Prov. 31:4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot

Puritan Board Sophomore
We all know the debate between christians on whether or not it is o.k. for us to drink in moderation. I personally don't drink at all but I don't really have any problem with christians who do.

"...it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink". Proverbs 31:4

My question is this: How do we reconcile this verse with the view that it is o.k. for christians to drink? Or how do we reconcile the view that some take when saying Christ drank wine? Isn't Christ THE KING? Aren't we heirs with him? Aren't we princes and kings?

I'm not trying to start a big debate on drinking here, I'm just curious to know your thoughts in light of this verse.

In Christ,
Scot

[quote:79b030e6d9][i:79b030e6d9]Originally posted by Scot[/i:79b030e6d9]
We all know the debate between christians on whether or not it is o.k. for us to drink in moderation. I personally don't drink at all but I don't really have any problem with christians who do.

"...it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink". Proverbs 31:4

My question is this: How do we reconcile this verse with the view that it is o.k. for christians to drink? Or how do we reconcile the view that some take when saying Christ drank wine? Isn't Christ THE KING? Aren't we heirs with him? Aren't we princes and kings?

I'm not trying to start a big debate on drinking here, I'm just curious to know your thoughts in light of this verse.

In Christ,
Scot [/quote:79b030e6d9]

Methinks that he has an earthly magistrate in mind and the warning applies to him wiht respect to a love of strong drink clouding his judgment and hindering him from applying the Law.

I agree. The warning is not so much against drinking but to prevent the king from impairing his ability to judge rightly and administer the law without partiality or make rash decisions.

I've come to that conclusion, too since Jesus is THE King and drank some. It must be as Patrick said - it's a warning not to let it affect his ability to rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back