prudential arguments for mandatory Sunday closings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
Can anyone point me to resources describing prudential arguments for keeping stores/government closed on Sundays? I am not looking for a defense of the 4th commandment, but rather things like "its better for society for XYZ." Thanks

The US Supreme Court said in McGowan v. Maryland (1961) that the state has a vested secular interest in legislation which closes stores on the first day of the week because it promotes the common welfare of society for people to have a day off of work each week to pursue recreational and leisure interests.

More recently, further secular justifications have been advanced for making Sunday a day of rest, a day when people may recover from the labors of the week just passed and may physically and mentally prepare for the week's work to come. In England, during the First World War, a committee investigating the health conditions of munitions workers reported that "if the maximum output is to be secured and maintained for any length of time, a weekly period of rest must be allowed. . . . On economic and social grounds alike this weekly period of rest is best provided on Sunday." The proponents of Sunday closing legislation are no longer exclusively representatives of religious interests. Recent New Jersey Sunday legislation was supported by labor groups and trade associations....

[Edited on 1-26-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I'm not sure these fall into prudential arguments or not but may have some useful material or references to track down. I have not read either work, but see:
R. J. Floody, Scientific Basis for Sabbath and Sunday (Boston: Herbert B. Turner & Co., 1906).
James Gilfillan, The Sabbath Viewed in the Light of Reason, Revelation, and History (NY: American Tract Society, [1862]; recently reprinted by Reformation Heritage Books). See the section, "Proofs, From Reason and Experience, of the Excellence and Divine Origin of the Sabbath". Floody disagress that a seventh part of time as rest is dictated by nature since he sees the Sabbath institution as primarily one of worship rather than rest. For what it's worth.

I should have said as to the Gilfillan, I have not read the section referenced. I have read and reprinted the section on Sabbath Literature in an old Anthology of Presbyterian and Reformed Literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back