Pretense of Christian Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by tcalbrecht
Originally posted by JohnV
Just a personal observation:

I've gone to church every Christmas since I was a child; also every Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Good Friday, and Ascension Day, as well as a day on the other end of Thanksgiving Day, Prayer Day: seven in all. At no time did I ever believe them to be "holy days", nor was that ever taught me. As a matter of fact, my parents were adamant about the fact that these were not holy days.

Much of this language is strange to me. I personally am convinced that those who are opposing for worship on those days are not arguing against what I practice. I agree with them on almost all things. It really has nothing to do with me or what I have practiced all my life. I don't have a problem with the RPW and worshipping on special days. And I don't believe for a moment that I am standing on Christian Liberty in order to disestablish the RPW. In fact, I am convinced of the opposite.

What makes them "special" but not "holy", either confessionally or biblically? Certainly "Christmas day" is not special from a biblical standpoint, for God did not even bother to inerrantly reveal the proper day to His children. And the writers of the confession, when speaking of times of particular thanksgiving, were very careful to use the phrase "special occasions", not "special days" which smacks of popery.

What you are left with is simply changing the name in order to mask what is by all accounts a "set apart" (holy) day done on an annual basis to religiously remember an event in a way that God has not commanded in His word.

As I said, you're saying these things about what you think I practice, but not about what I really practice. "Simply changing the name" is just the thing that is avoided; "to mask by all accounts a 'set apart' (holy) day" is just the thing that is not done. There is no resemblance to Popery, and it is not the ones from this background who have resorted back to popery.

I'm just saying, "be careful", that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back