Private and Public Exhorters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Olive

Puritan Board Freshman
i am reading the Calvinistic Methodist Fathers of Wales and it keeps referring to private and public exhorters. Does anyone know what is meant by these terms?

It may be a time thing. How are you referencing the offices? Early it was usually ordained men with Study. I read a lot on the early period but have no idea what that means today or what the requirements were then. I did that because I studied the Wesley's and the Whitfield.

Public exhorters were typically full time and spoke to larger groups of people; private exhorters had other jobs but led and encouraged smaller, more localized groups. George Whitefield briefly discusses the difference in a letter quoted in Dallimore's biography, p. 128-129. You can find it online in Google books. Later, the distinction functioned somewhat like "pastor" (public exhorter) and "elder" (whose duties included teaching and exhorting individuals privately)

The two volumes mentioned I would highly recommend, and when I feel my soul being dried by too much theological disputation, I resort to them to have my heart strangely warmed within me. As I understand it, the question is to be answered in the Welsh context of those volumes.
The Established Church in Wales was more or less dead, but there were half a dozen Ministers who were converted and played a big part in the 1737 onwards Revival. The Rev Daniel Rowlands being the most notable,and considered greater than Whitfield, though he preached in his mother tongue. But the great moving force of the Revival was a layman named Howell Harris, who left Oxford University after one term because of the profanity, immorality and ungodliness that pervaded that seat of learning. He applied to the Bishop of St Davids for holy orders but was refused several times, and so took to private exhorting in homes. But the crowds got so big that he took to the fields, and was the first to do so, Whilfield and the Wesleys following later. He was the first public exhorter.
The number of converts under Harris's preaching(3 sermons a day,every day) was so numerous that he organised them into societies in their localities. These still remained within the Anglican Church and met midweek in Siats (experience meetings), under the supervision of a steward or private exhorter. Harris never took the title of Reverend but in great humility called himself an exhorter. The half a dozen Ministers recognised his power and organisational genius, and they included him in their quarterly meetings to direct the progress of the movement. They then authorised other public exhorters to itinerate after close examination.
The second volume of the said book shows the second generation of public exhorters whom God raised up, as there were still very few evangelical Ministers in the State Church in Wales. These were untrained yet endowed with brilliant gifts of preaching , even to some degree eclipsing the former generation. After a period they were ordained into the Ministerial office because of their unquestionable gifts and calling. These included the great one eyed preacher John Elias, the word painter Christmass Evans, and Ebenezer Morris who could move multitudes like as the wind over a hay field. So these were the public exhorters until their gifts were were given official recognition. These were backbone of the reviving of true religion, until they were led out of the Established church by Rev Thomas Charles eighty years after the beginning of the 1737 Revival, to form the The Calvinstic Methodist denomination.
I would dearly love us as PB members to begin discussing and generating a necessary interest and desire for the need for God to once again visit our lands with floods upon dry ground.

Public exhorters were typically full time and spoke to larger groups of people; private exhorters had other jobs but led and encouraged smaller, more localized groups. George Whitefield briefly discusses the difference in a letter quoted in Dallimore's biography, p. 128-129. You can find it online in Google books. Later, the distinction functioned somewhat like "pastor" (public exhorter) and "elder" (whose duties included teaching and exhorting individuals privately)
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back