Protestants and Lent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooguyx

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,

I have noticed that more people are observing lent. When asked why, one told me that "it is a good principle." I believe fasting is a good principle, but I am at a loss about lent.

Can someone explain the general reformed position regarding lent?

Thanks,
Roy

From my study, few would object to it as a personal act of devotion. What is objectionable is making the practice normative for all Christians.

One of my formerly-reformed friends has turned to Rome. She plans to attend mass every day at 7 am for her Lent practice. I plan to pray for her every day (with different verses each week in Scripture to guide me) during this Lenten season to bring her out of Rome. I like to stay away from popish traditions too so I'm doing my own anti-Lent prayer action. :D

pope18.jpg
Just how much financial interest does Rome have in the global fishing industry? How about the silk, precious metals, and the jewelry business? :D Full disclosure, please.

Just how much financial interest does Rome have in the global fishing industry? How about the silk, precious metals, and the jewelry business? Full disclosure, please.

None whatsoever--just a heck of a share in the antiques and artifacts market.

Anyone who went to Catholic grade school in the 50's or 60's should remember "buying pagan babies" during lent. You'd save up your pocket change and then give it to the nun or teacher who sent it to the "Pontifical Association of the Holy Childhood" to buy pagan babies (they later changed it to "adopt"). Then you'd get a certificate (can be found online with a 2C violation image) "...as a souvenir of the Ransom and Baptism of an adopted Pagan Baby named..."

The same Holy Childhood organization sold the RC version of Christmas Seals which we had to peddle on the streets and to relatives.

I'm giving up popish traditions for Lent. :p

I agree... I gave up popish traditions when I left the roman catholic church a few years ago and became a Protestant and a Presbyterian. I think I will work on this lent becoming a more profound and even better educated Reformed Protestant and a Presbyterian.

Lent is just a time in Christian tradition when folks do some additional "fasting". Sometimes I do and some times I don't. If one has a problem with the "Christian Calendar" like the season of Lent and Advent, then they definately should not ascribe to the "holy days" of Easter and Christmas. In my opinion there is no other Holy Day than the Lord's Day; but I also believe that there is nothing wrong with focusing on certain aspects of Christ's ministry and sacrifice during certain times of the year, as long as it is not mandated by the Church nor participated in an unsacrifical and feign manner.

Lent is just a time in Christian tradition when folks do some additional "fasting". Sometimes I do and some times I don't. If one has a problem with the "Christian Calendar" like the season of Lent and Advent, then they definately should not ascribe to the "holy days" of Easter and Christmas. In my opinion there is no other Holy Day than the Lord's Day; but I also believe that there is nothing wrong with focusing on certain aspects of Christ's ministry and sacrifice during certain times of the year, as long as it is not mandated by the Church nor participated in an unsacrifical and feign manner.

:amen:

I once heard someone who observed Lent say to a PCA Pastor, "I'm giving up chocolate for Lent, what are you giving up?" The PCA pastor replied by saying, "I'm giving up homosexuality for Lent, as long as we are giving up easy stuff...!"

My main concern with Lent is when it becomes an issue of legalism. Thus, my Lenten practice is to not tell anyone whether or not I observe Lent.

Michael Horton wrote a nice little article on the topic - Lent?Why Bother? To Lead Us to Christ | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

I agree that Lent as it is practiced by Catholics is not a desirable thing but...
I'd hate to call any similarity between Catholics and Protestants "Popish". Is Augustine Popish? Would stay away from The Nicene Creed?

No, not any similarity is "popish," but by the same token you can't use that argument to make practically nothing "popish." Something has to be. And many would say a made-up season with made-up rituals (like on Ash Wednesday) fits that description. I was mostly joking, though (sort of ;)). Hence the tongue-sticking-out smiley. And hence the irony that I said I was giving up popish ceremonies for Lent. :D

But regarding the Augustine example...Augustine wasn't a Roman Catholic and in his time there was no Pope.

Lent and other man-made holidays or holy seasons are violations of the 4th and 2nd Commandments, and are likewise Judaizing, by observing "days and times and seasons." If Paul feard for the Galatians for observing such beggardly elements which God HAD ordained, how much more those that never entered into God's mind?

Anyone who went to Catholic grade school in the 50's or 60's should remember "buying pagan babies" during lent. You'd save up your pocket change and then give it to the nun or teacher who sent it to the "Pontifical Association of the Holy Childhood" to buy pagan babies (they later changed it to "adopt"). Then you'd get a certificate (can be found online with a 2C violation image) "...as a souvenir of the Ransom and Baptism of an adopted Pagan Baby named..."

The same Holy Childhood organization sold the RC version of Christmas Seals which we had to peddle on the streets and to relatives.

I think this is one of the most insane sentences I've ever read. Does the RC really do these things???!

I'm giving up popish traditions for Lent. :p

i gave up communion wafer for lent

Ha, I know this is a bit off topic but when I was a roman catholic kid, my mom used to get on to me for "chewing the host." I told that to my pastor's wife and about how I still feel weird chewing the cracker during our communion. She told me to chew it loud and chew it proud (in all of Christian humility, course). So that's another thing I'm going to do for lent, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back