Practical benefits of the Baptism ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretched Man

Puritan Board Freshman
I'll preface by stating as a self-identified reformed Baptist attending an OPC, the various comments and condemnations I hear regarding my disagreement with infant baptism do not go unheeded. I have had great conviction over whether I am neglecting my children by not accepting infant baptism for them and spent quite some time wrestling with this subject.

Setting aside covenant theology interpretations and circumstantial evidence in scripture of infant baptism, I would like to address the practical benefits of the ceremony itself. Needless to say, the ceremony itself is not the true Baptism, but a sign of it. That said... I believe it is safe to say the Baptismal ceremony commanded by Christ for us to execute is an act.
  1. As an act, would anyone disagree that there is practical value to it? Is it not more than just a formality or means to convey a message?
  2. Presuming there is practical value to the Baptismal ceremony, what is it? I personally view it primarily in the form of a vow that facilitates conviction for the person making their profession of faith in front of a congregation who can hold them accountable.
  3. Whatever practical values you ascribe, is there a tension or forced dichotomy of practical benefits when you administer this ceremony to some who are infants (unable to comprehend, participate, or recollect the ceremony) and others who are adults?
While my Presbyterian brethren claim I am neglecting my children by not baptizing them as infants, I worry the true neglect is depriving them of the opportunity to later receive the ceremony with proper conviction, acceptance, and participation.

Rom 3:1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
Rom 3:2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Rom 3:1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
Rom 3:2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
Yet Paul condemns the practicality of circumcision, as it being apart of the law (as emphasized just prior to these verses in Romans 2, later in chapter 3, and elsewhere such as Galatians 5:2) which no one is able to keep. He goes on from your quoted verses later in 3:21 to stress faith over works... "But now...through faith". Are we to replace one impractical ceremony devoid of faith with another?

Yet Paul condemns the practicality of circumcision, as it being apart of the law (as emphasized just prior to these verses in Romans 2, later in chapter 3, and elsewhere such as Galatians 5:2) which no one is able to keep. He goes on from your quoted verses later in 3:21 to stress faith over works... "But now...through faith". Are we to replace one impractical ceremony devoid of faith with another?

Look, you said you wanted to focus on the practical issue of giving the sacramental sign to a child/infant or let's say for someone who doesn't have faith (since many adults/teenagers are baptized who don't have saving faith). So at least to me you didn't want to talk about the doctrine of infant baptism so much as what are the practical benefits of it. Not a bad question. So using Scripture to interpret Scripture, what better place to go then to see what is perhaps more clear to everyone and that is the covenant sign of circumcision that was applied to the Jews under the Abrahamic Covenant? Given the following similarities of both physical and spiritual circumcision and physical and spiritual baptism (below), it seems quite relevant in answering your own question of the practical benefits of baptism (not just infant baptism, but the plain sign of the covenant promise of baptism) that one quote Romans 3:1-2. Now, of course, that includes a context of Romans 2 and what follows 3:1-2. But it's quite clear that there is some benefit to covenant signs. And given that the Abraham covenant sign of circumcision was applied to males both adult and infants, then it too applies here to your question concerning the practicality of applying water baptism to adults and infants.

Circumcision and Baptism (see this link for Scripture references)
1. Sign and Seal of the Covenant of Grace
2. Union with Christ
3. Symbolizes Regeneration
4. Remission of sins
5. Obliges recipient to walk in newness of life
6. Initiates membership in the covenant community
7. Given to entire households
8. Mere outward reception of the sign is of no benefit
9. A great sin to contemn or neglect
10. Can be saved without it
11. Permanent/to be administered only once
12. Given to offspring
13. Given to non-elect in the covenant community

Further, Paul doesn't condemn circumcision's practicality. He's condemning the use of circumcision as some sort of special standing for the Jews who rejected Jesus Christ and didn't believe. To them, circumcision is a judgment. And just the same for those who believe in the command of infant baptism, those who are baptized but reject Christ and do not believe they are condemned and judged for it. The same as those adults and teenagers who are baptized upon their fake profession of faith...they are condemned and judged all the more.

Last edited:
I'll preface by stating as a self-identified reformed Baptist attending an OPC, the various comments and condemnations I hear regarding my disagreement with infant baptism do not go unheeded. I have had great conviction over whether I am neglecting my children by not accepting infant baptism for them and spent quite some time wrestling with this subject.

Setting aside covenant theology interpretations and circumstantial evidence in scripture of infant baptism, I would like to address the practical benefits of the ceremony itself. Needless to say, the ceremony itself is not the true Baptism, but a sign of it. That said... I believe it is safe to say the Baptismal ceremony commanded by Christ for us to execute is an act.
  1. As an act, would anyone disagree that there is practical value to it? Is it not more than just a formality or means to convey a message?
  2. Presuming there is practical value to the Baptismal ceremony, what is it? I personally view it primarily in the form of a vow that facilitates conviction for the person making their profession of faith in front of a congregation who can hold them accountable.
  3. Whatever practical values you ascribe, is there a tension or forced dichotomy of practical benefits when you administer this ceremony to some who are infants (unable to comprehend, participate, or recollect the ceremony) and others who are adults?
While my Presbyterian brethren claim I am neglecting my children by not baptizing them as infants, I worry the true neglect is depriving them of the opportunity to later receive the ceremony with proper conviction, acceptance, and participation.
1. The WCF just says what it says. Either you agree with it, or you don't; but it's no shock to find Presbyterians agreeing with its expressions. Under most situations, yours being an exceptional arrangement, a bald statement about whether neglecting a command is a "great sin" or not would hardly be controversial. And in your case, it is seldom brought out to wave in your face at church, I'm almost certain. That tells me they'd rather you were there, and conforming to conscience; than going elsewhere with less access to the means of grace.

2. Practical benefits. Certainly the Presbyterian admits a practical value; in some venues, what we claim as a practical value would strike some Baptists as "too close to Romanism" for their taste. Our view is hostile to Rome's, but we do regard baptism as a means of grace; and so too do we regard the ancient prescription given to Abraham, and continued in the nation of Israel, regarding the application of the covenant sign of the former ages.

We also take vows, in conjunction with baptism. Sometimes those vows are taken by an adult convert. And with children, we expect a believing parent (and member) to take vows. Moreover, later on when communing at the Table is appropriate for a child baptized in infancy, we obtain public vows by them for themselves.

You point out that in your view, baptism is primarily a public "vow that facilitates conviction for the person making their profession of faith." This would be a difference between what is primary for you, and what is primary for our view.

We regard baptism as primarily a public declaration by God, through the church (so, an institutional act, moreso than an individual act), whereby certain declarations (promises) are made unto faith--whenever, wherever that faith shows itself, not once but many perhaps thousands of times in a man's life. It is a gospel promise: that God will cleanse his believer from all sin, even you [enter name here] as by faith you take hold of his promise. In testimony of this promise, God's mark or branding of ownership is applied; externally the instrument is pure water.

Now, since the Body of Christ is single, every baptism one attends is affirmation of the concept, "one Lord, one faith, one baptism." We are duty bound (WCL.167) to improve each person his own baptism "when we are present at the administration of it to others." We may not recall the time of administration of that baptism to ourselves; however none of us remembers his literal birthday either; but many times rejoices over the fact of it.

Just so, not everyone (even adults) has a clear memory of his reception of baptism. But vastly more important than the memory is the substance of the divine promise being claimed in the present moment. Anyone who rests solely in the fact he was baptized, and does not unite that act with the faith of which it was intended to be a witness, is deluded.

There is no necessary "tension or forced dichotomy" between those baptized young or old, because the validation of baptism to the Presbyterian is not grounded in either the personal affirmation or the (un)reliability of human memory. Baptism's validity is grounded in the divine promise of the gospel, and the memorial of it is typically accessed through the testimony of external witnesses, especially the official record of the church together with those who participated/observed.

I may remember passing my driver's test, and even getting my DL. But those memories do not "count" when I get stopped and am asked to produce evidence that I am driving with permission. My private, individual word may be true (and for some, the assertion is a lie), but is not on account of that self-serving testimony of value in a traffic stop; or elsewhere where proof of my identity is made by producing the item. A DL is a prima facie, third-party evidence that I am who I say, and I'm entitled to drive the public roads.​

I'm not aiming to reduce or eliminate the value you have placed on the personal witness often associated immediately with baptism; nor downplay the worth of the memory. But memory fades, and sometimes is lost. And yet, nothing baptism affirms is really lost in the mists of the mind.

Look, you said you wanted to focus on the practical issue of giving the sacramental sign to a child/infant or let's say for someone who doesn't have faith (since many adults/teenagers are baptized who don't have saving faith). So at least to me you didn't want to talk about the doctrine of infant baptism so much as what are the practical benefits of it. Not a bad question. So using Scripture to interpret Scripture, what better place to go then to see what is perhaps more clear to everyone and that is the covenant sign of circumcision that was applied to the Jews under the Abrahamic Covenant? Given the following similarities of both physical and spiritual circumcision and physical and spiritual baptism (below), it seems quite relevant in answering your own question of the practical benefits of baptism (not just infant baptism, but the plain sign of the covenant promise of baptism) that one quote Romans 3:1-2. Now, of course, that includes a context of Romans 2 and what follows 3:1-2. But it's quite clear that there is some benefit to covenant signs. And given that the Abraham covenant sign of circumcision was applied to males both adult and infants, then it too applies here to your question concerning the practicality of applying water baptism to adults and infants.

Circumcision and Baptism (see this link for Scripture references)
1. Sign and Seal of the Covenant of Grace
2. Union with Christ
3. Symbolizes Regeneration
4. Remission of sins
5. Obliges recipient to walk in newness of life
6. Initiates membership in the covenant community
7. Given to entire households
8. Mere outward reception of the sign is of no benefit
9. A great sin to contemn or neglect
10. Can be saved without it
11. Permanent/to be administered only once
12. Given to offspring
13. Given to non-elect in the covenant community

Further, Paul doesn't condemn circumcision's practicality. He's condemning the use of circumcision as some sort of special standing for the Jews who rejected Jesus Christ and didn't believe. To them, circumcision is a judgment. And just the same for those who believe in the command of infant baptism, those who are baptized but reject Christ and do not believe they are condemned and judged for it. The same as those adults and teenagers who are baptized upon their fake profession of faith...they are condemned and judged all the more.
I asked about the practical benefits of baptism - not circumcision. You of course want to presuppose circumcision is a replacement for baptism.

I asked about the practical benefits of baptism - not circumcision. You of course want to presuppose circumcision is a replacement for baptism.
That is incorrect.

At the same time there seems to be a close association of the meaning behind circumcision and baptism in Colossians.

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

That is incorrect.

At the same time there seems to be a close association of the meaning behind circumcision and baptism in Colossians.

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Well I asked about baptism and he responds with benefits o
1. The WCF just says what it says. Either you agree with it, or you don't; but it's no shock to find Presbyterians agreeing with its expressions. Under most situations, yours being an exceptional arrangement, a bald statement about whether neglecting a command is a "great sin" or not would hardly be controversial. And in your case, it is seldom brought out to wave in your face at church, I'm almost certain. That tells me they'd rather you were there, and conforming to conscience; than going elsewhere with less access to the means of grace.

2. Practical benefits. Certainly the Presbyterian admits a practical value; in some venues, what we claim as a practical value would strike some Baptists as "too close to Romanism" for their taste. Our view is hostile to Rome's, but we do regard baptism as a means of grace; and so too do we regard the ancient prescription given to Abraham, and continued in the nation of Israel, regarding the application of the covenant sign of the former ages.

We also take vows, in conjunction with baptism. Sometimes those vows are taken by an adult convert. And with children, we expect a believing parent (and member) to take vows. Moreover, later on when communing at the Table is appropriate for a child baptized in infancy, we obtain public vows by them for themselves.

You point out that in your view, baptism is primarily a public "vow that facilitates conviction for the person making their profession of faith." This would be a difference between what is primary for you, and what is primary for our view.

We regard baptism as primarily a public declaration by God, through the church (so, an institutional act, moreso than an individual act), whereby certain declarations (promises) are made unto faith--whenever, wherever that faith shows itself, not once but many perhaps thousands of times in a man's life. It is a gospel promise: that God will cleanse his believer from all sin, even you [enter name here] as by faith you take hold of his promise. In testimony of this promise, God's mark or branding of ownership is applied; externally the instrument is pure water.

Now, since the Body of Christ is single, every baptism one attends is affirmation of the concept, "one Lord, one faith, one baptism." We are duty bound (WCL.167) to improve each person his own baptism "when we are present at the administration of it to others." We may not recall the time of administration of that baptism to ourselves; however none of us remembers his literal birthday either; but many times rejoices over the fact of it.

Just so, not everyone (even adults) has a clear memory of his reception of baptism. But vastly more important than the memory is the substance of the divine promise being claimed in the present moment. Anyone who rests solely in the fact he was baptized, and does not unite that act with the faith of which it was intended to be a witness, is deluded.

There is no necessary "tension or forced dichotomy" between those baptized young or old, because the validation of baptism to the Presbyterian is not grounded in either the personal affirmation or the (un)reliability of human memory. Baptism's validity is grounded in the divine promise of the gospel, and the memorial of it is typically accessed through the testimony of external witnesses, especially the official record of the church together with those who participated/observed.

I may remember passing my driver's test, and even getting my DL. But those memories do not "count" when I get stopped and am asked to produce evidence that I am driving with permission. My private, individual word may be true (and for some, the assertion is a lie), but is not on account of that self-serving testimony of value in a traffic stop; or elsewhere where proof of my identity is made by producing the item. A DL is a prima facie, third-party evidence that I am who I say, and I'm entitled to drive the public roads.​

I'm not aiming to reduce or eliminate the value you have placed on the personal witness often associated immediately with baptism; nor downplay the worth of the memory. But memory fades, and sometimes is lost. And yet, nothing baptism affirms is really lost in the mists of the mind.
Did you forget taking your wedding vows?

Well I asked about baptism and he responds with benefits o
The benefits are the same as the tree remains the same.

Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Rom 11:18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
Rom 11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Rom 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
Rom 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

I believe the benefits of the covenant signs are the same in all administrations. They identify us to a people and give us the benefits of dwelling with and being under the protections of that membership.

My ex-wife evidently did 20 years ago. ;)
I’m sorry, I meant to reply to the other guy who mentioned the loss of memory as somehow a discrediting to the value of oath taking. The point I was making is I view wedding vows similarly to Baptism vows. We are in part professing our acceptance and loyalty to God. This, at least for me, served me with a helpful source of lasting conviction (for both my marriage and with God). I hope my children will some day experience similar convictions, as helped by this sacrament/ordinance.

That I did why? Even as a baptist someone can see the parallel of what I provided before and the connections that were made by the link I shared. You don't have to agree with it being a replacement, you should still be able to see the similarities between the two as covenant signs. All covenant signs have practical benefits, passover, circumcision, Lord's supper, baptism. They all have practical benefits for all recipients. That's all I'm saying. And if Passover and the Lord's supper are so similar, and Circumcision and Baptism are so similar according to God's word then there are helpful things to learn about them. Even as Randy quoted Colossians 2 - they communicate the same things in the application of them. The practical benefits are communicated by Scripture.

Besides this, have you spoken to your OPC pastor? He's the best one who is going to help you with this question. It's much easier to engage a person in direct communication sitting together, and besides this you will be doing this in that congregation. I encourage you to go sit with him and discuss these things.

That I did why? Even as a baptist someone can see the parallel of what I provided before and the connections that were made by the link I shared. You don't have to agree with it being a replacement, you should still be able to see the similarities between the two as covenant signs. All covenant signs have practical benefits, passover, circumcision, Lord's supper, baptism. They all have practical benefits for all recipients. That's all I'm saying. And if Passover and the Lord's supper are so similar, and Circumcision and Baptism are so similar according to God's word then there are helpful things to learn about them. Even as Randy quoted Colossians 2 - they communicate the same things in the application of them. The practical benefits are communicated by Scripture.

Besides this, have you spoken to your OPC pastor? He's the best one who is going to help you with this question. It's much easier to engage a person in direct communication sitting together, and besides this you will be doing this in that congregation. I encourage you to go sit with him and discuss these things.
I’m trying to avoid getting into covenantal arguments because I don’t feel mature enough in my understanding yet to properly speak to it (I have several books to tackle from both sides).

Simply stated, I see tremendous practical value (beyond just signs which are also valuable) in the oath taking element - i.e. Romans 10:9 - of Baptism. And I just can’t understand why we would want to remove that from this ordinance.

We have an incoming pastor who I intend to speak with on this and membership. The main reason why I joined this board actually was to get my head around this and prepare for that conversation. Unfortunately I have to say, so far the comments from the paedobaptism side on here have been highly discouraging... and I am beginning to reconsider attending the OPC church.

Did you forget taking your wedding vows?
You'll have to clarify what you may be getting at. I wrote a longish post addressing your questions, and I tried to do so in a respectful manner.

A one-liner rejoinder that a) quotes the whole thing and b) asks what seems like an unrelated question (vows analogy?) doesn't seem to me to have done any serious interaction with my attempt.

I'm pretty sure you are treated respectfully at the OPC church you attend. Here, you asked the questions, maybe ones you've avoided there. Different people, with different personalities and styles have offered responses. How you choose to respond to one or all is up to you.
I’m sorry, I meant to reply to the other guy who mentioned the loss of memory as somehow a discrediting to the value of oath taking. The point I was making is I view wedding vows similarly to Baptism vows. We are in part professing our acceptance and loyalty to God. This, at least for me, served me with a helpful source of lasting conviction (for both my marriage and with God). I hope my children will some day experience similar convictions, as helped by this sacrament/ordinance.
I guess this is related?

I really don't think you followed my answer, where I went through your post and offered some perspective. TL/DR, I guess...

I’m trying to avoid getting into covenantal arguments
You will find yourself lacking then because the signs are based upon Covenantal understanding. That is true for the Baptist and the Reformed Christian. The issue that turned me was coming to grips with the whole of scripture and the Covenants.

"As a Reformed Baptist, whenever I would debate issues concerning church membership and baptism I viewed the Mosaic Covenant and the New Covenant to be different substantially. Since the New Covenant was purely an Administration of the Covenant of Grace it had a different membership make up than the Mosaic Covenant. The New Covenant membership was made up of those who were truly regenerate or Elect."....

https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.c...nced-republication-and-mosaic-covenant-study/

You'll have to clarify what you may be getting at. I wrote a longish post addressing your questions, and I tried to do so in a respectful manner.

A one-liner rejoinder that a) quotes the whole thing and b) asks what seems like an unrelated question (vows analogy?) doesn't seem to me to have done any serious interaction with my attempt.

I'm pretty sure you are treated respectfully at the OPC church you attend. Here, you asked the questions, maybe ones you've avoided there. Different people, with different personalities and styles have offered responses. How you choose to respond to one or all is up to you.

I guess this is related?

I really don't think you followed my answer, where I went through your post and offered some perspective. TL/DR, I guess...

I guess this is related?

It's a simple question. Sometimes I think in your quest to uphold an old Roman Catholic tradition, you guys get so bogged down in a game of mental gymnastics, you lose the forest for the trees. Our Lord provided us a valuable ordinance to act upon when we repent and believe. Acts 2:38. Why must I be accused by my Presbyterian "brethren" of great sin by desiring my children to experience this?

How many times must I have to explain to people I'm witnessing to that their infant baptism didn't save them? Does your side not realize how misleading this is to people? I become more and more convinced the practice of infant baptism is propelled by our great accuser who relishes in the confusion it causes and avoidance of sound conviction for most people who are raised to rest on their infant baptism laurels.

It's a simple question. Sometimes I think in your quest to uphold an old Roman Catholic tradition, you guys get so bogged down in a game of mental gymnastics, you lose the forest for the trees.

hey hey now brother. Is this necessary? You said you are still studying this issue, but then you use ad hominem? Are we really upholding an old papist tradition? You are accusing us and all presbyterians and other reformed people of doing mental gymnastics, but you said above you don't feel mature enough to discuss. Why not step back and try to understand our view fully before you respond with attacks? Though even the attacks I'm sure won't go very far on this board.

Ask a question of a different perspective and you will get a different perspective. Were you thinking you'd get a response that was Baptist in nature?

Now you want the answer to your question then honestly and humbly try to understand the answers you get, and if they don't make sense, ask follow up questions to try to make sense of what is being said.

How many times must I have to explain to people I'm witnessing to that their infant baptism didn't save them?
No one here believes that, and anyone who has been baptized and believes that whether in baptist or reformed churches has misunderstood the meaning (and yes even some baptists believe this).

Last edited:
hey hey now brother. Is this necessary? You said you are still studying this issue, but then you use ad hominem? Are we really upholding an old papist tradition? You are accusing us and all presbyterians and other reformed people of doing mental gymnastics, but you said above you don't feel mature enough to discuss. Why not step back and try to understand our view fully before you respond with attacks? Though even the attacks I'm sure won't go very far on this board.

Ask a question of a different perspective and you will get a different perspective. Were you thinking you'd get a response that was Baptist in nature?

Now you want the answer to your question then honestly and humbly try to understand the answers you get, and if they don't make sense, ask follow up questions to try to make sense of what is being said.

No one here believes that, and anyone who has been baptized and believes that whether in baptist or reformed churches has misunderstood the meaning (and yes even some baptists believe this).
I've been on this board for a little over a week and have seen at least a dozen attacks on Reformed Baptists for being in "great sin" over their disagreement with infant baptism. I came on here to understand your side, open-minded to your position, yet whenever I ask questions, people get snippy with me.

I'm sorry I ever joined this blog. Sadly the deeper I go into reformed theology, the more division I experience. It's sad and I hope you all reflect on that. I'm done here.

How many times must I have to explain to people I'm witnessing to that their infant baptism didn't save them?

I've been on this board for a little over a week and have seen at least a dozen attacks on Reformed Baptists for being in "great sin" over their disagreement with infant baptism. I came on here to understand your side, open-minded to your position, yet whenever I ask questions, people get snippy with me.

Well brother, that probably is because a baptist brother asked a question on this very topic... https://puritanboard.com/threads/do-you-believe-it-sin-to-neglect-baptism-of-infants.101107/ And here's another one started by what appears is a baptist brother looking for a critique: https://puritanboard.com/threads/cr...heology-and-biblical-theology-renihan.100676/

Here's another one: https://puritanboard.com/threads/communing-non-members.101068/ and another from a baptist brother: https://puritanboard.com/threads/help-me-understand-paedobaptism-as-a-credobaptist.101076/

We don't have baptism debates all the time, but when they come up they come up in clumps usually because other threads are started off a beginning thread. But again this is a confessional board, and that's what the WCF says. If you would've come 2 weeks ago, there were probably no baptism debates whatsoever going on. They come up in clumps. Now no other baptists are getting any more upset than normal on what the WCF says because we all know here that there are people who hold to the WCF and also the LBC. We disagree on the issue. We might even make fun of each other here and there but we move on.

No one on this thread has gotten snippy with you. You may be reading that into what we are saying, but we are merely attempting to answer your question.

Last edited:
It's a simple question. Sometimes I think in your quest to uphold an old Roman Catholic tradition,
Why must I be accused by my Presbyterian "brethren" of great sin by desiring my children to experience this?
How many times must I have to explain to people I'm witnessing to that their infant baptism didn't save them? Does your side not realize how misleading this is to people?
Nathan,
I can appreciate the zeal you have to understand the significance of God's ordinances. I do not know you as you do not know me. All we are trying to do here is to help you understand our position. I hope you discover that you do not fully understand your Reformed brothers concerning this topic. It is something I had to learn about also. I didn't grow up in the Church and my only experience of Church growing up was Roman Catholic (my next door neighbors were Roman Catholic) and Campbellite Independent Christian Churches (Church of Christ types). Both of these groups believed that baptism saves (justifies) them even though one will baptize babies and the other won't.

Reformed Baptist and Reformed Theologians do not believe that baptism makes anyone justified before God. I imagine that many will need to be told that as we share our faith with others. I have been around Presbyterians for the Past many years and I know a lot of people who grew up in Reformed Churches. I don't know a single kid who grew up in these Churches who believed that they were justified before God because they were Baptized. I do know that they hold their Covenant sign to be very important to them because their parents had them baptized and they were discipled and lead to a faith that did justify them before God. They were considered members of the Covenant Community by baptism and that Community became responsible for their nuture and admonition to love the Lord and seek his face. They count their infant baptism to be a very real witness of what Christ did for them and how he took them and placed them into his body here on earth. That is what circumcision did back in the Old testament as it signified membership in Israel and Baptism does the same for us in the New Covenant. If a person was refused circumcision in the Old Covenant they were not allowed to be Covenant members in National Israel. The same is true for the Church today. If you are not baptized you can not share in the blessings of being a member of the physical Church on earth. Now you may be justified and confess Christ as your saviour and not be baptized. But that would be sinful because Christ told the Church to go and baptize and make disciples. To neglect that is sinful.

Gotta go right now. Someone just stopped by

It's a simple question. Sometimes I think in your quest to uphold an old Roman Catholic tradition, you guys get so bogged down in a game of mental gymnastics, you lose the forest for the trees. Our Lord provided us a valuable ordinance to act upon when we repent and believe. Acts 2:38. Why must I be accused by my Presbyterian "brethren" of great sin by desiring my children to experience this?

How many times must I have to explain to people I'm witnessing to that their infant baptism didn't save them? Does your side not realize how misleading this is to people? I become more and more convinced the practice of infant baptism is propelled by our great accuser who relishes in the confusion it causes and avoidance of sound conviction for most people who are raised to rest on their infant baptism laurels.
That's truly an amazing response. And this will probably be my last interaction. It was not a "simple question," as a follow up to my reply--and I did answer you specifically. It was a non sequitor, at least so far as it made any sense to me.

In the first place, I went into detail that Presbyterians also take vows in connection with baptism. YOU never mentioned in your OP a connection you have made mentally with marriage vows. Your only mention of that was in a much later post. You are entitled to make a connection between one set of vows you have taken and another set. I may make a similar connection between the vows I took when I became a communicant, and my wedding vows. But simply analogizing from one set to another is not probative of the validity of said connection.

I explained why Presbyterians find grounding the validity of baptism in human words and memories less sure (not worthless) than grounding the validity in gospel promises. Brother, if you are in a wreck, and forget you took your vows, and that you are married--stories about such incidents are rare, but they happen--you are still married, even if you don't remember doing it. The other witnesses were there, the marriage certificate attests to it, the pictures. Your precious memory doesn't validate the marriage. Some people have even deluded themselves into "memories" of a marriage that never took place!

Your belief that our views are simply papist leftovers is false, but that's what you were catechized to think. Obviously, you believe we are operating in "great sin" too. I don't know why you would object to the fact that we've confessed this position for 400yrs, when you turn around and tar us with Rome's brush.

This is the same Rome that killed our fellows by the tens of thousands in France and the Netherlands especially, and in other countries. Your unkindness is noted.

You believe baptism is primarily what YOU do, as you say again, "to act upon when we repent and believe." Baptism fundamentally obedience; whereas our opinion is that baptism is fundamentally reception. Baptism either fundamentally LAW or fundamentally GOSPEL. Take your pick.

How many times do people need to be told that their Baptist Church Baptism doesn't save them? Oh, that's a corruption of Baptist teaching? Well, so's the view that IB has already saved them. See, it works both ways.

Just because someone added a "profession of faith" on the day of their baptism didn't make that claim to true faith and election any more certain. Does the correlation of huge Baptist numbers, and the pernicious effects of "decision-conversion" typical in that stream, mean that the Devil loves to have so many hell-bound Baptists resting on their baptisms-and-vows?

Think about it.

Well brother, that probably is because a baptist brother asked a question on this very topic... https://puritanboard.com/threads/do-you-believe-it-sin-to-neglect-baptism-of-infants.101107/ And here's another one started by what appears is a baptist brother looking for a critique: https://puritanboard.com/threads/cr...heology-and-biblical-theology-renihan.100676/

Here's another one: https://puritanboard.com/threads/communing-non-members.101068/ and another from a baptist brother: https://puritanboard.com/threads/help-me-understand-paedobaptism-as-a-credobaptist.101076/

We don't have baptism debates all the time, but when they come up they come up in clumps usually because other threads are started off a beginning thread. But again this is a confessional board, and that's what the WCF says. If you would've come 2 weeks ago, there were probably no baptism debates whatsoever going on. They come up in clumps. Now no other baptists are getting any more upset than normal on what the WCF says because we all know here that there are people who hold to the WCF and also the LBC. We disagree on the issue. We might even make fun of each other here and there but we move on.

No one on this thread has gotten snippy with you. You may be reading that into what we are saying, but we are merely attempting to answer your question.
You guys are probably right and I likely overreacted. It also doesn’t help that I’ve been trying to engage in this over my cellphone while at work...

I think I probably need to take a break from this in any case. Needless to say, it’s been quite difficult and isolating for me as a reformed baptist.

Nathan, we who have baptized our kids are not trying to be Catholics, nor do we all believe you are committing a great sin. I, for one, believe you are displaying godliness by seeking to better understand baptism and examining whether or not it is right to have your children baptized. The issue is complex, and it would be impractical for any of us to expect you to change your mind quickly. In fact, it would probably be foolish of us to urge you to change your mind quickly. The topic deserves in-depth study, and when you make the switch we want your mind to be convinced and your conscience to be clear.

I am a paedobaptist by conviction, currently in a Baptist church. So I know something of the many-sided issues involved, especially the difficulty of honoring God and conscience while at the same time submitting to one's elders who see things differently. And I am highly appreciative of how the elders in my church recognize that difficulty as well, and how they are concerned for my overall spiritual well-being and my conscience even as they enforce their beliefs. It sounds like you are in an OPC church where elders are patient and have that concern for you as well, and that is something to be thankful for. I trust that in return you are remaining teachable. It sounds like you are.

I will give you one answer (out of many good answers) to your question about the benefits of a child having been baptized. It is this: Baptism gives a child a great reason—the best reason!—to continue growing in the faith.

I teach a lot of Bible lessons, mostly to Baptist kids. I find they don't have a great answer to the question, "Why do you read the Bible and pray and try to practice faith and obedience to God?" In other words, "Why do you act like a disciple?" Baptist kids usually have self-based answers. If they think they are converted, they might say, "Because I've decided to be a Christian." Or else, they might say, "Because it's good for me" or "Because I want to believe someday." And if I'm thinking like most Baptists I know, I can't really come up with an answer for them that's much better.

But if I'm in front of a group of baptized, Presbyterian kids, I have a great and God-based answer to why they should act like a disciple: "Because God has declared that you are part of his family and a disciple of Jesus." Notice that I didn't pronounce them saved. But I did pronounce them to be disciples by the declaration of God. This is a big part of what happens in baptism, and it makes a difference in how a young disciple goes about the task of discipleship. God's official claim on his life, pronounced through the church, means the duty is greater. The responsibility is greater. Also the help is greater. The confidence is greater. The joy is greater. The honor is greater.

It means discipleship is not a self-improvement program for that child, but a calling from God, who has placed his mark of belonging on that child.

Now, in fairness to the best Baptists—those who are Reformed-minded, or those who know the importance of being "gospel-driven"—some Baptists manage to come up with similar-sounding answers. But I think even the best Baptist answers are not as rich as the Presbyterian answer. I had my kids baptized not only because I believed it was correct according to Scripture, but because I wanted them to have that certainty that God's mark and his calling was upon them. How can one be a disciple without it?

The OPC church my Baptist family attended "mistreated" us with a cake when we left. :'( Never felt more at home in a church. Though they couldn't convince us of covenant baptism. That would take the Reformed Baptists and the Lutherans. (It's complicated.)

Not even remotely close, no.
Augustine would disagree with you. I would think he would be in a position to comment on what the ancient church believed. But that is only a secondary support for the practice, anyway.

"What the universal Church holds, not as instituted by councils but as something always held, is most correctly believed to have been handed down by apostolic authority. Since others respond for children, so that the celebration of the sacrament may be complete for them, it is certainly availing to them for their consecration, because they themselves are not able to respond."

https://heidelblog.net/2018/07/augu...ostolic-and-universal-practice-of-the-church/

As for the practicality of it. The baptism of a person does not have to benefit that person RIGHT THEN for it to be beneficial in the long run. The same goes for any sacrament. Sometimes we don't see the immediate fruit of obedience to God. One major way that baptism is practical is that it aids in the assurance of the free offer of the gospel. A baptized person can ask the question: is God willing to save sinners? They can answer: yes, yes he is 1) because the Bible testifies to it and 2) God has confirmed his testimony through the visible sign of baptism. Baptism teaches us that God is in the business of saving sinners, period. That should be great comfort to ANYONE who watches the sacrament, Baptist or reformed.

@Wretched Man, I've been a member of this board for nearly 8 years, and I've never seen a Baptist complain that the folks here are unfriendly to their denomination--we have Baptist moderators for crying out loud. An assertion of the paedobaptist position is not a personal attack on Baptists.

If anything, your statement about paedobaptists seeking to maintain a Roman Catholic tradition is a personal attack on paedobaptists, insofar that it implies that our claim to hold our position theological and not historical grounds is false. Do you think we're being disingenuous when we say that we understand the Scriptural system of doctrine to include the baptism of infants?

@Wretched Man, I've been a member of this board for nearly 8 years, and I've never seen a Baptist complain that the folks here are unfriendly to their denomination--we have Baptist moderators for crying out loud. An assertion of the paedobaptist position is not a personal attack on Baptists.

If anything, your statement about paedobaptists seeking to maintain a Roman Catholic tradition is a personal attack on paedobaptists, insofar that it implies that our claim to hold our position theological and not historical grounds is false. Do you think we're being disingenuous when we say that we understand the Scriptural system of doctrine to include the baptism of infants?
Multiple people on other threads have repeatedly stated those with Baptist views on infant baptism are in great sin. Call it what you want, but accusing me of being in great sin feels rather personal. Perhaps that carried over to this thread as they were on "Paedobaptist-response-only" threads and I was rebuked when I merely posed questions (which I later deleted).

I joined this board to discuss views and gain theological understanding. I have spent many hours (and will continue) studying covenant theology and the various arguments Paedobaptists use to support their views. I actually was a paedobaptist being raised Catholic and attending PCA churches for many years, but after exhaustive studying through Scriptures, praying, and questioning myself, I simply don't buy it.

I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers on this board. I will continue my theological pursuit elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back