Prayer and what's within reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
So, how does prayer work? I have been seeing an awful lot of people, while probably not trying to, seemingly diminish prayer by suggesting "just do this" or that, etc. The implication being, don't pray because, you can do it; these being Christians.
For instance, do what is in your reach? The question is, how do I know? Since prayer isn't magic, how then will it work? I've ask some older men for wisdom, for instance in a situation, and yet I sort laughed off.

Have you read John Bunyan's book on Prayer, Trent? It is one of the most practical and encouraging books on Prayer I have read.

Bunyan defines prayer as "a sincere, sensible, affectionate pouring out of the heart or soul to God, through Christ, in the strength and assistance of the Holy Spirit, for such things as God hath promised, or according to the Word, for the good of the church, with submission, in faith, to the will of God.”

He then spends the treatise expounding this. The Banner of Truth edition has this and the second treatise on 'The throne of grace'. It is a very encouraging and comforting work.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I've been recording readings from Martin Luther's Large Catechism on prayer and have found his thoughts worth considering. In the first section, I think he does address your comment of people implying to "not pray". He says the following, which recently struck me (second commandment = third commandment with how Lutherans split up the commandments):

For thus we heard in the Second Commandment: Thou shalt not take the name of the lord, thy God, in vain, that we are there required to praise that holy name, and call upon it in every need, or to pray. For to call upon the name of God is nothing else than to pray. Prayer is therefore as strictly and earnestly commanded as all other commandments: to have no other God, not to kill, not to steal, etc..​

Having just finished my M'Cheyne morning reading I follow it with Donald S. Whitney's formula in 'Praying The Bible,' and I read the Psalm that corresponds with today's date. Then I read 4 more in increments of 30. So today it was Psalms 17, 47, 77, 107, and 137. This method prepares my heart and mind, then I pray. https://www.amazon.com/Praying-Bibl...3995&sprefix=Praying+The+Bible,aps,188&sr=8-2

For me this is where faith comes in. I say that because our heavenly Father has not agreed with much of my prayer of late. Two people in my congregation who I prayed for the past couple of years finally went to glory.

The barbarians are not only at the gate, but have sacked the temple and are taking over the government. Donald Trump is disgraced and even if he is not impeached it is doubtful he could ever be nominated/win the presidency again should he run for it.

D.A. Carson wrote (paraphrasing) that God is not like a genie in a bottle. We virtually rub the bottle by prayer and He comes forth and grants our wishes.
So along with Romans chapter 11: 33-36, I have the faith that His ways are past my finding out, and His perfect will is being done.

33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! 34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counselor? 35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? 36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

So, how does prayer work?

Putting the question that way, to me, is like asking two young lovers to explain how love works. Or maybe (for you Italians) like trying to explain how eggplant parmesan tastes. The only way to really know how romantic love works is by experiencing it. Granted, the Song of Solomon can be an aid to understanding love. Love for God is like that too. I will do some thinking on prayer and maybe write back.

I think part of confusion of prayer is because we do often treat it like a genie or Santa Claus in current culture; magic words that we might say that get or give us something in the end. However, prayer is a means of grace as is the preaching of the word and the Sacraments. These are the ordinary means through which Christ communes with us, grows us, and enables us to live in Christ. It is not just an act wherein we ask and receive, but rather a means through which "The Spirit applies to us the redemption purchased by Christ, by working faith in us, and thereby uniting us to Christ in our effectual calling." as the Heidelberg Catechism states. It is a means of grace, by faith, in which Christ works in us, even now, so that his will be done "on earth, as it is in heaven." I think a helpful way to understand prayer and "how it works" is to understand it in context as one of the means of grace through which God ministers to us. How does God use these ordinary means? In many ways it is mysterious, and the Westminster Confession would certainly echo this mystery. Yet we know these truths as revealed in his Word, confirmed by his spirit, and manifested in the work of faith in us.

There are many fruits and ends of prayer that I think also help us to have perspective on "how" it works.

Some reading resources (and how they touch on aspects of prayer):

Reminding and strengthening our Union in Christ as justified peoples:
P1 - https://heidelblog.net/2015/05/heidelberg-63-faith-union-with-Christ-and-the-means-of-grace-1/
P2 - https://heidelblog.net/2015/05/heidelberg-63-faith-union-with-Christ-and-the-means-of-grace-2/
It is the justified who are, are a consequence of that once-for-all justification who are being graciously, gradually sanctified. Those who believe are also those who are united to Christ. Another way to put this is to say that there are no unjustified people are being sanctified or in union with Christ.

Preparation for Christian service: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/means-of-grace/
Prayer is more than empty words; it establishes communion between us and the Creator, thereby empowering us for belief and faithful, effective service (James 5:16b–18)

A means of humbling ourselves before God: https://heidelblog.net/2015/08/heidelberg-116-why-is-prayer-so-important/
Another aspect, and closely related, is our struggle with sin. As believers we continue to wrestle with sin (as Paul says in Romans 7) and to the degree we have yet to be sanctified, to that degree we are reluctant to humble ourselves before God and to acknowledge him as Lord and ourselves as needy sinners. Prayer is the chief way of dying to ourselves and living to Christ.

A means through which God draws his people to salvation and strengthens the church: https://www.placefortruth.org/blog/extraordinary-means-grace
Here, then, are the normal means God uses to bring the spiritually dead to life, enabling them to turn in repentance and faith towards God as they rest on Christ alone for their salvation. ... The Westminster divines reiterate this point in chapter 14, ‘Of Saving Faith’. There they state, ‘The grace of faith, whereby the elect are enabled to believe to the saving of their souls, is the work of the Spirit of Christ in their hearts, and is ordinarily wrought by the ministry of the Word, by which also, and by the administration of the sacraments, and prayer, it is increased and strengthened’ (14.1)

As praise to God (see the Psalms for echoes also of this): https://heidelblog.net/2018/06/what-is-prayer/
Prayer consists in calling upon the true God, and arises from an acknowledgment and sense of our want, and from a desire of sharing in the divine bounty, in true conversion of heart and confidence in the promise of grace for the sake of Christ the mediator, asking at the hands of God such temporal and spiritual blessings as are necessary for us; or in giving thanks to God for the benefits received.

As a means through which God directs and expresses his providential care: https://www.ligonier.org/blog/ordinary-christian-life/
First and foremost, any renewed appreciation for the ordinary begins with God. Of course, God is hardly ordinary, but He delights in working in ordinary ways. Our triune God could do everything Himself, directly and immediately. After all, He said, “Let there be light”— and light appeared (Gen. 1:3). Yet, He also said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation.” And “the earth brought forth vegetation” (v. 12). God is no less the ultimate source of reality when He is working within creation to “bring forth” His purposes than He is in directly calling things into existence.

Growth in personal holiness: http://www.the-highway.com/growth_Alexander.html
Pray constantly and fervently for the influences of the Holy Spirit. No blessing is so particularly and emphatically promised in answer to prayer as this; and if you would receive this divine gift, to be in you as a well of water springing up to everlasting life, you must not only pray, but you must watch against everything in your heart or life which has a tendency to grieve the Spirit of God. Of what use is it to pray, if you indulge evil thoughts and imaginations almost without control? or if you give way to the evil passions of anger, pride and avarice, or bridle not your tongue from evil speaking? Learn to be conscientious; that is, obey the dictates of your conscience uniformly. Many are conscientious in some things and not in others; they listen to the monitor within when it directs to important duties; but in smaller matters they often disregard the voice of conscience, and follow present inclination. Such cannot grow in grace.​

I will do some thinking on prayer and maybe write back.

I couldn't think of anything better than Fisher's Catechism on Shorter Catechism Question 98 What is prayer.
Fisher's has 84 additional Q. & A. on Question 98. I tried to make a Spoiler, but it would not post. So I included a PDF for you to download.

Question 98. What is prayer?
Answer: Prayer is an offering up of our desires to God for things agreeable to his will, in the name of Christ with confession of our sins, and thankful acknowledgment of his mercies.

Attachments

• SCQ 98 What is Prayer.pdf
    195.4 KB · Views: 0
Fisher's has 84 additional Q. & A. on Question 98. I tried to make a Spoiler, but it would not post.

I decided to make a separate post with all 84 Questions.

QUESTION 98. What is prayer?
ANSWER: Prayer is an offering up of our desires to God for things agreeable to his will, in the name of Christ with confession of our sins, and thankful acknowledgment of his mercies.

Q. 1. “Are we to pray to God only?”
A. “God only being to be believed in, and worshipped with religious worship, prayer, which is a special part thereof, is to be made by all to him alone, and to none other.”

Q. 2. Why is prayer to be made by all to God alone, and to none other?
A. Because “God only is able to search the hearts, hear the requests, pardon the sins, and fulfil the desires of all.”

Q. 3. May we not direct our prayers to any of the persons of the adorable Trinity?
A. To be sure we may: for the Three-one God being the sole object of religious worship, whichever of the three persons we address, the other two are understood as included, 2 Cor. 13:14.

Q. 4. Why may we not pray to angels, or saints departed?
A. Because it would be gross idolatry, they being but mere creatures; nor can they supply the wants, nor remove the miseries which sin has brought upon us.

Q. 5. Do we pray to God to inform him of what he knew not before?
A. Not at all: for from eternity he knew all the thoughts that ever should pass through our minds in time, Psalm 139:2, 4.

Q. 6. Do we pray to him that we may alter his mind, or incline him to any thing which he was formerly unwilling to grant?
A. No; for with him is “no variableness, neither shadow of turning,” James 1:17; but we pray to him, that we may obtain what we know and believe he is willing to confer, 1 John 5:14 — “This is the confidence that we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he heareth us.”

Q. 7. What are the several parts of prayer mentioned in this answer?
A. They are these three; petition, confession, and thanksgiving.

Q. 8. In which of these does prayer properly consist?
A. In PETITION, or supplication.

Q. 9. How does the answer describe our petitions, or supplications?
A. It describes them to be an offering up of our desires to God.

Q. 10. Why are our petitions called our desires?
A. Because the words of our mouth, without the desires of our heart, are nothing but empty sounds in the ears of God, Isaiah 29:13 — “This people draw near to me with their mouth, — but have removed their heart far from me.”

Q. 11. Why must there be an offering up of our desires to God?
A. Because prayers are “spiritual sacrifices,” 1 Pet. 2:5; and all sacrifices were appointed to be offered to God only, 2 Kings 17:35, 36.

Q. 12. From whence flow the desires of the heart?
A. From a sense of need: we cannot have any earnest desire after that, with the want of which we are no way affected; for, “the full soul loatheth a honey comb,” Proverbs 27:7.

Q. 13. For what THINGS ought we to offer up our desires to God?
A. For things agreeable to his will.

Q. 14. What will of God are we to have our eye upon, when we ask any thing from him?
A. Not upon his secret, but his revealed will, Deut. 29:29.

Q. 15. How shall we know, if what we ask be agreeable to his revealed will?
A. If we ask what he has promised, we are sure it is agreeable to his revealed will to confer it, because the promise is to us, Acts 2:39.

Q. 16. Are we straitened, or narrowed, in our requests, when we are confined to the promise as the subject-matter of them?
A. By no means; for the promise contains infinitely more than we are able to “ask or think,” Eph. 3:20.

Q. 17. May we ask temporal mercies at the hand of God?
A. Yes; because they are promised, so far as we have any real need of them, Psalm 34:10; Isaiah 33:16.

Q. 18. Whether ought temporal or spiritual mercies to have the preference in our requests?
A. Spiritual mercies ought to have the preference, Matt. 6:33 — “SEEK ye FIRST the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.”

Q. 19. What is meant by the kingdom of God, and his righteousness?
A. The work of grace in the soul, and the surety-righteousness imputed, as the foundation of it, Rom. 8:4.

Q. 20. Why are these to be sought in the first place?
A. Because absolutely necessary to salvation, Rom. 5:21.

Q. 21. In whose NAME are we to ask things agreeable to God’s will?
A. In the name of Christ.

Q. 22. What is it to pray in the name of Christ?
A. It is, “in obedience to his command, and in confidence of his promise, to ask mercies for his sake?”

Q. 23. Is the bare mentioning of Christ’s name, a praying therein?
A. No; but a “drawing our encouragement to pray, and our boldness, strength, and hope of acceptance in prayer, from Christ and his mediation.”

Q. 24. “Why are we to pray in the name of Christ?”
A. “Because the sinfulness of man, and his distance from God, by reason thereof, is so great, as that we can have no access into his presence without a Mediator.”

Q. 25. Is there any other Mediator but Christ, in whose name we may approach to God?
A. No; “there being none in heaven or earth appointed to, or fit for that glorious work but Christ alone, we are to pray in no other name but his only, Col. 3:17.

Q. 26. Can we, of ourselves, pray in a right manner?
A. No; unless the Spirit of supplication is poured upon us, (Zech. 12:10) to help our infirmities; “for we know not what to pray for as we ought,” Rom. 8:26.

Q. 27. How doth the Spirit help us to pray?
A. By enabling us to understand both for whom, and what, and how prayer is to be made?”

Q. 28. For whom are we to pray?
A. For the whole church of Christ upon earth; for magistrates, and ministers; for ourselves, our brethren; yea, our enemies; and for all sorts of men living, or that shall live hereafter.”

Q. 29. For what are we to pray, in behalf of the whole church of Christ upon earth?
A. “That they all may be one” in Christ, the glorious head, John 17:21; and that they may “grow up unto him in all things,” Eph. 4:15, till they “all come in the unity of the faith, and knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ,” verse 13.

Q. 30. For what should we pray with reference to magistrates?
A. That they may not be “a terror to good works, but to the evil,” Rom. 13:3; and that, under them, we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, in all godliness and honesty, 1 Tim. 2:2.

Q. 31. For what should we pray in behalf of ministers?
A. That they may not SHUN to declare to their hearers “the whole counsel of God,” Acts 20:27; and that they may “watch for their souls, as they that must give account,” Heb. 13:17.

Q. 32. Can we be hearty in praying for others, if we neglect to pray for ourselves?
A. No; for if we are indifferent about the state of our own souls, it is impossible we can be concerned for others, any farther than our interest and affection bind us, Job 27:10.

Q. 33. Who are our brethren for whom we are to pray?
A. They are not only our kindred, according to the flesh, but all the members of the visible church; yea, all our fellow-creatures, 1 John 4:21.

Q. 34. For what are we to pray in behalf of our, enemies?
A. That their hearts may be changed, their tempers softened, that however they have treated us, they may be made Christ’s friends, and partakers of eternal salvation through him, Matt. 5:44, compared with Luke 23:34.

Q. 35. If we are to pray for all sorts of men living, how may we pray about the Roman Antichrist?
A. Out of the love we should bear to our fellow-creatures, who are under the yoke and dominion of the Roman Antichrist, we ought to pray no otherwise about him, than that the Lord would soon “consume him with the Spirit of his mouth, and destroy him with the brightness of his coming,” 2 Thess. 2:8.

Q. 36. What do we mean, when we pray for those that shall live hereafter?
A. We hereby desire, that Christ’s kingdom and interest may be propagated and advanced in the world, until his second coming, Psalm 102:18; John 17:20.

Q. 37. For whom are we not to pray?
A. We are not to pray “for the dead, 2 Sam. 12:23; nor for those that are known to have sinned the sin unto death, 1 John 5:16.”

Q. 38. Why should we not pray for the dead?
A. Because at death the state of every man and woman is unalterably fixed, Luke 14:22-27.

Q. 39. How may those be known, who have sinned the sin unto death?
A. By their rejection of the gospel which they once professed to embrace; by their malice and envy against Christ, and the way of salvation through him; by their treating the convincing evidences of Christianity, and the peculiar doctrines of it, with blasphemy and contempt; and by their rooted hatred of all religion, and the professors of it.

Q. 40. Why are we not to pray for those, who are known to have sinned this sin?
A. Because the sin against the Holy Ghost is declared, in scripture, to be unpardonable, Matt. 12:31, 32, in regard it is a wilful and blasphemous opposition to the testimony of the Spirit of God concerning Christ, as the only way of salvation, Luke 12:10.

Q. 41. For what things are we to pray?
A. For all things tending to the glory of God, the welfare of the church, our own or others’ good, but not for any thing that is unlawful.

Q. 42. How are we to pray?
A. We are to pray — with understanding, faith, sincerity, fervency, love, and perseverance.

Q. 43. What is it to pray with understanding?
A. It is to have some knowledge of God, who is the object of prayer, Psalm 65:2; of our own necessities, which are the subject-matter of it, Psalm 60:11; and of the promises, which are our encouragement in it, Num. 14:17-19.

Q. 44. What is it to pray in faith?
A. It is to believe that we receive the promised blessings we ask, because he has said, “What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them,” Mark 11:24.

Q. 45. What is it to pray with sincerity and fervency?
A. It is to have the heart and affections earnestly intent upon what we are praying for, Psalm 17:1 — “O Lord, attend unto my cry; give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.”

Q. 46. What is that love to God, which should be exercised in prayer?
A. It is an ardent desire of his presence, Isaiah 26:9; and an unfeigned delight in him, as the most amiable and soul-satisfying object, Psalm 73:25.

Q. 47. What is it to pray with perseverance? Eph. 6:18.
A. It is to continue “instant in prayer,” as the word is rendered, Rom. 12:12; or, to bear up against all discouragements, and not to give over, though we have not a speedy answer or return, Matt. 15:22-29.

Q. 48. Is there any difference between praying with perseverance, and praying always, or without ceasing? 1 Thess. 5:17.
A. The difference may lie in this, that to pray with perseverance, is not to become weary of the duty, or desist from it, though we do not immediately obtain what we are praying for; but to pray always, or without ceasing, is to study to maintain a praying frame, Psalm 73:23, and not to neglect the seasons of prayer, as they recur, Psalm 61:2.

Q. 49. What are the several kinds of prayer mentioned in scripture?
A. They are commonly ranked under these three, namely, secret, private, and public prayer.

Q. 50. What is SECRET prayer?
A. It is the retirement of individuals, or single persons, from all company with others, for a time, that they may have free and familiar intercourse with God by themselves: Matt. 6:6 — “But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet; and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret.”

Q. 51. Is secret prayer incumbent on every Christian?
A. Yes; because every Christian has his own particular wants to be supplied, Psalm 70:5; doubts to be solved, Isaiah 38:14; and difficulties to be removed, 2 Cor 12:8, which none but God himself can do, Psalm 35:10.

Q. 52. May there not be secret prayer even in company with others?
A. Yes; there may be what is ordinarily called EJACULATORY prayer.

Q. 53. What is ejaculatory prayer?
A. It is a secret and sudden lifting up of the soul’s desires to God, upon any emergency that may occur in providence.

Q. 54. How may we engage in this kind of prayer?
A. Either by a simple thought darted up to heaven, as it would seem Nehemiah did, chap. 2:4; or by words uttered in the mind, yet so as the voice cannot be heard, as we read that Hannah did, 1 Sam. 1:13.

Q. 55. With what success have these ejaculatory breathings of the soul met?
A. They have met with very quick and happy returns, as in the instance of Moses, who, in the midst of the people’s murmuring at the Red Sea, despatched his desires to heaven, in some short ejaculation, to which the Lord gave a present return, Ex. 14:15 — “Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward.” And the sons of Reuben, &c., when fighting with the Hagarites, 1 Chron. 5:20 — “They cried to God in the battle, and he was entreated of them.”

Q. 56 What is the usefulness of ejaculatory prayer?
A. It tends to maintain fellowship with God, without any interruption of our lawful callings, Psalm 73:23. It is also a mean to repel sudden temptations, 2 Cor. 12:8, 9; and to dispose the heart for a more solemn performance of the stated duties of prayer and praise in the season of them, Psalm 42: verses 6th and 8th compared.

Q. 57. What is PRIVATE prayer?
A. It is prayer among a few Christians, met together for joining in that solemn exercise, Rom. 16:5.

Q. 58. How is it commonly distinguished?
A. Into family, and social prayer.

Q. 59. What is social prayer?
A. It is to pray in a fellowship society of Christians, out of several families, intermixed with spiritual conference upon soul-edifying subjects; and that at such times as they mutually agree among themselves, Mal. 3:16.

Q. 60. What is PUBLIC prayer?
A. It is the solemn worshipping of God by the church, in her public assemblies, in which a pastor, or one authorized to preach the gospel, is always the mouth of the people to God, Acts 20:36.

Q. 61. What is it to JOIN in private or public prayer, where one is the mouth of the rest?
A. It is to offer up the desires that come from the mouth of the speaker, (for things agreeable to God’s will), as if uttered by ourselves.

Q. 62. What is incumbent on those who are the mouth of others in prayer to God?
A. They are called, to take very special care, that their prayers be regulated exactly by the revealed will of God; in which case all present will be encouraged to join in every part of the duty.

Q. 63. What is requisite for joining in prayer in a right manner?
A. It is highly requisite, in order to this, that there be close attention without wandering, Acts 2:42 — “And they continued steadfastly in prayers;” that there be a lively faith, without doubting, James 1:6; and a series of ejaculation concurring with the words of God that may be spoken, 1 Chron. 16:36.

Q. 64. What is the SECOND PART of prayer mentioned in the answer?
A. It is confession of our sins.

Q. 65. Why is confession of sin mentioned as a part of prayer?
A. Because, being sinners, we cannot pray in faith for any promised mercy, without acknowledging our unworthiness of it; or that it is infinitely above our desert, Dan. 9:18.

Q. 66. What then does the confession of sin necessarily suppose?
A. It supposes guilt, and deserved punishment on account of it, Ezra 9:13.

Q. 67. Why is confession of sin necessary in prayer?
A. Because we cannot be cordial and hearty in asking forgiveness of our sins, unless we are some way affected by a sense of them, Psalm 25:11.

Q. 68. For what end should we confess our sins in prayer?
A. That God may be justified, and have the glory of his judgments, as being all of them just and righteous, Psalm 51:4; and that we may be humbled, and disposed to receive undeserved favours with gratitude, Psalm 32:5.

Q. 69. In what manner should we confess our sins?
A. With grief and hatred of them, Luke 18:13; and with full purpose (in the strength of grace) to forsake them, Job 34:32.

Q. 70. What is the THIRD PART of prayer mentioned in the answer?
A. It is a thankful acknowledgment of his mercies.

Q. 71. Are prayer and thanksgiving joined together in scripture?
A. Yes; Psalm 116:17 — “I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.”

Q. 72. What is the subject-matter of thankfulness?
A. It is mercies, or benefits, whether offered or received.

Q. 73. Why are the blessings we want called mercies?
A. Because having made ourselves miserable by sin, we are most unworthy and undeserving of them, Gen. 32:10.

Q. 74. Why called his mercies?
A. Because God himself is the author of them, and they are his free gift to us, 1 Tim. 6:17.

Q. 75. For what mercies ought we to be thankful?
A. Both for temporal and spiritual; common and special mercies, Psalm 145:9.

Q. 76. What is the best evidence of thankfulness to God for his mercies of any kind?
A. It is to be thankful for Christ, his unspeakable gift, 2 Cor. 9:15.

Q. 77. When ought we to make thankful acknowledgment to God for his mercies?
A. At all times, and on all occasions; there being no condition of life, but what has some mixture of mercy in it, Job 11:6; Psalm 101:1.

Q. 78. Is there ground of thankfulness under afflictions or chastisements?
A. “Though no chastening for the present be joyous, but grievous;” nevertheless it is ground of thankfulness, if “afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness, and be for our profit, and that we may be partakers of his holiness,” Heb. 12:10, 11.

Q. 79. Why ought prayer to be joined with a thankful acknowledgment of God’s mercies?
A. That the mercies we receive may be blessed to us in the use of them; and that we may not, by our ingratitude, provoke God to deny us the mercies we may ask for the future, Isaiah 1:15.

Q. 80. How may we know if our prayers are accepted and heard?
A. If we have been helped to enlargement and importunity in prayer, and yet have attained to a holy submission to the will of God, as to the particular we were asking, it is a good evidence that he has heard the voice of our supplication, 2 Chron. 20:12, 17.

Q. 81. How may we know whether mercies come to us in the course of common providence, or as an answer to prayer?
A. This may be known both from the manner, and from the time, in which mercies are received.

Q. 82. How may it appear from the manner in which mercies are received, that they are in answer to our prayers?
A. It may be known by these two signs; namely, if the mercy be granted speedily and unexpectedly, Isaiah 65:24; and other mercies are conferred together with, and over and above that which we desired, 1 Kings 3:12, 13.

Q. 83. How may it be known from the time in which mercies are received, that they are given in return of prayer?
A. If they are granted at the time when we need them most, or at the time when we are most earnest and importunate about them; as Peter’s deliverance from prison was on the very night which Herod had determined should be his last; and likewise when the church was assembled to wrestle in prayer for him, Acts 12:6, 7, 12.

Q. 84. Why does the Lord delay mercies, which he designs afterwards to confer?
A. He delays granting them, that we may be the more thankful for them when they come; and in the mean time to make us more assiduous and ardent supplicants for them, 2 Cor. 12:8, 9.

––––––––––––––––––––––
[1] Ibid., Question 179.
[2] Ibid.
[3] Larger Catechism, Quest. 180.
[4] Ibid.
[5] Ibid., Question 181.
[6] Ibid.
[7] Ibid., Question 182.
[8] Ibid., Question 183.
[9] Larger Catechism, Quest. 183.
[10] See a further account of the sin against the Holy Ghost, Part 1. On the head of Sin in General.
[11] Larger Catechism, Quest. 184.
[12] Ibid., Question 185.
[13] About family prayer, see on the head of Sanctifying the Sabbath.

Prayer is used by God to change us. He also uses the prayers of his people to do his work. Prayer is also used to remind us that he is a God to be worshipped and gloried. Prayer is also used for us to bring our troubled hearts to him for healing and renewal. Prayer should humble us before God. Prayer should be an intimate time we have with God where he can stir our hearts and bring true repentance into our hearts which will turn us away from sin and lead us to living righteous lives. Prayer should also be used to ask of God for earthly things that we need in order to live here on earth whether that's physical things or physical healing. Prayer should also be used to ask God to keep his promises to us to sanctify us and fill us with the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Asking God for things that we need, should place us in a position of humbleness before him knowing that we would have nothing without his generosity. So why do we pray? Because God has commanded that we pray. If that were the only reason we prayed, it would be the greatest reason we do pray. But God is very gracious to us and uses prayer to benefit us greatly. I think we don't ask enough of God and we try to sort things out on our own. In some ways, being "American" hinders our understanding of being under a king. We are so independent (it's the American way) that we don't cling to Christ the way he wants us to cling to him. It's hard to understand how to live under his kingship. He wants us to bring every issue to him not just those we can't solve on our own. Prayer should show us our status before God and God's status over his creation. In the end, we all know he's sovereign and his will will be done, but the key is for us to pray that God molds our will to his own and comforts, encourages, strengthens us as he does so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back