Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.

JML

Puritan Board Junior
I follow the MLS (Sporting Kansas City) but don't keep up much with the Premier League. I am looking at following it more but I don't have a particular team in the league since I really don't know anything about any of them. If you follow the Premier League, who is your team and why?

Liverpool. I started supporting them in 1989-90 because I liked the colour red and was encouraged to support them by my uncle. The first season was the best, as that was the last time they won the league. It has been downhill ever since.

:violin:

I follow Portsmouth(and to some extent Ipswich Town), but they are down in League 2 at present.

Until Pompey play back up I usually pick one of the newly promoted teams...pulling for Leicester City this year, mostly because of Kaspar Schmeichel.

Been supporting Manchester United since 1992 due to my father being an ex friend of Bruce Grobbellar so he supported anything but Liverpool :)

One thing with United, if you have played for them, then you are family. You are treated as such by both fans and the management. Unlike many other teams who tend to boo you off the pitch should you have left their team for some other. United is exactly that...united. So many times people who have played at Old Trafford as an ex United player still tear up due to the amount of respect they are shown for their service to the team.

My sister cannot stand football, but she took my mother to the UK to do the stadium tour, and after that, she has such an unbelievable respect for the team and their loyalty to ex-players.

Bottom line...if you have played for United, you are and will forever be...loved and respected.

Being a Welshman, my loyalties are with Swansea FC. I tried to get behind Cardiff last year, but it just wasn't happening. I think they might have felt it too since they went and got themselves relegated :p

According to my ancestry records, my family lived in East Greenwich, Kent, England after migrating over from France. What is the closest team to that area?

I could not say I support any English team but for some reason that I cannot really explain, I like to see Everton do well. I just discovered recently that the origins of Everton were in a local Methodist Sunday school and that they are the only club never to have been relegated from the top division.

According to my ancestry records, my family lived in East Greenwich, Kent, England after migrating over from France. What is the closest team to that area?

From what I can find on Google, it seems West Ham United might be your team, geographically at least. There are at least a couple of others within a short distance too.

I'd pick Charlton Athletic out of that list (even though they are not currently in the EPL).

The Valley is a sweet ground and there is a pretty cool story behind it.
_40791079_charlton_203.gif

The Valley (London) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I followed a rabbit trail and discovered our genealogies intersect :) So, you should support my hometown team, Plymouth Argyle. (League Two :( )

I followed a rabbit trail and discovered our genealogies intersect :) So, you should support my hometown team, Plymouth Argyle. (League Two :( )

:up: I would be interested in hearing more about the genealogies at some point. It is also interesting that you are in Virginia. We were Huguenots that fled France for England but only stayed a few generations before coming over to Virginia.

I will also look up the Argyle.

Of course my first post on PB is about football... What better way to introduce one's self?

Huge Real Salt Lake (MLS) fan and have followed Liverpool since 2006 (had to pick a team and yes it's been painful). Lots of fun to follow soccer on both sides of the pond. And yes, extremely hurt by Stevie G's move to LA Galaxy. I loathe the Galaxy.

Plymouth Argyle are nicknamed 'the Pilgrims' as of course the Mayflower sailed from there. It also not too far from Dartmouth where John Flavel ministered.

So far I am leaning toward Charlton Athletic which is in the same area my ancestors are from and from the Premier league I am considering Everton. The argument presented above for Man U is compelling but I can't bring myself to cheer for them as it seems to me like cheering for the New York Yankees - the most popular team with all the money.

I assume you mean the English Premier and not the Scottish - which I don't think is going to be competitive this year.

I would think about West Ham - the team that won the World Cup in 1966. Chelsea was set up by people from Glasgow Rangers so gets a lot of support from those in the "proddie tribe"

The argument presented above for Man U is compelling but I can't bring myself to cheer for them as it seems to me like cheering for the New York Yankees - the most popular team with all the money.

What wrong with cheering for the best team, at least you will be watching good soccer ;), that is why I have a hard time watching the MLS the quality is just not there yet, hopefully it will get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back