Power as a Prince to Prevail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
If you want a great thematic study of the book of Genesis, I cannot more highly recommend a work than Robert Smith Candlish's Studies in Genesis. I have read through it before, and several chapters several times over. I read this morning the section pertaining to Jacob and Esau's meet, and am reminded of what a great work it is:

WHEN Jacob got the name of Israel (xxxii. 28), it was explained to mean that not only with God, but with men also, he had power as a prince to prevail. His power, as a prince, to prevail with God appears in this, that the Angel—the Lord who came upon him as an adversary to wrestle with him—is constrained by his vehement and prolonged importunity to bless him. His power, as a prince, to prevail with men appears in this, that his brother—advancing towards him in hostile array and with hostile intentions—is moved, on the first sight of the man whom he meant to crush, to shed tears of fraternal love. This last instance of his power is indeed but another form of the first. When God is against him, dealing with him so as to weaken his strength and smite him to the dust, Jacob cannot face an angry Esau. But when, weakened and smitten, with broken bones and broken heart, Jacob is yet enabled to keep hold of the very Saviour who is wrestling with him;—to “weep and make supplication to him,” and refuse to let him go until he receive his blessing;—then, this very weakness being his strength, Israel may boldly say: “the Lord is my helper, I will not fear what man may do unto me.” Having overcome even God himself, he will not now shrink from the face of Esau.​

And Christ is the ultimate fulfilment of that as the Prince who prevails with God, and with Man in the Gospel.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back