Pray that fears of flying don't get worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
The last few years I've developed a fear of flying. I never had this before and I've flown a ton, but it's a struggle for me now every time I get on a plane. A thorn the Lord has given me. It had been getting a bit better the last few months. We just flew to India (from a nearby country) about 2 weeks ago and I did pretty good. Well, a few days ago I found out that the plane that crashed in Nepal was the same airline I had flown to India on. Today I found out that it was actually the exact same plane. I'm afraid this isn't going to be good for me. Please pray God would help me trust in Him when I need to fly. Thanks...

I'm praying for you.

What is it that you're afraid of, exactly? Crashing? Hijackers? Or flying itself?

Perhaps a Christian counselor could give practical tips on coping with this anxiety. Is bus or train an option until you are more settled with flying?

I promise to pray for you, too.

Last edited:
When I was an ironworker in structural steel erection they used to say 'it's not the fall that gets you, it's the sudden stop.' I'm not afraid of flying, I'm afraid of crashing. In the early '90s I was working on Miami Beach and my boss was flying up to Long Island, NY the day after the airliner went down up there losing the nose of the plane in flight. All on board were killed. Rumors that a missile brought it down abounded. One way of another he flew the following day. More courage than I would have had.

You should have a healthy apprehension about Third World Travel. But international air carriers have a very low statistical rate of accidents. We hear complaints about United Airlines, etc, for customer service, but because they might be rude, not because planes are falling out of the sky on a day, nor a monthly, nor even a yearly basis. Major carriers have like 1 accident a decade...that is pretty amazing. I think I read somewhere that 16 million people fly per day....and if a little plane of 15 passengers goes down we hear about it all over the news. That is a consolation, actually, because it shows the rarity of accidents. I say all this because I also feel stressed on airplanes. Even if a 14 hour flight, I cannot sleep at all due to tension. Yet, I slept on a wooden canoe going over rapids the other day while going on the river to another village during flood stage. Part of the fear is irrational and I think due to being uttterly hopeless in a steel tube flying 40,000 feet above the earth for hours on end.

Okay, I fly 100,000+ miles a year and never gave it a second thought. Now, I am starting to get concerned about my next flight! :eek:

Seriously, though, as Trevor notes, the rate of air incidents to flights worldwide is amazingly low. These stats are a few year old, but in 2008, the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident were 1 in 98 for a lifetime. For air and space transport (including air taxis and private flights), the odds were 1 in 7,178 for a lifetime.

Add to that the wisdom of George Whitefield (also attributed to Henry Martyn): We are immortal until our work on earth is done.

Praying that the Lord will give you His peace when you travel.

You should have a healthy apprehension about Third World Travel. But international air carriers have a very low statistical rate of accidents.

Particularly Malaysia Airlines.

I had my worst scare on a Lot flight back when it was a communist state airline. The stewardesses panicking and yelling in Polish didn't help. Second was an American Airlines missed approach into Reagan National. I knew that the pilot was too high and the runway was too short, but I wasn't sure the pilot did. We landed about 15 minutes later after a low and slow tour of the Virginia countryside.

Probably the biggest risk of modern airline travel, however, is Deep Vein Thrombosis.

The Lord grace you brother. I don’t like flying any more either, mostly because the pilots always seem to hit potholes in midair. But the Lord has His hand on you and your work, so you may trust Him to bring you safely. :)

Okay, I fly 100,000+ miles a year and never gave it a second thought. Now, I am starting to get concerned about my next flight! :eek:

Seriously, though, as Trevor notes, the rate of air incidents to flights worldwide is amazingly low. These stats are a few year old, but in 2008, the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident were 1 in 98 for a lifetime. For air and space transport (including air taxis and private flights), the odds were 1 in 7,178 for a lifetime.

Add to that the wisdom of George Whitefield (also attributed to Henry Martyn): We are immortal until our work on earth is done.

Praying that the Lord will give you His peace when you travel.

That’s from a man who crossed the Atlantic 13 times by boat and had his own share of sea storms.

You should have a healthy apprehension about Third World Travel. But international air carriers have a very low statistical rate of accidents. We hear complaints about United Airlines, etc, for customer service, but because they might be rude, not because planes are falling out of the sky on a day, nor a monthly, nor even a yearly basis. Major carriers have like 1 accident a decade...that is pretty amazing. I think I read somewhere that 16 million people fly per day....and if a little plane of 15 passengers goes down we hear about it all over the news. That is a consolation, actually, because it shows the rarity of accidents. I say all this because I also feel stressed on airplanes. Even if a 14 hour flight, I cannot sleep at all due to tension. Yet, I slept on a wooden canoe going over rapids the other day while going on the river to another village during flood stage. Part of the fear is irrational and I think due to being uttterly hopeless in a steel tube flying 40,000 feet above the earth for hours on end.
If it's any comfort, the tube is commonly aluminum, not steel. Less risk of rust! Though one wonders, with the new carbon fiber fuselages Boeing is building, what lightning strikes will do.
However, all of that pales for me before the horror of being scrutinized by the TSA, waiting forever in the concourse, on the plane, at the baggage claim. Even a two-hour flight seems to eat up the whole day.

Perhaps a Christian counselor could give practical tips on coping with this anxiety. Is bus or train an option until you are more settled with flying?

I promise to pray for you, too.

Thanks Anne. I would prefer train but the travel I have to do is international; so a plane is the only option really (unless I take several days to travel which isn't practical).

The Lord grace you brother. I don’t like flying any more either, mostly because the pilots always seem to hit potholes in midair. But the Lord has His hand on you and your work, so you may trust Him to bring you safely. :)

Thanks Jake; good stuff.

Late to the thread here, but I also get anxious with flights, though it is mostly the feelings of discomfort that get me (I hate the feeling like I'm on a carnival ride). I always try to get a window seat on or near the center/wing of the plane, because I find that when it takes off/lands or moves during changes in elevation in the air that you feel the effect less than in the nose or tail ends. It's a bit more level, and for me that helps. Along with lots of relaxing music, a comfy cardigan, closing my eyes taking off/landing, and fervent prayer... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back