Progressive vs. classic dispensationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcalbrecht

Puritan Board Junior
Here is an interesting take on the progressive vs. classic dispensational views by a "heavy weight" in dispensational circles. Wayne House along with Tommy Ice wrote [i:5993cd2be4]Dominion Theology: Blessing or Curse?[/i:5993cd2be4] which was an attempt to refute the basic tenets of covenant theology under the guise of attacking Christian reconstruction. Their somewhat unscholarly work was thoroughly dismembered in [i:5993cd2be4]HOUSE DIVIDED: The Break-Up of Dispensational Theology[/i:5993cd2be4] by Greg Bahnsen and Ken Gentry.

[quote:5993cd2be4]
One of my best students, and a research assistant to me at DTS, had told me in the mid-1990s that he had accepted progressive dispensationalism. My next meeting with him at the Dallas Seminary bookstore just two years ago I discovered that he had embraced amillennialism and covenant theology. When I asked him about this he commented to me that it was an easy move to make from progressive dispensationalism to amillennialism. ([i:5993cd2be4]Dangers of Progressive Dispensationalism to Pre-Millennial Theology: Reflections of a Pre-Progressive Dispensationalist [/i:5993cd2be4] by H. Wayne House)
[/quote:5993cd2be4]

http://www.pre-trib.org/pdf/House-DangerofProgressiveD.pdf

His student could have said, it was an easy move from an inconsistent position to a biblically consistent one.

This quote shows the real fear that classic Dispensationalists have not only for covenant theologians, but also those within their own ranks who have given up on the Darby/Scofield/Chafer brand of dispensationalism.

Interesting you should bring this topic up because started a topic on a similar issue: Historic premillennialism and progressive dispensationalism? http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4304
(oh just realised you have already seen this page)

Basically I was saying that progressive dispensationalism ends up being nothing like classic dispensationalism, and how historic premillennial can look a lot like progressive dispensationalism. It's been an interesting journey for me, I started off as a revised dispensationalist and end up a partial preterist.

Eschatology what a headache. VanVos

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by VanVos]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back