Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have no real attachment to any particular club in England I usually choose a team to follow every year. Last year it was Swansea City, but this year I am following West Bromwich Albion.

Though I still follow Portsmouth FC fairly closely even though they are in a lower league.

I tend to have more interest in the Bundesliga. On Friday, the Chelsea fan in the next office was keeping me up to date on the scoring in the Chelsea-Bayern Munich match. We were pulling for different teams (although I usually pull for Leverkusen) I had to look up who was in the Premiere league now - I recognized about half the teams. Aston Villa used to play some games in Atlanta when I was young, but I never became a fan.

Chelsea as they were set up by someone from Glasgow Rangers - hence the near identical strip. However, my main teams are Bristol City (who used to be the premiership) and Yeovil Town (who probably don't know where it is).

I developed an attachment to Arsenal and they break my heart every year. Hopefully the Ozil signing will end that trend...

Chelsea as they were set up by someone from Glasgow Rangers - hence the near identical strip. However, my main teams are Bristol City (who used to be the premiership) and Yeovil Town (who probably don't know where it is).

this.

Premier Fans,

I am curious about one thing in terms of team loyalty: Do fans generally commit to the team and players or to the city? I ask because the players (especially in leagues like Premier or Champions) aren't necessarily from that team or even that city/country. Because of this, it seems almost like the team's city is irrelevant as the sponsor is what seems to determine the quality of the team and players?

SDG

Premier Fans,

I am curious about one thing in terms of team loyalty: Do fans generally commit to the team and players or to the city? I ask because the players (especially in leagues like Premier or Champions) aren't necessarily from that team or even that city/country. Because of this, it seems almost like the team's city is irrelevant as the sponsor is what seems to determine the quality of the team and players?

SDG

You'll find that most people in the U.S. support the big name teams because they are the most easily accessed here. The big teams get the money, which equals more television, and so on. Then, many follow certain teams because a big name player is on the team. Very few, I think, follow a team because of the city.

In the past - essentially pre TV era, almost everyone would support their local team. Now ever more fans follow one of the big teams. A football team tends to be for life - regardless of how badly they do.

I'm a Liverpool fan.
...it's been painful in recent years. Hoping their strong start this year continues.

I saw my first Premier League match last Saturday on TV. I liked it but I don't like the fact that the jerseys have sponsors instead of team names.

As much as I love football, I must admit the English Premiership is really beginning to annoy me. The outrageous wages demanded by players shows the greed of the players whilst their agents are even worse. However you can't blame the players if clubs are daft enough to give spoilt little boys whatever they want. Do the owners and treasurers of those clubs not understand basic economics? I feel the Premiership is not so much won but bought by the rich clubs and the gap will increase with the rich getting richer and a lot of other clubs will struggle.

I find it immoral with all the poverty in the world, footballers will get £200 000+ a week. Yet overworked stressed out nurses would have to work for 10 years to earn what footballers would earn in a week

I sometimes watch the local club, Lisburn Distillery, the standard may not be up to much and there might only be a few hundred watching, but I feel I am watching real football. No one is playing for the money but because they love the game and it's refreshing to see people who after a hard tackle get up and get on with it instead of rolling about the ground when someone brushes past them.

Sorry, rant of the week over (and it's only Wednesday)

Stuart, I share some of your frustrations as well. Money is increasingly an important factor. Maybe they should introduce some sort of moneyball system in soccer (football). That'd be interesting!

UEFA have set in place a system which will come into place in the next couple of years where players wages will not be allowed to exceed a certain % of the clubs income. They are also saying that clubs with excessive debts will not be permitted to take part in the Champions League.

BTW to answer the original question posted, I always like to see Everton do well. My oldest son supports Chelsea whilst the other two support Man Utd.

Back then there was virtually no football on the Lord's Day

If ever I became the Prime Minister, which admittedly is most unlikely, the first law I would make would be that football can only be played on a Saturday at 3 o'clock or a Wednesday at 8 o'clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back