Proverbs 18:24

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

Puritan Board Senior
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Is the first part saying that if you want to have friends you must be friendly, or it is your duty to be friendly to your friends?

I know its about the same thing, but there is a slight difference, i think.

Any thoughts?

I don't know-- I'm still trying to exegete Proverbs 5:19...
:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

I will have to get back to you on that one.

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly

I believe it means that a man that has friends, proves himself to be friendly; friendliness brings one friendship.

The friend that sticks closer than a brother could be a number of things: father, mother, Christ.

thanks Scott.

regarding the 'friend that sticks closer than a brother' i thought it could be a reference to the fact that actual friendship or relationship is more trustworthy than physical blood bonds.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly

I believe it means that a man that has friends, proves himself to be friendly; friendliness brings one friendship.

The friend that sticks closer than a brother could be a number of things: father, mother, Christ.

I think we've all seen examples of this throughout our lives.

We can have many acquaintances, but very few true friends (and this is not out of spite, but actual fact and observations.)

I look at it this way: having a plethora of "friends" is like having all the hats at a Lids store in a shopping mall. There is no possible way to juggle them all like Enrico Rastelli did (and even he had his limitations).

Matthew Henry:

Prov 18:24

Solomon here recommends friendship to us, and shows, 1. What we must do that we may contract and cultivate friendship; we must show ourselves friendly. Would we have friends and keep them, we must not only not affront them, or quarrel with them, but we must love them, and make it appear that we do so by all expressions that are endearing, by being free with them, pleasing to them, visiting them and bidding them welcome, and especially by doing all the good offices we can and serving them in every thing that lies in our power; that is showing ourselves friendly.

Si vis amari, ama"”

If you wish to gain affection, bestow it."”Sen.

Ut ameris, amabilis esto"”

The way to be beloved is to be lovely."”Ovid.

2. That it is worth while to do so, for we may promise ourselves a great deal of comfort in a true friend. A brother indeed is born for adversity, as he had said, Prov 17:17. In our troubles we expect comfort and relief from our relations, but sometimes there is a friend, that is nothing akin to us, the bonds of whose esteem and love prove stronger than those of nature, and, when it comes to the trial, will do more for us than a brother will. Christ is a friend to all believers that sticks closer than a brother; to him therefore let them show themselves friendly.

Matthew Poole:

Prov 18:24. A man that hath friends, Heb. a man of friends; either, 1. Who desires the friendship of others. Or, 2. Who professeth friendship to others. That sticketh closer to him that desires and needs his help; who is more hearty in the performance of all friendly offices.

Zacharias Ursinus:

Friendship, a species of humanity, is a true and mutual good will between good men, formed by a knowledge which each party has of the other's virtues, or by the performance of such duties towards each other as are becoming and possible. "A man that hath friends must show himself friendly; and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." (Prov 18:24.)

Octavius Winslow:

APRIL 2

"There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.""”Prov 18:24

The power of human sympathy is amazing, if it leads the heart to Christ; it is paralyzed, if it leads only to ourselves. Oh, how feeble and inadequate are we to minister to a mind diseased, to heal a heart broken, to strengthen the feeble hand, and to confirm the trembling knees! Our mute sympathy, our prayerful silence, is often the best exponent of our affection and the most effectual expression of our aid. But if, taking the object of our solicitude by the hand, we gently lead him to God, if we conduct him to Jesus, portraying to his view the depth of His love, the perfection of His atoning work, the sufficiency of His grace, His readiness to pardon, and His power to save, the exquisite sensibility of His nature, and thus His perfect sympathy with every human sorrow, we have then most truly and most effectually soothed the sorrow, stanched the wound, and strengthened the hand in God.

There is no sympathy, there is even no love, no gentleness, no tenderness, no patience, like Christ's. Oh how sweet, how encouraging to know that in all my afflictions He is afflicted; that in all my temptations He is tempted; that in all my assaults He is assailed; that in all my joys He rejoices"”that He weeps when I weep, sighs when I sigh, suffers when I suffer, rejoices when I rejoice! May this truth endear Him to our souls. May it constrain us to unveil our whole heart to Him, in the fullest confidence of the closest, most sacred, and precious friendship. May it urge us to do those things which are always most pleasing in His sight. Beloved, never forget, and let these words linger upon your ear as the echoes of music that never die, that in all your sorrows, in all your trials, in all your wants, in all your assaults, in all your conscious wanderings, in life, in death, and at the day of judgment, you possess "a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." That friend is Jesus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back