Prayer-Tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PresbyDane

Puritanboard Doctor
Bedestol_48aedbe0b2b75_90x90.jpg

What think Ye of prayer-tools suchs as this?

Bedestol_48aedbe0b2b75_90x90.jpg

What think Ye of prayer-tools suchs as this?

I'd be better able to tell you if I knew what it was.

I assume it's a chair... but I don't know what's supposed to be special about it. As such, it looks just like a chair. I don't think I need a special chair to sit in to pray... but maybe I'm missing something. :D

I do not know what it is called in english, directly translated it is a praying-chair, you are supposed to kneal on the seat and put your bend arms on top of what looks like the back rest.

I do not know what it is called in english, directly translated it is a praying-chair, you are supposed to kneal on the seat and put your bend arms on top of what looks like the back rest.

Okay... well, as such, I don't see the point. Prayer isn't about physical posture, nor is there anything special about a particular chair, whatever it does. If for whatever reason I felt I had to kneel or bend over in that way in order to get my frame of mind right for prayer, I don't think I'd need to buy a special chair for the purpose. Others may differ, but I don't see the reason or need to buy such a thing. Looks like a good way to make money, though. I suspect it costs more than the normal every day chairs we have in our houses.

images

What about tools like this?

Are there anything good to be said about tools for prayer and concentrations like this one and the one above?

Why/Why Not?

I find no place in Scripture that commands or even suggests the use of prayer "tools". I don't think there is even a preferred prayer position - men pray standing, kneeling, on their faces, with their faces lifted toward heaven, etc. But you do find commands that prayer be made with the proper heart attitude and with/in faith believing that our heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. Most importantly, I think, is the fact that we are indeed commanded to pray.

I would reject the beads out right, but if a particular position or location for prayer helps you to concentrate and adopt the proper attitude, then I say go for it. Just don't let it become ritualized to the point that the place and position become more important than the practice.

Blessings,

Just so no one here thinks I am turning catholic (my wife says I should make this clear)

The thing is, that some of my "friends" (young christians I know) have begun using prayer-tools, such as a chair and beeds on a string, not like the ones on the picture they were just the best pic I could find on the web,

I do not know what to make of it, I do not find it directly wrong, bu I have a strange feeling about it.
But again I have a preferred prayer position myself so...

Well I do not know and wnted some other reformed peoples help :)

Scripture supports a variety of postures for prayer, so that's less of an issue, but the rosary (which is what the beads resemble) are found nowhere in Scripture. Often, beads like those are accompanied solely by memorized prayers rather than an honest outpouring of the heart. If one must follow a "model" for prayer, I humbly suggest building on the frame of the Lord's Prayer and/or using the ACTS frame (adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and supplication). These frames are biblical and allow us to genuinely communicate with God.

Scripture supports a variety of postures for prayer, so that's less of an issue, but the rosary (which is what the beads resemble) are found nowhere in Scripture. Often, beads like those are accompanied solely by memorized prayers rather than an honest outpouring of the heart. If one must follow a "model" for prayer, I humbly suggest building on the frame of the Lord's Prayer and/or using the ACTS frame (adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and supplication). These frames are biblical and allow us to genuinely communicate with God.

:amen:

Using the beads in a Catholic fashion would be pointless. Merely repeating a prayer ten times does not make the prayer ten times more powerful or valid. If you are using the individual beads as a reminder for a specific prayer concern (in much the same way people tie strings to fingers as a memory aid), I don't see a problem. Is it a requirement? no, but I see it as circumstantial and still in line with the RPW.

I have seen a kneeling stand like the one in the OP in a movie about King Henry VIII. It was used by Anne Bolelyn to pray in the Tower. She was not Catholic but it may have been originally an RCC thing. It was probably more practical than anything because it was that or the cold stone floor. :2cents:

I agree with Anna about beads. Prayer should be pouring your heart out to God, not vain repetition.

Matthew 6:7
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

To add possibly useless trivia, the proper name for the piece of furniture is 'Prie Dieu'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back