Preaching in the Vernacular

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, bring the congregation up, don't dumb it down.

That being said, I do appreciate pastors like Beeke who, though they use complex language at times, have usually explained the concept earlier in the message to the point where all listeners are ready for the more complex terms he introduces. It seems to me that in his sermons, so long as you have a decent knowledge of the bible, the message would be interesting and profitable to even a 10 year old.

Last edited:
The concept of the category of hearers (see William Perkins' The Art of Prophesying) is critical here. The man who preaches just to a section of his congregation (whether they be 40 year olds or 6 year olds) and lets the rest starve is a fool.

I was just reading "Puritan Reformed Spirituality" and in it, it has a very nice section on Theodorus Jacobus Frelinghuysen, who used some concepts put forward by Verschuir's writings to classify his congregation (sterk - strong, bekommerde - concerned, letterwyse - letter-learned, and onkunde - ignorant) to make sure that he was getting through to all that sat in church. Now that's the sort of 'felt needs' preaching that I can get on board with.

Got anything more to add? ;)

If I did, I might refute myself, sort of....:lol:

There is always so much to say....

I need self-restraint with self-control even when preaching. One of my problems has to do with the final draft. I edit, but everything I've studied comes back in somehow.... Sometimes a sermon turns into a series. Our people don't mind. After all these years, they know my quirks. Anyone else have this problem?

Mike

Absolutely! As I have mentioned, my wife's feedback is essential. (If not hard to swallow sometimes) :spitlol:

I have also found that through practice, I get better at the sermon illustration. Sometimes I rack my brain for days but I can always count on the HS to provide. After all, it is His desire that the sermon is understood by His sheep!

John MacArthur once remarked that the longer he has been in the ministry, the fewer sermon illustrations he uses. And most of the illustrations he does use tend to come from Scripture.

I need self-restraint with self-control even when preaching. One of my problems has to do with the final draft. I edit, but everything I've studied comes back in somehow.... Sometimes a sermon turns into a series. Our people don't mind. After all these years, they know my quirks. Anyone else have this problem?

I've become convinced, based on my own preaching experience, that the Holy Spirit edits a preacher's sermon even as he's in the act of preaching it. I've had other preachers say the same.

I think we have to make an important distinction here. There are words that are vitally important that we need to use, words like imputation, propitiation, expiation. etc. However, it is how we explain those words that is important. The reason those words are important is that the Bible uses them. So, we use these words, but we explain them so that they are understood, whatever that takes. Usually it takes careful explanation in easy to understand terms. So, I'm not in favor of dumbing the message down. I'm in favor of bringing the whole congregation up.

Every sermon, on every topic should have material that is understandable to a 5-6 year old. That does not mean that everything said should be in 5-6 year old's terms.

The concept of the category of hearers (see William Perkins' The Art of Prophesying) is critical here. The man who preaches just to a section of his congregation (whether they be 40 year olds or 6 year olds) and lets the rest starve is a fool.

I agree with both of you. Hence, my contention that a teacher has got to know who he is speaking to.

Sonya once commented to me that she's sometimes afraid that I use large words (because I still do) but then she said that I'll re-tread the ground to make sure that the word is used more than once and with enough explanatory notes to make the point.

Let me give you an example of some of the vocabulary that I'm familiar with and see if you understand what I'm trying to tell you:

Today I was supposed to go to White Beach to get on an MH-60 to visit an LHA and check out their C4 infrastructure. It turns out the MEU was in the middle of quals, the air was crushed. The S-4 and the XO were trying to make it work but it just couldn't happen so it got cancelled. I re-sheduled. This meeting is very important because I've been working C2 issues with the MEF and the MLG for some time and the MEU CO had expressed some interest in our visit.

Did you get any of that?

I could bring that to a High School educated man who barely reads and he would understand everything I just said.

The problem is not with the words but your familiarity with them. I "live" in several different worlds that have their own lingo: Marine Corps, DOD, U.S. Government, IT, Communications, and theology among others.

I can navigate all of them. I can bring an issue from one field of specialty to another because, over many years, I've had to make sure that when an issue of critical importance came to the fore that I could communicate that issue to a group that doesn't know the lingo of my field.

I can't simply walk into a meeting with my CG (Commanding General) tomorrow where we're asking for $1.2 million for some battle cabin upgrades and talk in language where he cannot understand me. I have to explain it in such a way as to ensure that he understands why it is relevant to his mission and will enhance success. In other words, not only must he understand what I'm saying but I have to understand enough about him to know what he knows and what his priorities are.

I completely agree that people rise to the level of the expectations you place on them. Far be it from me to suggest that every topic is suitable for a five year old. Some concepts cannot be grasped by the immature but the germ of those ideas can be understood. I can provide the seed of understanding for my five year old on Christ's righteousness for him by explaining it in his terms or I can just say: "Christ's righteousness is imputed to you if you place your faith in Him."

My point about mastering a topic above is that many "technical people" (and I include theology among those disciplines that has its own technical language) prove their lack of mastery in a subject or their lack of maturity in that subject by being unable to express themselves in anything other than the language of their field. Part of the reason I exist on my CG's staff is as much that I can give mature and cogent expression to a large audience on what the C4 priorities are for my unit as I am to direct and organize the people that are performing it.

Thus, I've sat through excrutiating sermons from young men who were trained in Seminary but present its doctrines to people as if they're in a lecture hall. They actually succeed at the unthinkable: they make these grand truths sterile and boring when they are nothing of the sort.

I've become convinced, based on my own preaching experience, that the Holy Spirit edits a preacher's sermon even as he's in the act of preaching it. I've had other preachers say the same.

Indeed, this is so. A helpful rule is as one wise pastor put it: “When God gives you light on your feet, follow the light! Your notes will be there next week, but the light won’t!”

DTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back