Proverbs 18:4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonGoodwin

Puritan Board Sophomore
"The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook."

How many of us have really given this some serious thought/contemplation? I have been dwelling and meditating upon it lately, and have understood it to mean that what we say and read reveals plenty about not only what fascinates us, but that it also says something about our character (and, in some cases, the lack thereof).

For example, I'll use Matt (our 9-star PB General). Look at the wealth of knowledge our brother has with regards to theology. :scholar: Yet, the impression that I get from him is that he never rests on his laurels.

Then we come to someone like a fool who does not (and will not) listen to reason. Proverbs has a plethora of examples of unrepentant fools -- not so much in namesake, but in character and attributes. Even more shocking is that when I view things in retrospect, I was just as bad (and probably worse).

Thoughts, anyone?:)

I suppose this is one of the reasons the Reformed faith's motto, so to speak, is "always reforming". As we study the Scriptures, being in them daily (one would hope), and ponder what they say (as you are doing with this verse), while always leaning on God to enable us to understand them, we are always hopeful of coming to a greater understanding of the Bible and the theology it teaches.

Are you having the experience that, the longer you ponder even that one verse, the deeper it gets? That's just one of the reasons the Word of God is never irrelevant, and why Christians, in any and every age, are always in need of it.

Don't know how "thought"ful this is, but there it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back