Providence is not our Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thomas Boston, Works, 6:352:

Providence is not our Bible; the works of God may be very various, but the word of promise is always the same, it is never moved. Ye have a very poetical passage, Ps. 18:7, and downwards. I think it proceeds upon this view, that though all the confusions of the universe cannot move the promise; yet if hills, earth, fire, waters, heavens, were all standing before it to hinder its accomplishment, it would move them all out of their places, and make its way through them.

I wonder if sometimes, that in a sense, Our Lord veils His providence to most of Christendom to accomplish His will so that when He says "you fed me when I was hungry and visited me in prison" they can respond in honestly "When did I feed or visit You"?

Last edited:
I wonder if sometimes, that in a sense, Our Lord veils His providence to most of Christendom to accomplish His will so that when He says "you fed me when I was hungry and visited me in prison" they can respond in honestly "When did I feed or visit You"?

Definitely. There is a mystery of providence, and that to all Christendom. Although I wouldn't take that parable too far since the question receives an answer whereby the saints are able to make an account of their own works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back