Prima Latina Kit - Veritas Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Prima Latina Kit-Veritas Press, Inc.

What? Latin in 2nd grade? That's right, children will handle this starter program with ease. Prima Latina is a preparatory course for Cheryl Lowe's Latina Christiana. It is intended for teachers with no background in Latin. The course was designed for students who are still becoming familiar with English grammar. Its goal is to teach and reinforce an understanding of the basic parts of speech while teaching beginning Latin

Anyone familiar with this?

We tried it and though the material was indeed simple enough for the kids, what put us off was the heavy accent of the narrator. It's almost as though you expected her to say "Howdy, y'all! This here's how ya speak Latin," and then commence with the lesson in the same heavily accented voice. But if you can get past that, it seems pretty good.

Do you know Latin? If so, the Latin's Not So Tough may work for you, but it's not the popular choice among homeschoolers. I did not know Latin, so I used the Memoria Press materials (Prima Latina & Latina Christiana). Yes, Mrs. Lowe has a strong Kentucky accent, but she taught me (1) basic Latin and (2) how to conduct a Latin lesson. With zero Latin experience, it was a good program for my boys and me.

Another option is Song School Latin by Classical Academic Press. I've never seen this program, but it markets to the same audience as Prima Latina. I have seen their Latin for Children books, and in my opinion, they are more advanced than the ages they recommend.

I've done a lot of research on Latin programs, so feel free to ask about specific programs. I'm not a Latin scholar by any means, but I can buy (and resell) Latin curricula with the best.

Bethel,

Thanks. I do not know Latin. And I am very busy, such that I could use a pre-packaged program.

I use Hey Andrew, Teach me some Greek and really like it for Koine. The Song School Greek book I also have, but they transliterate English words by using Greek letters and I don't like that.

Noah is 6 years old. One of my MAIN objectives is to introduce him to these languages in a way that won't turn him off to learning. Right now he loves history and the bible and he ASKs for extra lessons. He also does not mind Greek. He seems to hate math because, I believe, Teresa has expressed a sentiment of less than love towards math, too.

Therefore, whatever I use must not squelch his love for learning. I want to be able to slowly and gradually build with 30 minutes a day from the time he is 6 years old so that he has good foundations in Greek and Latin.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Also, since I am using Hey Andrew for Greek and Noah responds well to it, this might be a strong reason to use Latin's Not so Tough since it is made by the same folks and (I assume) follows the same format and style (one that Noah is handling well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back