prophetic love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

Puritan Board Freshman
13:2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

What does it mean to prophesy in love All things are to be done in love). How was this carried out?

[quote:fbff067860][i:fbff067860]Originally posted by Christopher[/i:fbff067860]
13:2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

What does it mean to prophesy in love All things are to be done in love). How was this carried out? [/quote:fbff067860]

How do you do all things in love? Love(verb)... I guess.

Paul

[Edited on 5-30-2004 by rembrandt]

I think Paul is speaking more of the state of the individual here than of specific acts. The Corinthian church was falling into the error of priding itself in its supernatural gifts. Paul tore the wool from over their eye with these words.

We can puff ourselves up with pride seeing how we have attained much knowledge. We can swell up with ourselves when we feel more spiritual then our bretheren. But we are nothing at all if we don't have love. And as John writes if we say that we are lovers of God and we do not love the children of God, we are liars and the truth is not in us.

I posted these two threads on I Cor 13 because I was bored. But, going on with it. . .

How would a prophet deliver his message in love. Say he was going to tell someone that they we getting ready to be murdered like Agaubus told Paul of his fate in Jerusalem. How would he have done that in love?

Well again I don't think this is what Paul had in mind with this Cor text, but to answer your question, I think that a show of love in prophecy would be to deliver the message faithfully. Prophecy is proclaiming the word of God, so I guess the same criteria of heartfelt preaching applies. In fact, you might say its the same thing.

Heart felt prophesying aims to drive home the truth. It fights against potential objections, and it does so vigorously. The Prophet in this case opens up the truth, he aims to excavate the scriptures meaning to make it plain to the hearer. He also hopes to show the worth of the doctrine like a jeweler examining a diamond turning it this way and that, he hopes to see the beauty of the thing. And so not to leave the doctrine in abstracts the preacher begins to pull out the most challenging number of applications that can be made. He hopes to bring the truth home, you see, making it loved by the hearer and giving the hearer no excuse for applying said doctrine to his/her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back