Praying at the ‘altar’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jvictory15

Puritan Board Freshman
I attend an SBC church and have my whole life. I would consider myself new-ish to reformed theology, so I’m trying to connect a lot of dots in my past and current ecclesiastical experience.

My question is in regards not to altar calls, but believers coming to the stage area during a time set apart for invitation kneeling down and praying. More specifically where did this practice originate and do those folks who participate in this believe in some ‘extra power’ of sorts if a prayer is prayed on the altar? I will say most churches I’ve seen this in are dispensational in nature.

The more my eyes are opened to the reformed faith the more dots are connected to my previous Dispensational background and would love to know the reasoning behind this practice.
Thanks!

I'm not quite sure of your question: are you asking about a different thing than an altar call, or are you asking about a specific aspect of an altar call? If it's the aspect of the altar call, then it is a result, unfortunately, of Charles Finney's "New Measures," which were in some sense created to manufacture revivals. He was a pragmatist in religion, and merely used "what worked." People have some sort of reverence for the front of the "sanctuary," and so Finney used it for pressing for decisions. I don't know if there is much more than that.

I'm not quite sure of your question: are you asking about a different thing than an altar call, or are you asking about a specific aspect of an altar call? If it's the aspect of the altar call, then it is a result, unfortunately, of Charles Finney's "New Measures," which were in some sense created to manufacture revivals. He was a pragmatist in religion, and merely used "what worked." People have some sort of reverence for the front of the "sanctuary," and so Finney used it for pressing for decisions. I don't know if there is much more than that.
Sorry about the lack of clarity. No I’m not speaking of an altar call per se. there were two (believing) couples at the church I attend this morning walk up front during the ‘invitation’ kneel down at the ‘altar’ and pray. This is a fairly normal thing to happen. I’m just wondering what the point of going up in front of everyone to pray is?…at least in their minds

My question is in regards not to altar calls, but believers coming to the stage area during a time set apart for invitation kneeling down and praying. More specifically where did this practice originate and do those folks who participate in this believe in some ‘extra power’ of sorts if a prayer is prayed on the altar? I will say most churches I’ve seen this in are dispensational in nature.

I've seen this done from time to time and I think the practice is associated (symbolically) with Hebrews 4:16.

When I've seen this done, which is rather rare, it is by people who are experiencing pain and suffering in their lives and they come forward and while praying on their knees the pastor or another elder will pray alongside them and be of comfort to them.

I suspect it depends on the individual church, and even on the individual believer, as to whether or not going up front is seen to have special power. Most SBC churches, I would think, have a good enough theology that they would deny there's any magical power to the act of going up front or to that part of the sanctuary. But many might say there's value in making one's repentance or request of God public and visible, or in including a physical element that affirms the inward commitment one is making. That's less objectionable than out-and-out belief that the front of the sanctuary has special power, but because our hearts manufacture idols from such things, there will always be the risk that individuals treat going up front as if it has special powers, perhaps without even fully realizing they are making an idol of it.

As Grant mentioned, the origin of this tradition is probably Finney's "anxious bench" or "mourner's bench," which gives the practice a questionable heritage, to say the least. John Williamson Nevin's critique of Finney's practice, published 180 years ago, is still a helpful rebuke in our day and is available online here. I wouldn't say that all acts of going up front during the service are necessarily wrong, depending on one's purpose and mindset, but I'm wary of them given the history of such things in the American church. Handle with great care.

I understood a connection both to a public profession of faith and a recognition of congregationalism because the people would vote to accept a person into membership. The front of the meeting place makes sense on both counts, but the use of the term altar makes my toes curl.

I grew up in a church like this, although it was Pentecostal Holiness, not Southern Baptist. I agree with what I believe is the rhetorical intent behind the question @Susan777 asked. Sure, we can discern the revivalist roots of something like what you're describing, praying at the "altar" and what have you. However, the real question we ought to be asking is: Why does any Protestant church have something that is called an "altar"? This is Roman Catholic to the core, in my opinion. Sure, they aren't sacrificing Christ time and again as in the popish mass, but why is it there at all? There is no more need for an earthly altar. We have something better: "For Christ did not enter a holy place made by hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us" (Heb. 9:24).

In my opinion, without trying to discern motives here, is that the reason this is a thing is because so many people lack assurance, and so instead of living by faith in the Son of God, they go after the sensual in order to have something "tangible" on which to hold for this faith. It was the problem of those teaching error at Colossae:

"If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 'Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!' (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of man? These are matters which do have the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and humility and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence" (Col. 2:20-23).​

Last edited:
While I agree with what was said about Finney, I’d also say it is partially papist too. Coming and kneeling before candles…

Moreover, the altar is Christ. To not see and use the term altar as Christ (or see Him in the altar of the OT ceremonial law) is by necessity Jewish or more modern Papist. I’m not saying the author of OP is doing this necessarily…

While I agree with what was said about Finney, I’d also say it is partially papist too. Coming and kneeling before candles…

Moreover, the altar is Christ. To not see and use the term altar as Christ (or see Him in the altar of the OT ceremonial law) is by necessity Jewish or more modern Papist. I’m not saying the author of OP is doing this necessarily…
I was simply using language that I have heard and believe many in the church I attend would use. I do not agree whatsoever with that the use of the term ‘altar’ in this scenario.

I have seen this too, and it's just a time set apart for anyone who would like an Elder to pray with or for them. They go to the front because that's where the Elders have gathered to meet with anyone who indicates a desire to pray with an Elder, that's all. This is not to be confused with the so-called "altar call," which is the offensive and unbiblical call to "come forward to receive Christ." WHAT?! If salvation comes as a result of "making a decision" while still seated in the pew, then why are they told, "come forward to receive Christ?" Now they're adding new requirements for salvation! While open confession of Christ certainly is a mark of any true Christian, it is not some requirement as in order to become a Christian. That's why "altar calls" always offend me... but the question originally asked has nothing at all to do with the evangelistic "altar call."

As others have noted, all indication is that the historical roots of the practice among evangelicals lies in Finney revivalism. The group I grew up in had considerable Pentecostal influence and in that tradition the "altar" (essentially the open space in front of the platform/pulpit) was similarly considered an optimal place, whether with or without a specific spoken invitation, to "seek blessing", particularly the so-called Second Blessing (a.k.a. the Baptism of the Holy Ghost). A kindred but more generalized "blessing at the altar" concept is also seen within other Holiness groups. William J. Seymour, a famous leader in the early Pentecostal Revival explained:

The meeting was then transferred to Azusa Street, and since then multitudes have been coming. The meetings begin about ten o’clock in the morning and can hardly stop before ten or twelve at night, and sometimes two or three in the morning, because so many are seeking, and some are slain under the power of God. People are seeking three times a day at the altar and row after row of seats have to be emptied and filled with seekers. We cannot tell how many people have been saved, and sanctified, and baptized with the Holy Ghost, and healed of all manner of sicknesses. Many are speaking in new tongues, and some are on their way to the foreign fields, with the gift of the language. We are going on to get more of the power of God. (The Apostolic Faith Magazine, May, 1907)​

I grew up in a church like this, although it was Pentecostal Holiness, not Southern Baptist. I agree with what I believe is the rhetorical intent behind the question @Susan777 asked. Sure, we can discern the revivalist roots of something like what you're describing, praying at the "altar" and what have you. However, the real question we ought to be asking is: Why does any Protestant church have something that is called an "altar"? This is Roman Catholic to the core, in my opinion. Sure, they aren't sacrificing Christ time and again as in the popish mass, but why is it there at all? There is no more need for an earthly altar. We have something better: "For Christ did not enter a holy place made by hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us" (Heb. 9:24).

In my opinion, without trying to discern motives here, is that the reason this is a thing is because so many people lack assurance, and so instead of living by faith in the Son of God, they go after the sensual in order to have something "tangible" on which to hold for this faith. It was the problem of those teaching error at Colossae:

"If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 'Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!' (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of man? These are matters which do have the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and humility and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence" (Col. 2:20-23).​
I was making reference to the idea of an alter, for any purpose, in a Protestant church. I believe it is an affront to the finished work of Christ. When we talk about alter calls and “going to the alter” in marriage we show confusion in what an alter represents. As pastor Barnes said, Christ is our alter.

When I've seen this done, which is rather rare, it is by people who are experiencing pain and suffering in their lives and they come forward and while praying on their knees the pastor or another elder will pray alongside them and be of comfort to them.
Our church used to invite folks to meet in the corners of the room after the service with folks wearing distictive badges if they had a prayer need or need to talk to someone. Since things have opened back up, there is now an easily spotted location where they can meet with the pastor or others for those needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back