Productive things to do while comcarrying and comforting a baby around the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
There has got to be something.. Lay a Bible upright? Memorizing a catechism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Music, sermons are fine ideas, but also this: focus on the great gift in your arms. Spend the time in prayer for the child, the child's mom, and other family. Don't worry about loss of productivity while you're doing something so terribly productive(although it may not seem so at the time!).

Perhaps audiobooks/sermons either on a bluetooth speaker or headphones?

This is exactly what I have been doing of late. Never has my wife been so supportive of me listening to sermons and podcasts than when it means she gets a break.

I also agree with Elizabeth: it is a good time to pray for the child in your arms.

Lullaby the baby to sleep by singing the Greek endings to the baby, "Oo, Eis, Aye...Omennettay oosin....

Oo, Eis, Aye...Omenetttay... oosin...

Then the chorus,....."O my....aye, eta.... ometha, esthay, onta...."

That'll put all parties to sleep...

Lullaby the baby to sleep by singing the Greek endings to the baby, "Oo, Eis, Aye...Omennettay oosin....

Oo, Eis, Aye...Omenetttay... oosin...

Then the chorus,....."O my....aye, eta.... ometha, esthay, onta...."

That'll put all parties to sleep...

Is that what you're doing on furlough?

I know someone who studied Hebrew while rocking the baby to sleep. Just set out the Hebrew on the laptop in big enormous letters, and just read and study as possible while walking the baby around the room.

Is that what you're doing on furlough?

I know someone who studied Hebrew while rocking the baby to sleep. Just set out the Hebrew on the laptop in big enormous letters, and just read and study as possible while walking the baby around the room.

Confession time: I never rocked the babies around the house. I am afraid to even touch kids before age 2. I think I held my son Gidoen once the first 6 months of life. Almost truly afraid of small babies... I wasn't even there for the last birth, I watched the older kids while my wife's mom attended....

.. yes, I know... that is terrible. I try to make it up to my wife in other ways.

Ironically, my first missionary trip involved delivering a baby on the edge of the Amazon river in an indian hut and the dogs lapping up the drippings under the house and then cutting the cord with a Wilkerson shaving razor. I had nothing to suck out the stuff from its mouth and nose and was preparing to suck it out myself manually when I raised the feet up and the baby started screaming (and we sighed in relief over the healthy lungs).

I've handled village births, too, but never my wife's births after my second was born and the place looked like a blood-bath and she had me assist (blood all over the tile floor from my wife). Too close to home. I can even start IVs on babies (even in their scalps) and I used to be called in for such cases when working in a hospital, but I can barely attend to my own kids when they are hurt. A strange weakness.

Confession time: I never rocked the babies around the house. I am afraid to even touch kids before age 2. I think I held my son Gidoen once the first 6 months of life. Almost truly afraid of small babies... I wasn't even there for the last birth, I watched the older kids while my wife's mom attended....

.. yes, I know... that is terrible. I try to make it up to my wife in other ways.

Ironically, my first missionary trip involved delivering a baby on the edge of the Amazon river in an indian hut and the dogs lapping up the drippings under the house and then cutting the cord with a Wilkerson shaving razor. I had nothing to suck out the stuff from its mouth and nose and was preparing to suck it out myself manually when I raised the feet up and the baby started screaming (and we sighed in relief over the healthy lungs).

I've handled village births, too, but never my wife's births after my second was born and the place looked like a blood-bath and she had me assist (blood all over the tile floor from my wife). Too close to home. I can even start IVs on babies (even in their scalps) and I used to be called in for such cases when working in a hospital, but I can barely attend to my own kids when they are hurt. A strange weakness.

I'm the opposite: to my shame, never attended any but my own children's births. Though, I've never been invited to any others either.

Why are you afraid of babies??

I trust my wife more than myself to be in charge of these little soft-skulled ones. Don't judge too harshly...I try to make it up in other ways.
I don't feel bad for your wife; i feel bad for you that you haven't held your babies before. They're so precious!

I don't feel bad for your wife; i feel bad for you that you haven't held your babies before. They're so precious!
I hold them lots now. I am making up for lost time. I just swam and wrestled with little Gideon (3) for about an hour today in a pool. But, yes, you are right, our weaknesses and hindrances keep us from fuller joy. If the Lord grants me more children (not likely, but we are open), I promise to cradle them every day despite any soft-skull anxieties. God bless.

I hold them lots now. I am making up for lost time. I just swam and wrestled with little Gideon (3) for about an hour today in a pool. But, yes, you are right, our weaknesses and hindrances keep us from fuller joy. If the Lord grants me more children (not likely, but we are open), I promise to cradle them every day despite any soft-skull anxieties. God bless.
Awwww <3

It must be warm where you are!

I hope to one day be a mother, so I’ll share some advice that I would think would be productive:

Maybe singing to the beautiful gift you have been given. Staring into their little eyes and thanking the Lord that He’s allowed you to share in the life of this little one. Praying over them. Reading to them.

I’m a little late to the thread but hope that helps!

I hope to one day be a mother, so I’ll share some advice that I would think would be productive:

Maybe singing to the beautiful gift you have been given. Staring into their little eyes and thanking the Lord that He’s allowed you to share in the life of this little one. Praying over them. Reading to them.

I’m a little late to the thread but hope that helps!
Excellent advice. My wife would sing and hum to my little ones sometimes and I'd stop everything I was doing to just sit and watch...best thing in the world is a mother happily enjoying her babies. I found myself as mesmerized as the babies by her love.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back