Prominent Defenders of the Christian Sabbath in the Early Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
This is a spin off thread...I was wondering who were the prominent defenders of the Christian Sabbath in the first one thousand years of Church history?

Thanks.

The old tradition of the EO Church:

Eastern Christianity

Eastern Orthodox Church distinguishes between "the Sabbath" (Saturday) and "the Lord's Day" (Sunday), and both continue to play a special role for the faithful. Many parishes and monasteries will serve the Divine Liturgy on both Saturday morning and Sunday morning. The church never allows strict fasting on any Saturday (except Holy Saturday) or Sunday, and the fasting rules on those Saturdays and Sundays which fall during one of the fasting seasons (such as Great Lent, Apostles' Fast, etc.) are always lessened to some degree. During Great Lent, when the celebration of the Liturgy is forbidden on weekdays, there is always Liturgy on Saturday as well as Sunday. The church also has a special cycle of Bible readings (Epistle and Gospel) for Saturdays and Sundays which is different from the cycle of readings allotted to weekdays. However, the Lord's Day, being a celebration of the Resurrection, is clearly given more emphasis. For instance, in the Russian Orthodox Church Sunday is always observed with an All-Night Vigil on Saturday night, and in all of the Orthodox Churches it is amplified with special hymns which are chanted only on Sunday. If a feast day falls on a Sunday it is always combined with the service of Sunday (unless it is a Great Feast of the Lord). Saturday is celebrated as a sort of leave-taking for the previous Sunday, on which several of the Sunday hymns are repeated.

Part of the reason that Orthodox continue to celebrate Saturday as the Sabbath is because it was on a Saturday that Jesus "rested" in the tomb after his work on the cross. For this reason also, Saturday is a day for general commemoration of the departed, and special requiem hymns are often chanted on this day.

The Ethiopian Orthodox church (part of the Oriental Orthodox communion, having about 40 million members) observes both Saturday and Sunday as holy, but places extra emphasis on Sunday.

This is a spin off thread...I was wondering who were the prominent defenders of the Christian Sabbath in the first one thousand years of Church history?

Thanks.

As you know JM, 'spin off's' are rarely good!!! This thread may end up like Joanie Loves Chachi, or After Mash...:lol:

It was worth a try. I don't recall reading anything from the ECF's on a "Christian" Sabbath so I thought I'd ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back