Presbyterian Church Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Is there a good, modern book that lays out, in a readable, orderly way, the biblical principles for Presbyterian church government?

I'm aware of William Cunningham's massive 19th-century work (which is excellent) but I'm looking for something more recent.

(No baptistic potshots, please - I know you're tempted!)

George Gillespie's Assertion of the Government of the Church of Scotland (online somewhere). Something easier might be Samuel Miller's Presbyterianism the truly primitive and Apostolical Constitution of the Church of Christ." Easier still would be Thomas Witherow's Apostolic Church: Which is it, and quite to the liking of two-office Presbyterians (also online somewhere). Perhaps the easiest introduction is to be found in the introductory sections of the traditional Practice and Procedure of the Free Church of Scotland. Blessings!

George Gillespie's Assertion of the Government of the Church of Scotland (online somewhere). Something easier might be Samuel Miller's Presbyterianism the truly primitive and Apostolical Constitution of the Church of Christ." Easier still would be Thomas Witherow's Apostolic Church: Which is it, and quite to the liking of two-office Presbyterians (also online somewhere). Perhaps the easiest introduction is to be found in the introductory sections of the traditional Practice and Procedure of the Free Church of Scotland. Blessings!

All excellent - especially Witherow (being a 2-office kind of guy myself). Anything on this subject written in, say, the last 50 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back