of light. So he is with you there, for example, as probably a lot of people are. But to me that doesn't make sense out of the text and context, but instead involves heavy eisegesis."

I'd suggest trying to be more humble in your inquiry and open to correction. Your attitude thus far has come across to me as "nobody else, including Calvin, sees this big problem I see so they are all wrong." Are you seeking instruction and clarification, or are you seeking to prove you're right and everyone else wrong? You don't seem to be open to attempts to help present you alternatives so far.

Thomas Doolittle (1632-1707) on earthquakes, based on Acts 16:26
This moving of the Earth is far different from that constant motion that some Philosophers ascribe unto it; for amongst the several Systems of the World which Astronomers have invented, three are more famous, one by Ptolemy, the other by Copernicus, and the third by Tycho Brache. Copernicus following the Pythagoreans, asserts the motion of the Earth, and the Sun to be in the Center of the World, without motion; that the Earth hath two motions, one Diurnal, which is performed about its own Axis in the space of 24 hours, and from this motion do arise our days and nights: the other Annual, whereby it is carried about the Sun, from the West towards the East, according to the succession of Signs of the Zodiac. Where then is the miracle▪ of the Sun's standing still in Joshua 's days, if it stand still in all Ages? where is the wonder of the Earths moving, if it whirl about every 24 hours with so swift a motion? why cannot all People discern this constant motion of the Earth, that do perceive its shaking for a few minutes, and are so much affrighted at it? Are the Pillars of the Earth turned into Wheels? Some have denied all motion, some affirm too much: but as when all motion was denied, a Philosopher to prove it, rose up and walked; so when the constant, daily, and yearly motion of the Earth is asserted, we may know by our Senses that it stands still; but these great men of reason (so they are) will, give you this presently for an Axiom, Sensibus non est fidendum, you must not believe, nor trust your Senses: which yet for the sake of the Doctrine of Transubstantiation, I should not readily receive; but knowing that my Senses cannot err about their proper object, when it is presented at a due distance, through a right disposed, a Papist shall not persuade me that the Bread after Consecration is not Bread, and that the Wine is not Wine, nor a Copernican that the Earth doth naturally move, when in the one, by my Senses I discern it to be Bread and Wine, and not real Flesh and Blood carnally and corporally taken, and in the other, that the Earth stands fast and still, so much confidence I will put in my Senses: a drunken man that by excess hath disturbed his head, might conceit the Earth turns round, and the room where he is doth move, when the motion and turning is in his Brains, and when he hath slept himself sober will perceive, what he thought before did move, doth then stand still. But it being not proper, nor profitable to this Assembly to debate Philosophical Controversies, I shall dismiss them, and retain you with what may be more advantageous for your Souls, in treating of this amazing work of God which you so lately did discern, and then were so much astonished at, and affected with, viz. God's shaking of the Earth under your feet, and the Houses over your heads; that you did think the one did reel under you, and the other would fall upon you. History is full, and your own Experience can give an instance of God's terrible shaking of the Earth. Some you have heard of, and one you have seen and felt. Earthquakes! some you have read, and have been told you, by which Multitudes have been destroyed. Earthquakes! one you have seen, and yet are preserved. Earthquakes! in some God's wrath hath been poured out, and in some his grace and mercy hath been shewn forth: some ending in destruction, and some in the conversion of sinners. Oh! that this you have seen with your own eyes might have the like issue and effect on you, as that you hear of from this Text had upon the Jailor, stir you up with fear and trembling, to go to your Ministers, as he did to the Apostles, saying, asking, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? that by the Word of God following this mighty work of God, you may be awakened to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus, you and your House, as the Jailor did, and all his House.

Scripture interprets Scripture. One should not limit themselves to one passage before consulting all the counsel of God.

Sure, brother, no one denies that. But you first or all gotta exegete everything you can out of the passage in front of you, so that you know what it’s about, and then therefore can compare it with other Scriptures which seem to speak about the very same issue at hand, if there are any problems, or in general to throw more light upon it. Because if you don’t properly exegete it first of all, how can you compare it with other Scriptures? You don’t even know what it’s about.

Then you are going to have to be more clear as to what you mean. You stated:

"concerning Genesis 1, where the context clearly is visible creation, it seems to strongly imply that daylight is not the result of the sun, but works and exists independently of it."

and

"Furthermore, why would God do such a thing? Like creating light on day one, and then a few days later giving the sun as the source of light. Did he make a mistake?"

and

"I read Calvin on that today, since I had his Genesis commentary in front of me and ye, he just says there that from then on the sun was the source of light. So he is with you there, for example, as probably a lot of people are. But to me that doesn't make sense out of the text and context, but instead involves heavy eisegesis."

I'd suggest trying to be more humble in your inquiry and open to correction. Your attitude thus far has come across to me as "nobody else, including Calvin, sees this big problem I see so they are all wrong." Are you seeking instruction and clarification, or are you seeking to prove you're right and everyone else wrong? You don't seem to be open to attempts to help present you alternatives so far.

I don’t understand what you mean by being more humble and open to correction. Given you the reasons why I don’t go with Calvin or you in this issue is making me somehow not humble or not open to correction? If I didn’t give you any reasons, this would be a different matter. But I don’t see why you would stamp me that way even thou I explained my dilemma and told you why I differ with you on Genesis 1. I mean, what exactly did (or do) you expect me to do? I am a little confused.

Concerning the quotes of yours: what’s wrong with them? I said that according to my understanding of the text, daylight is not the result of the sun, since it was there from day one. The sun lights the day and shines the day, just as the moon lights and shines the night, but none of them actually affect the daylight or darkness in which they operate. It would be day and bright without the sun, and it would be night and dark without the moon. Sure, there is a difference when the moon is out and full and gives light to the night, than when there is no moon at all, but it’s night and dark in the one case as in the other. And so it would have to be with the sun also.

And what your texts in the Revelation are saying is simply that there will be no night anymore, and neither will you need the light of the sun nor of the moon to shine, but the glory of God itself will shine and light the New Jerusalem.

Is that clear, now? Let me know.

Do you want to know how I escape the arguments of science? Easy. Creation was a miracle, and we don't have any idea what all that entailed.

One example:
Consider the loaves and fishes Jesus provided for the crowds. There's not a man of science in the world that, according to the scientific method, could discover the age of the fishes. When examined, he could only conclude that the fish began its life in the usual way, let's say, three years ago and slowly grew to its press size.

Although this scientist would need to make several assumptions, there is one point he could be sure of. That the fish was not created a mere hour or two ago. And he would be right. The sientific method knows nothing of miracles. Even an honest Christan scientist that witnessed the miracle, could arrive at a different conclusion.

But they would be wrong.

Do you want to know how I escape the arguments of science? Easy. Creation was a miracle, and we don't have any idea what all that entailed.

One example:
Consider the loaves and fishes Jesus provided for the crowds. There's not a man of science in the world that, according to the scientific method, could discover the age of the fishes. When examined, he could only conclude that the fish began its life in the usual way, let's say, three years ago and slowly grew to its press size.

Although this scientist would need to make several assumptions, there is one point he could be sure of. That the fish was not created a mere hour or two ago. And he would be right. The sientific method knows nothing of miracles. Even an honest Christan scientist that witnessed the miracle, could arrive at a different conclusion.

But they would be wrong.

Not sure why you're replying to me. I have no disagreement.

But the OP seems to think that sound exegesis of Genesis 1 demands that we believe that the sun is currently not and never has been the source of daylight. Possible? Yes, anything is possible with God. Necessary? I sure don't see it.

But the OP seems to think that sound exegesis of Genesis 1 demands that we believe that the sun is currently not and never has been the source of daylight. Possible? Yes, anything is possible with God. Necessary? I sure don't see it.

If you just stay here, Genesis 1, within the context of the very first act of visible creation, and also consider the fact that nothing else has ever been changed ever since, and forget about anything you have ever learned to the contrary, then yes, this is a strong argument that we would have to come to that conclusion. That your argument on Vers 14 doesn’t hold I have shown before (I assume you see that). On these grounds, it is reasonable to suppose that this is what is being taught here.

Now, could I be wrong? Of course, but I would like to see some scriptural grounds for that. I haven’t come across any yet, but maybe it would be a good idea to do some study on that issue. All I have ever come across is, that the light source changed. But of course, this is being read into the text by necessity, since we “know” that the sun gives us the light.

But of course, this is being read into the text by necessity, since we “know” that the sun gives us the light.

And if there were any question, Revelation specifically tells us the sun gives light, as I pointed out.

Perhaps your terminology is inconsistent as you sometimes seem to equate "light" with "daylight" and at other times insist they aren't the same.

And if there were any question, Revelation specifically tells us the sun gives light, as I pointed out.

Perhaps your terminology is inconsistent as you sometimes seem to equate "light" with "daylight" and at other times insist they aren't the same.

I am not aware that I ever equated light with daylight here, since I am really careful to distinguish these two. Where do you think I did just that?

The sun does give light, just as the moon. But that doesn’t mean that without the sun it would be dark. It’s rather that without the sun there wouldn’t be anything shining anymore, it would just be bright, similar when the sun is just setting behind the horizon. You see the same kind of difference with the moon. On a night in the forest without the moon it would be pretty dark, but with the moon out it’s shining actually makes a difference, but it is still clearly dark outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back