Proverbial expression or something else? "in the quarter of an hour"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
In the sermons of David Dickson on Jeremiah's Lamentations I'm editing he concludes sermon 12 as below and has this odd phrase in bold. There is a later proverbial expression but is this even a proverbial expression or has some other meaning. I've googled a while and can't find anything other than the too late French saying noted.
But who [takes] leave of their faults for all that can be said, and therefore too plainly they count God’s anger but a puff of wind. Yet I tell you, all that ye can feel of it is nothing to that ye shall feel in the quarter of an hour. Labour therefore in time to be reconciled to Him else I bind God’s wrath upon you. Therefore, think of His anger in time, rather than ye feel it out of time. Save yourselves from this untoward generation [Acts 2:40]. Be not smitten with the evil fashions of the time, but in time apprehend this anger of God and flee out of the way of it. Ask mercy in time that ye may eschew it, for I can make none wise of it except they have felt it.
. A bad quarter of an hour: a short but very unpleasant period of time. This comes from the French un mauvais quart d’heure, but this was only current in English from the middle of the nineteenth century, and the origin of the French is a bit later than this sermon about 1642 and attributed at the death of a Frenchman which you'll find if you search.​

Not sure, but, he seems to me to be saying something like this:

"All that you can feel of God's anger now is nothing compared to what you will feel in a short time in hell."

He seems to be using in the quarter of an hour in a similar way that we use soon or before long.

Yet I tell you, all that ye can feel of it is nothing to that ye shall feel before long. Labour therefore in time to be reconciled to Him else I bind God’s wrath upon you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back