Priest

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Dean

Puritan Board Junior
I saw this one last Friday, partly because I just love action flicks, but also because I wanted to see how they treated the subject of the Catholic Church.

Although the movie is hardly a bastion of theological wealth, it did redeem itself well at one point: the characters differentiate faith in God from faith in the Catholic church, which was somewhat refreshing to see (not all movies make such a distinction).

Much to my surprise, I enjoyed the movie. What I found interesting was that the Catholic church, as depicted in the movie, was very similar to the Catholic church at the time of the Reformation. I am speaking of their control of every facet of society and their fear-mongering and corruption and, of course, their never ending quest to destroy vampires.

I am speaking of their control of every facet of society and their fear-mongering and corruption and, of course, their never ending quest to destroy vampires.

I recall that Roger Ebert made some snarky comment asking why it is that we never see Presbyterians or Episcopalians doing exorcisms or hunting vampires in film. The reason, naturally, is that the Presbyterians haven't yet agreed on how to do it decently and in order, while the Episcopalians prefer the method of dealing with spirits by means of spirits---the finest scotch being the preferred spirit, of course.

I recall that Roger Ebert made some snarky comment asking why it is that we never see Presbyterians or Episcopalians doing exorcisms or hunting vampires in film. The reason, naturally, is that the Presbyterians haven't yet agreed on how to do it decently and in order, while the Episcopalians prefer the method of dealing with spirits by means of spirits---the finest scotch being the preferred spirit, of course.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back