Posting on the Sabbath and the 4th commandment

Is posting on Christian Message boards a break in the 4th commandment?

• Yes it is a break

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • No, it is not a break

Votes: 55 91.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The law was made for them, not for us now is what I meant

So of the three uses of the law, we don't need the law now to drive us to Christ or to show us how to live a life out of gratitude now?

WCF 19
V. The moral law does forever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof;[8] and that, not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it.[9] Neither does Christ, in the Gospel, any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.[10]
VI. Although true believers be not under the law, as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified, or condemned;[11] yet is it of great use to them, as well as to others; in that, as a rule of life informing them of the will of God, and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly;[12] discovering also the sinful pollutions of their nature, hearts and lives;[13] so as, examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against sin,[14] together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ, and the perfection of His obedience.[15] It is likewise of use to the regenerate, to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin:[16] and the threatenings of it serve to show what even their sins deserve; and what afflictions, in this life, they may expect for them, although freed from the curse thereof threatened in the law.[17] The promises of it, in like manner, show them God's approbation of obedience,and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof:[18] although not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works.[19] So as, a man's doing good, and refraining from evil, because the law encourages to the one and deters from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law: and not under grace.[20]
VII. Neither are the forementioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it;[21] the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely, and cheerfully, which the will of God, revealed in the law, requires to be done.[22] (Chris: What a great statement!!! How expierential!)

Romans 7:12-25 12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. 13 Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful. 14 For we know that the Law is spiritual; but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 15 For that which I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not wish to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that it is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which indwells me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the wishing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I wish, I do not do; but I practice the very evil that I do not wish. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not wish, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wishes to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

Romans 2:13 13 for not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Romans 3:30-31 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one. 31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

1 Corinthians 9:8-9 8 I am not speaking these things according to human judgment, am I? Or does not the Law also say these things? 9 For it is written in the Law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing." God is not concerned about oxen, is He?

~Why would Paul say these things if the law was not important?

and here again:

1 Corinthians 14:34 34 Let the women keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but let them subject themselves, just as the Law also says.

I think we should close the PB while I'm at work so I'm not tempted to break the 8th commandment.

If Puritan Board were Jerusalem and Nehemiah were at the gate on the Lord's Day, what would he refuse to permit on God's Day?

These jump out glaringly:
"Let's do business"
"Entertainment and Humor"

and these less so:
"Politics and Gov't"
"Puritan Pub"
"Computers and Technology"
"Iron Chef"

What would he clearly permit? If the site/Jerusalem were set aside for God alone and His worship:

"Pray ye like this"
The Theological Forums
Reformed Chat Room even for godly speech.
Others that are strictly for Christian edification/education

We could loosen the reins the rest of the week for all the subjects. We have to be accountable to one another.

To my brother from New Zealand, perhaps some hi-tech tag could identify you as being in a particular time zone. This would allow you access to all sites unless it was your Lord's Day.

Again, this is not to burden us but to tighten up shabby living on the Lord's Day. I am sure it would help us be sanctified the rest of the week. The tenor of the site would change, too.

I think we should at least lock the business forum and the political ones, and yes, the entertainment ones on Sunday. I think Rev. Winzer will likely behave himself without locking him out, I notice he seems to refrain from posting on his Lord's Day.

I'd love to see the prayer and theological forums open and actually being used on Sunday. We could maybe even have a forum specifically for discussing the sermons we'd heard, and that some of you preached each week. :2cents:

We could maybe even have a forum specifically for discussing the sermons we'd heard, and that some of you preached each week. :2cents:

:up: :up:
I think this has been the best idea generated this whole thread. I recommend we do this regardless of the Sabbath issue.

Outlines and even links to the audio could be posted. I would recommend that we establish a format for the Title of the thread that would include date-Text-Title-Speaker for ease of navigating through the sermons later. We don't want to reinvent Sermon audio but hey a little organization never hurt anyone...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back