Prenatal Adoption/Embryo Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
For those unfamiliar with the concept, prenatal adoption is the adoption of an embryo that was frozen and abandoned by its mother in the process of in-vitro fertilization. This of course involves transferring the embryo to the womb of the adoptive mother. I had always thought that this was a good idea. It potentially rescues a human person who would otherwise die, and it is a powerful statement against destructive embryonic research. However when I was in a pro-life group in college I found that many Romanists find prenatal adoption to be unethical. I still can't understand why they would say that, but maybe I'm missing something. How should we think about this question of bioethics?

Scott - perhaps the reason some are against it is that it may have a backlash effect of actually promoting in-vitro fertilization. That is the only reason that I can think of.

As to the morality of "rescuing" these eggs, I have no problem with it. You've given me something to think about that I've never contemplated before.

But no one is opposed to traditional adoption on the grounds that it promotes irresponsible parents. Perhaps its because one would have to cooperate closely with the clinic that perpetuates this evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back