Postmillennialists who hold to a literal millennium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDM

Puritan Board Junior
I need a list of postmillennialists who hold to a literal 1,000 year millennium. I also need a list of postmillennialists that hold to a figurative millennium (like amillennialists).

I'll start the lists:

Figurative
Boettner
Warfield
Edwards

Literal
???
???
???

Thanks!

The Postmil Camp

I need a list of postmillennialists who hold to a literal 1,000 year millennium. I also need a list of postmillennialists that hold to a figurative millennium (like amillennialists).

I'll start the lists:

Figurative
Boettner
Warfield
Edwards
Thanks!

I would add
Kenneth Gentry
Greg Bahnsen
Keith Mathison
Kenneth Talbot (President of Whitefield Seminary)
Jerry Johnson (Nicene Council.com)

I am not aware of any literal Postmil, because none in the Postmil camp have dated that exact 1000 years that would have passed according to this viewpoint. I am still looking at Scripture and reading and cogitating myself. :gpl:

Millennial Dreams

Bahnsen sees the millennium as encompassing the entire interadventual age, and given the way he states his position in his Victory in Jesus book on postmillennialism, it sounds as if that position is historically more prevalent.

If it is in fact more prevalent, and considering that more than 1000 years have passed since the first advent, then the pool of possible postmils who hold to a literal millennium would be quite small.

In fact, it seems almost a guarantee that a literal 1000-year postmillennialist would be in the vast minority.

I think that you might find postmils from e.g. the Seventeenth Century, Eighteenth Century and even later holding to a literal thousand year scheme.

There's no need to change one's literal postmil position if one is living after AD 1000, because if you were a literal postmil, I assume you might not believe that the thousand years commenced until there were signs of Christian world ascendency e.g. the conversion of the Jews, the conversion of the nations with their governments, the fall of Romanism and false religion.

The more modern postmils have wisely incorporated the best of amil exegetical insights into their scheme. Amil is postmil in orientation, anyway, without the Golden Age of postmil (and biblical prophecy) - whether that's held to be 1,000 years or longer.

I somehow recall that Edwards in his History of Redemption held to a literal 1000 years, and even thought that Peter the Great was going to help get things started. But it has been a while, so I could be wrong on that.

I somehow recall that Edwards in his History of Redemption held to a literal 1000 years, and even thought that Peter the Great was going to help get things started. But it has been a while, so I could be wrong on that.

No, he said it is a very long period of time.

I do not think anyone ever thought it would be only 1,000 years. As no ones thinks that God only owns the cattle on ONLY 1,000 hills.

I am a fugurative thinker on the postmil side. I don't really think that I know anyone in history that was a literal postmil thousand year thinker.

I don't really think that I know anyone in history that was a literal postmil thousand year thinker.

But there must be some because Bahnsen mentions it. I've never heard him (on MP3) mention any names but he does mention that there are those who believed in a literal 1000 years,

I don't really think that I know anyone in history that was a literal postmil thousand year thinker.

But there must be some because Bahnsen mentions it. I've never heard him (on MP3) mention any names but he does mention that there are those who believed in a literal 1000 years,

Did Bahnsen specify that these people were postmillenialists? A literal belief sounds more dispensational to me.

Did Bahnsen specify that these people were postmillenialists? A literal belief sounds more dispensational to me.

Yes, he did specify that they were postmillenialists. I was surprized myself.

-----Added 5/27/2009 at 11:26:35 EST-----

I think I heard that from one of these Ben. MP3 - Bahnsen - Why Am I a Postmillennialist?

Technically Augustine (he held all three major positions, at different times in his life) as he thought that Christ would return literally one thousand years after his ascension.

It was Dr. Smith, of GPTS, one of my professors, who told me / us about the literal postmillers. I'm trying to find sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back