prideful man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
Ezekiel 21
26 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Remove the diadem, and take off the crown: this shall not be the same: exalt him that is low, and abase him that is high.

Daniel 4
37 Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

Luke 14
11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Is it wrong to ask God to abase someone who is very prideful and arrogant especially if they claim to be a Christian but don't truly know the Lord? I know such a person (don't we all?) who is thought very highly of by family and friends, but has a serious attitude problem
and looks down upon others. Although he goes to church (when he's not working that is. he's very covetous and puts his possesions before God) but it is mainly for
show and family. He judges others who don't have as much as he does and thinks because he has a nicer home and a better truck and car that some how makes him a better person. he judges people by what they have or don't have.
I don't know how to relate to someone like that because I never put much stock in personal posessions. not that I don't want nice things, but I don't cling to them or put them before people and relationships. this same person sees no problem being covetous, his dad, a self made preacher is almost the same way. very greedy and prideful. Not sure how to pray for them and wanted to ask if it would be wrong to ask the lord to abse them and make them see that being a Christian is more then having a good name in the community and having a lot of possessions.

Thanks.

Man, you got a good heart and since you're grieved over their sin, that's in tune with God's spirit, too. They should count themselves fortunate to have a humble person to pray for them in this. It may be your burden for them to intercede and help them out there. Pray for him with your own God-given humility. Tell him your greived over their attitude and how it's hurting the kingdom. They probably aren't too happy themselves and they don't know what they are missing in having close friends.

God bless your heart brother. :thumbup:

That's the problem. In many ways I'm worse then he is and can't see it. I need prayer also in this area. It's easy to see the faults of others all the while being blinded by your own. :barfy:
I did not mean to sound so self-righteous
in my post. God does give grace to the humble as I have found the hard way time and time again. Any way, if you could please continue praying for me and him, i sure would appreciate it.

God is soo good.

Blessings.

Won't leave you hanging

You spoke to me in that I have known for a long time I fight using people for my ends as well as having things rather than friends. Praise God for consciences and how He works in us to get rid of the junk for bigger blessings and eternal life.:thumbup:

Scriptures say to pray for all men so you are on safe grounds to pray!

Over time you may find that the person has a fall. Many over the years have made me wonder why the Lord doesn't lower the boom, but He has His reasons for allowing wrong to go on.

One must wonder if those that appear to be believers aren't professors with a great act :rolleyes:

Re; Prideful man

[quote:d4f3031272][i:d4f3031272]Originally posted by exscentric[/i:d4f3031272]
Scriptures say to pray for all men so you are on safe grounds to pray!

Over time you may find that the person has a fall. Many over the years have made me wonder why the Lord doesn't lower the boom, but He has His reasons for allowing wrong to go on.

One must wonder if those that appear to be believers aren't professors with a great act :rolleyes: [/quote:d4f3031272]

Hi exscentric, :biggrin:

To be honest, I really don't think he truly believes at all. being brought up as he was under law his dad being a very stern
self-righteous preacher never showed much grace. he's better now then what he once was, but he's still prideful and self-righteous. I fear that because of how he was brought up, legalistic dad, hypocritical mother(she needs prayer as well) he may never truly come to Christ. I fear his mind has been poisoned to the the truth as it has been perverted for so long to him. but nothing is impossible with God.
I live in a place where the true gospel is not preached and a lot of heresy abounds on every corner. It is easy to understand why so many are like him. Just say a three minute prayer and walk an altar and your saved forever. be religious and look down on those who don't hold to your standard and you'll be ok, because Jesus died so you can be considered good by your peers and every one will admire you and look up to you.
I really feel sorry for them :( I some times wish God would break their baloon and let them see how un-clean they truly are in His eyes. maybe then they would repent and seek Him as they should.

peace.

We have a distant realtive that walks the walk and talks the talk at church but is near criminal in other dealings. He prospers financially and is accepted at all levels of society. Ps.73 comes to mind - I've wondered why God allows it. It has gone on for many years and still he has not changed.

He uses people to his own good. We've been in his house twice - both times he needed his television fixed - I used to be a tech :bouncy:

I assume that his neck isn't yet stiff :bigsmile: and God is waiting for His good time.

It used to bother us a lot till we realized he is God's responsibiity and that He certainly knows what he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back