Prayer and the Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Since the Lord's Supper is a public sacrament, not a private right, this seems interesting to me:

The Westminster Assembly agreed "...that all private worship in the time and place of public worship is to be discharged."

The Scriptures teach us that there is a difference between the corporate assembly and worship, and private devotions.

The Puritans consistently objected to private prayers by the people on assembling for worship, and private praying for the recipients of the Lord's Supper before and after participation.

Should people pray privately, or is this a violation of PUBLIC worship?

Or, should we be following the service and minister, or can we pray, say, while the offering is passed around?

Thoughts?

I like your questions lately, Matt. It looks like you've taken over Scott's big question book that he used to pull out at the beginning.

MY answer to your question is that I do not see how private prayers are in any way counter to public prayers, but rather should be seen as a pious participaton in the public worship. For two to pray simultaneously is not a confusing of worship, as long as they pray silently. Any confusion would be on our part, not God's, for He can hear many many prayers at the same time. Time is not a factor to God's hearing us. And certainly a personal praayer to God at any time could not be wrong.

But if we combine this topic with the idea I got out of the "Worst Hymns" thread, and realize that many songs we sing in church are prayers as well, then it is not hard to see how some things in worship run counter to each other at times. I am becoming increasingly aware of a deep need to reform the churches. In two separate churches I have come across practices that ought not to be entertained at all, and yet they go on unchecked, and even protected by the 'status quo'. Though many talk about reformation or revival, few there are who are actually willing to see that it begins with them, not others.

Undefiled worship consists of a heart that seeks after God with a single focus. It is not an impeccably run service, for we could not accomplish that. Yet we are called to undefiled worship.

I see that the possibility of personal prayers in public worship could be the greatest detriment to that. The call to worship and pray to God is most sacred at the time of corporate worship. That is no time for everyone to be going his own way.

So I think that personal prayers in worship are good, but that one must practice subjection particularly at the time of public worship. We should not rule out the silent "Amen" to prayers raised to God by the minister, but we should not also foster individuality at the expense of church unity in worship.
:wr50:

It has always been practice in the churches I have attended or visited to leave a short period of silence after the receiving of the bread and then the wine. This silence is used for private prayer and mediation. What else could it be used for? (Rhetorical question)

I would like to add the thought that private prayer and meditation are very much a part of PUBLIC worship In my humble opinion. If we are granted time to prepare our hearts before public worship, and we have time between aspects of the public worship, it is surely incumbent upon us to use that time wisely, in reading the word, in examining our hearts and in prayer.

Our worship both corporate and private is directed to God (I know this is teaching y'all to suck eggs) and He is surely most glorified when His people meet with prepared hearts, drawn close to Him and using all the time they are together with His people to worship Him.

Of course, I would say that people who do not follow what the preacher is saying or doing are violating public worship - e.g. reading the hymnbook when the minister is reading the Word, and so forth.

I wonder if what I just said made any sense at all?

:blah1:

I do not think you can make a hard and fast rule that private prayer in the context of public worship is necessarily sinful. You will find in many churches that there is so much time of "individuality" during the corpatorate worship, that you kind of wonder what's going on there. Public or Private worship? Particularly in Charismatic churches, you will find congregants suddenly shouting "hallelujiah" or "praise Jesus" at any ol' time that suits them. Then they can stand up and start swaying and bowing and doing whatever they feel "called to do". This individualism opens wide the door to big problems in the church.

I believe that designated times of private prayer in a worship service ***could*** be introducing individualism into corporate worship that does not need to be there. Most Christian churches pass the bread & wine to their congregants, and everyone eats & drinks together. Obviously this creates some "lag" time. Many churches have background music while the partakers meditate or pray. Others have times of congregational-singing during the passing of the elements. That seems to make much more sense. :thumbup:

[quote:505cd40e8b]Many churches have background music while the partakers meditate or pray. [/quote:505cd40e8b]

Please tell me the divines anathematized this! There is nothing more irksome to me than hearing the soft playing of an organ during a pastoral or someone's prayer!
:banghead:

Ok...Ok...so there are other things that are irksome.

Question

Following this line of thinking...What are the sheep to do as the pastor is praying the pastoral prayer? Listen along? Say amen to themselve? I've always wondered this and have done different things. The only thing I'm certain of is that I shouldn't sleep!

Thanks!
Chris

The Pastoral Prayer is supposed to be a prayer from the congregation as one unit to the Lord. The congregants obviously ought to be listening and joining their hearts in the prayer up to the Lord. I hear that in the South, most prayers are ended with a hearty "amen" from the congregation. Up here in the North, it's pretty rare in Reformed churches. I think that is horrible! I wish God's people would give a hearty "AMEN" after every hymn & prayer. :pray2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back