Providence (and I don't mean Rhode Island)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I'm going down the home stretch reading The Mystery of Providence, by John Flavel. The book really makes me stop and think.

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts regarding God's providence and how believing in God's providence affects you as a Christian? Can you think of any examples of God's providence in your life?

As I think about God's providence, there's sort of a feeling of rest that comes over me - a confirmation that God is in control and there's nothing to worry about.

Psa 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I need to spend more time considering how God's providence has been revealed in my life, but the first thing that comes to mind is God's providence in saving me. Its interesting to think about all the different Christians I met along the way who shared scriptures with me and demonstrated by their life style what Jesus can do in a person's life.

Hind sight is neat when thinking about God's providence, but what would be even neater is to recognize God's providence daily. It really boggles my mind to think of God controlling events and people the way He does to accomplish his purposes.

Bob

W.S.C. Q11 What are God's works of providence?
A. God's works of providence are, His most holy, wise, and powerful perserving and governing all His creatures and all their actions.
Praise the Lord! for His wonderful Providence in my life.

Sean,
Is that amazing, or what! I know its beyond our reasoning powers to understand how God does it, but I can't help but wonder, "How does He do it?"

[b:5244c8ddea]Sean wrote:[/b:5244c8ddea]
Praise the Lord!

:amen: and :ditto:

Bob,

When Christ prays "Our Father who art in heaven" it reminds me of psalm 115:3. I wonder if this is what the Lord had in mind? "Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases." This sense of God's majestic rule over existence pervades Our Lord's prayer. How can we thank God for our daily bread if it isn't truly given to us by divine providence? Should we attribute goodness to one who is undeserving? Certainly not, we give to God thanks because, in his sovereignty, we can thank him for giving all good gifts.

Look at the prayers of Paul, see how often he offers up thanks to God? Paul has a pervasive sense of God's nearness. He does not see God as the deist or even the Arminian. In him we move, we live, and have our being!

HAving a right understanding of providence should make us fearless in the face of all problems or adversity. God works all things for our good, even the horrible things. That truth has so calmed my soul since becoming reformed. There is no one outside God's control, no "free will" to thwart His plans for us. There is no Plan B. It is so liberating really.

I have been realizing lately that often when I pray I don't pray along the lines of the Lord's prayer: I don't stop to think about how our Father truly is in heaven, doing what He pleases. So I often go around casting my burdens on Him, but never stopping to take comfort that He is able to bear them!

I thank God for His providence in how He uses everything to conform us to the image of Christ.

[b:841a918036]Ian wrote:[/b:841a918036]
When Christ prays "Our Father who art in heaven" it reminds me of psalm 115:3. I wonder if this is what the Lord had in mind? "Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases."

...he does all that he pleases. Now that's some free will that interests me.

Psalm 115:3 does seem to tie in nicely with the beginning of the Lord's prayer. It helps us put our relationship with God in the proper perspective. He's a personal God who has an intimate relationship with his people, while at the same time our God is in the heavens. Excellent.

[b:841a918036]Ian wrote:[/b:841a918036]
How can we thank God for our daily bread if it isn't truly given to us by divine providence?

That's interesting cuz I was thinking about that the other day as I was praying before a meal. I started asking myself if I really believed that God gave me the food. With a regular job and a paycheck coming in every month, its so easy to forget that God actually provides the food.

[b:841a918036]Sean wrote:[/b:841a918036]
God's Providence, our thankfulness. Isn't that what it really all boils down to.

That's it in a nutshell!

[b:841a918036]Patrick wrote:[/b:841a918036]
Having a right understanding of providence should make us fearless in the face of all problems or adversity.

Amen. As the verse states, If God be for us, who can be against us. One of the things that John Flavel mentioned in his book is that its important for us to write down past examples of God's providence. That way, when a new trial comes along, we can remind ourselves of God's faithfulness in the past and face the trial with more confidence and less fear.

[b:841a918036]Patrick wrote:[/b:841a918036]
That truth has so calmed my soul since becoming reformed. There is no one outside God's control, no "free will" to thwart His plans for us. There is no Plan B. It is so liberating really.

Amen.

[b:841a918036]Heidi wrote:[/b:841a918036]
I thank God for His providence in how He uses everything to conform us to the image of Christ.

Knowing this certainly makes the trials that we providentially go through all worth it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back