Practical Application of Matthew 5:38-41

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan95

Puritan Board Sophomore
How are we to practically understand the verses in Matt 5:38-41?
I dont know of an instance where you would let someone hit you twice without defending yourself. Or maybe thats's exactly what is being taught! Haha, this might seem like a silly question based on an incredibly popular few verses but still, I'm curious as to how it should play out practically in our lives.

Edit: Also how do we not resist evil but, at the same time, resist the devil per James 4:7

A couple thoughts:

1) Jesus specifically uses the image of slapping on the cheek here. This was a gesture of insult, not assault. Jesus is not saying, like John Piper has been accused of, that if someone breaks in your property and begins raping your wife you just “turn the other cheek.”

2) It is also important to note that proper vengeance for actual assault is to be left to the proper authorities, and not taken up by the individual (unless in self-defense, which isn’t vengeance anyway). I am wondering if Jesus’ addressing the lex talionis in Leviticus has to do with the fact that maybe the Jews of his day thought it provided for individual vengeance, as opposed to punishment from a proper civil authority, which is what the Law means when it says “eye for eye, etc.”

@Taylor Sexton That makes sense. So it's essentially teaching against retaliation? As in, better to let yourself be insulted? What would you make of the "going the extra mile" and "give your cloak also"? Also, how can we resist the devil but avoid "resisting evil" in this context? Just looking for further clarification. Others may chime in to answer as well. Not looking for an answer from you specifically haha.

As Christians, sometimes for the good of the kingdom it is better to endure a mistreatment and scorn than to be zealous for every right and privilege that we have. This is not to say that there is never a time to respond by defending ourselves. We cannot take these verses in isolation. I think of two easy examples. 1) Christ during his trial endured mockery scorn and contempt even though he had every right to be the one who was examining Pilate and the Sanhedrin. 2) Paul was about to be whipped but invoked his rights as a Roman citizen in order to prevent the punishment. Certainly Christ wasn't wrong in his approach and I don't think Paul was either. I think in both cases they did what was needed to advance the kingdom of God. What we are never to do is to respond in vengeance, that is clear. "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, saith the Lord".

As Christians, sometimes for the good of the kingdom it is better to endure a mistreatment and scorn than to be zealous for every right and privilege that we have. This is not to say that there is never a time to respond by defending ourselves. We cannot take these verses in isolation. I think of two easy examples. 1) Christ during his trial endured mockery scorn and contempt even though he had every right to be the one who was examining Pilate and the Sanhedrin. 2) Paul was about to be whipped but invoked his rights as a Roman citizen in order to prevent the punishment. Certainly Christ wasn't wrong in his approach and I don't think Paul was either. I think in both cases they did what was needed to advance the kingdom of God. What we are never to do is to respond in vengeance, that is clear. "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, saith the Lord".
While I agree with everything you've stated, I have some more thoughts to add. At first blush, it seems to be about willingly giving yourself up to further mistreatment just as much as enduring whatever mistreatment comes upon you.

E.g. If someone insults you, give yourself up to another slap. If someone tries to take your tunic do not stop him from even taking your cloak. If someone forces you to go a mile, offer up double. It is a commandment not to resist evil. Well. What is the opposite of resisting it? Asking for it to be worse? Giving yourself up to it? What does this mean and look like practically? And how do we obey this commandment while at the same time making sure to resist the devil. What are the two different types of "resisting" being spoken about in these passages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back