Presenting the Gospel to Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparkerfd20

Puritan Board Freshman
My 7-yo daughter came to me last night and told me those words that I think every Christian dad wants to hear, "Daddy, I want to be a Christian. How can I be saved?" While we've been talking and reading the bible with the kids for some time now, and I've been praying that God would save my children, it kinda caught me off guard.

I went through the plan of salvation with her. stressing carefully her sin and need for a Savior, and the penalty that Jesus paid for her sins. As grownups are prone to do, I couldn't help but wonder if she really understands. She had the right answer to all the questions I asked her. We prayed together and she asked God to forgive her of her sins, that she wanted to live for Him, and wanted to be saved. This morning she woke up telling her mom that she was a Christian and was going to tell everyone at VBS today that she was a Christian.

I've asked God for forgiveness for being this way, but I can't help but be skeptical of such youth and lack of maturity being able to fully grasp the gospel. I don't doubt God's ability to save even the young one iota. I KNOW He can, I'm just unsure if He has. How can I ease my mind?

Rest assured I will continue working and talking with her and supporting any questions she might have. I'm definitely a proud and happy dad!

Praise God! What a wonderful evening. Keep up the good work. Ease your mind by continuing to teach her the word of God, demonstrating faithful obedience in your life; and trusting God for her salvation, not your parenting.

This kind of doubt is understandable, especially as we see that even adults can profess to be Christians yet are not.

What will ease your doubts is the fruit of her profession. As you see a change in her life you can rest assured that there has been a change in her life.

My son, who is 8, professed to be a Christian for quite some time...but it was more of a "matter of fact" then a personal trust in Christ. Last week something interesting happened...

Driving back home after being at the bookstore he asked, "Daddy, can you ground me for 1/2 hour each day?"
When i asked him why he told me that he wanted to spend time with God because he's been neglecting that. So i told him that we could set aside time for him to be with God, but it doesn't have to be "grounding".

When i asked why this sudden interest in getting very personal with Christ his response was ....

"Nobody knows when there time to die is, so i can die on the way home if it was my time. If i died God would not accept me because of my sin, i would not be able to go to Heaven."

This was a huge joy to my heart. When we got home i took him straightway to study the Word of God with him. We went over some salvation passages, particularly 2 Cor 5.
I made it clear to him that spending time in prayer, doing good works, etc. will not secure a place for him in Heaven, but rather only fully relying on Christ. I could see that he was really absorbing it all.

When we were done, he came out of the room and started cleaning up the living room....singing "i feel so free"...and being joyful in the midst of cleaning (an unusual sight for an 8 year old).
I called him over and said, "See the freedom that you now feel? It's a freedom that compelled you to serve. It's for this reason that Christ does set us free - that we would be free to serve Him rather than be enslaved to sin."

He has continued to grow since that day. He even joyfully sanctifies the Lord's Day and loves going to church service.

Praise God for His most supernatural work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back