Promise, Threatenings, and the Sinners Warrant to Believe Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
From Samuel Rutherford's Communion Sermons pg. 303:

We err oftentimes in our applying either promises or threatenings. You make a question of God's part, "if Christ died for you, and loved you." Make aye sure your own part, and take no fear of God's part. If ye ask for whom Christ died, I answer; "for all that lean to Him, be who they will." Take ay [consider granted] to you, till Christ say, I died not for you. A cord is cast down in a hollow pit to draw up you and a hundred more nor you. If ye dispute, "Is the cord cast down for me?" I will tell you how ye shall answer that doubt, grip and hold fast by it for your life, and out of question then it was cast down for you. If ye take the offer, question not His good will; step in; Christ's good will will not ask to whom pertain ye? And if He ask, say ye, "I am Thine." If He deny it, be ye humble and bide it. Cain's and Judas' names are not written in the sixth command. "But they have no due right to His promises." Yea, they have to His threatening against murderers. If ye ask if Christ died for you? He answers you with another question, Would ye die for Him? Or are ye dying for love to Him? that answers your question. Sinners are like a number of men swimming in the sea betwixt life and death. Christ and His merits are like a strong boat and a man holding out both his arms drawing them in one by one, saying, "Give me your hand;" and so he presses them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back