Proverbs 17:22

Status
Not open for further replies.

cih1355

Puritan Board Junior
Proverbs 17:22 says, "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." When this verse says that the joyful heart is good medicine, does it mean that it cures us of depression? What does "dries up the bones" mean?

Ordinarily, your bones contain marrow, which produces new blood cells. I assume that if the bones are dried up, they can no longer produce blood cells, which are life.

I think this is referring, at least on one level, to the physiological connection between our mental state and our physical health. Joy and laughter seem to promote healing, while depression, grief, or gloom at least restrict healing and in some cases can actually cause your health to degrade.

I'm going to teach about this to some young children at church. I'm going to talk about how our mental state affects our physical health. Should I also talk about how God can give us joyful hearts and that we need to turn to Him if we are filled with grief?

cih1355,

The book of Proverbs is a part of the wisdom literature, and as such, it presents an entire vocabulary of literature unto its own. Consider this proverb, which I believe is strongly related to this text:

Proverbs 15:13 A joyful heart makes a cheerful face, But when the heart is sad, the spirit is broken.

The Hebrew text is very similar in each proverb:

לב שמח ייטב פנים ובעצבת־לב רוח נכאה

לב שמח ייטב גהה ורוח נכאה תיבש־גרם

The similarities between the two are readily noticible.

I agree with Skyler, but what I think I would add is that a joyful heart is a cure for both the physical and the mental. Proverbs 15:13 addresses the mental, while Proverbs 17:22 addresses the physical. This is consistent with what we find in the prologue as well. You have:

Proverbs 3:8 It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones.

However, only a few verses later you have:

Proverbs 3:17 Her ways are pleasant ways And all her paths are peace.

Thus, I would say that the book of Proverbs is saying that wisdom is a cure for both the physical and the mental. The reason is that joy is generally something that comes from knowing lady wisdom. Hence, I would say that this is going back to the fact that wisdom brings healing to both your body and your soul.

God Bless,
Adam

Ordinarily, your bones contain marrow, which produces new blood cells. I assume that if the bones are dried up, they can no longer produce blood cells, which are life.

I think this is referring, at least on one level, to the physiological connection between our mental state and our physical health. Joy and laughter seem to promote healing, while depression, grief, or gloom at least restrict healing and in some cases can actually cause your health to degrade.

Thank you for your input.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

cih1355,

The book of Proverbs is a part of the wisdom literature, and as such, it presents an entire vocabulary of literature unto its own. Consider this proverb, which I believe is strongly related to this text:

Proverbs 15:13 A joyful heart makes a cheerful face, But when the heart is sad, the spirit is broken.

The Hebrew text is very similar in each proverb:

לב שמח ייטב פנים ובעצבת־לב רוח נכאה

לב שמח ייטב גהה ורוח נכאה תיבש־גרם

The similarities between the two are readily noticible.

I agree with Skyler, but what I think I would add is that a joyful heart is a cure for both the physical and the mental. Proverbs 15:13 addresses the mental, while Proverbs 17:22 addresses the physical. This is consistent with what we find in the prologue as well. You have:

Proverbs 3:8 It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones.

However, only a few verses later you have:

Proverbs 3:17 Her ways are pleasant ways And all her paths are peace.

Thus, I would say that the book of Proverbs is saying that wisdom is a cure for both the physical and the mental. The reason is that joy is generally something that comes from knowing lady wisdom. Hence, I would say that this is going back to the fact that wisdom brings healing to both your body and your soul.

God Bless,
Adam

Thank you for your input. Could one draw the conclusion from Proverbs or anywhere else in the Bible that wisdom comes from God? If I were teaching on this verse, would it be appropriate to say that joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit?

cih1355,

Thank you for your input. Could one draw the conclusion from Proverbs or anywhere else in the Bible that wisdom comes from God? If I were teaching on this verse, would it be appropriate to say that joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit?

Absolutely, in fact, the idea that wisdom comes from God is found all over the book of Proverbs:

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom, And before honor comes humility.

God and the fear of him are the very foundations of wisdom. It flows from God himself. Even the New Testament states:

James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

So, yes, I would say that all of the things that you have said are appropriate.

God Bless,
Adam

Are there examples of people in the Bible whose mental state affected their physical health?

There is someone I'm thinking of whose heart failed him upon receiving bad news. I can't remember where though.

There's also Eli, whose mental state on receiving the news of the Ark's capture caused him to break his neck. I don't think that counts though. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back