Psalm 105.18

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
His feet were hurt with fetters; his neck was put in a collar of iron; (ESV)

I'm surprised that commentators seem to have a hard time interpreting this verse. They can't decide whether to take it literally, metaphorically, or poetically. I've always assumed that it's literal - the unnamed psalmist, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, is giving details about Joseph's Egyptian imprisonment not revealed in Genesis.

Any thoughts?

Who? Who has a hard time? Maybe I'm reading other commentators...

Now, a psalm is poetry, so there's nothing especially objectionable about admitting this verse is "picturesque," moreso than the straightforward narrative of Genesis.

Putting forth a concrete statement and disputing it, would be a more straightforward way of explaining the issues you are having with such comments. :2cents:

Well, for instance, here's Allan Harman, from his otherwise excellent commentary on the Psalms (Volume 2, pages 755-756): "The description that is given of his captivity is a poetic one, using the imagery of a later period." But see, also, Harman's comments on Psalm 107.10: "The final clause of verse 10 was a regular way of describing both the form and the nature of imprisonment (lit. 'prisoners of affliction and iron')" - in which he cites both Job 36.8 and Psalm 105.18. (2:776) So, either he forgot what he wrote about the psalm under discussion or he changed his mind, or something...

John Calvin, Charles Spurgeon, and John Goldingay take the verse literally, while Alexander Maclaren is on the fence, not sure which way to go.

As soon as his master heard the words that his wife spoke to him, "This is the way your servant treated me," his anger was kindled. And Joseph's master took him and put him into the prison, the place where the king's prisoners were confined, and he was there in prison. But the LORD was with Joseph and showed him steadfast love and gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison. And the keeper of the prison put Joseph in charge of all the prisoners who were in the prison. Whatever was done there, he was the one who did it. The keeper of the prison paid no attention to anything that was in Joseph's charge, because the LORD was with him. And whatever he did, the LORD made it succeed. (gen 39:19-23, ESV)

he had sent a man ahead of them, Joseph, who was sold as a slave. His feet were hurt with fetters; his neck was put in a collar of iron; until what he had said came to pass, the word of the LORD tested him. The king sent and released him; the ruler of the peoples set him free; (Ps 105:17-20, ESV)

If Psalm 105:18 is to be taken literally, it would be for only a - possibly initial - portion of Joseph's time in prison. The psalm is going through the early history of Israel very summarily, anyway.

Or do the words refer metaphorically to his period of servitude and his period in prison until he was made second in the land?

"Whose feet they hurt with fetters: he was laid in iron:

Until the time that his [the LORD's] word came: the word of the LORD tried him."
Ps 105:18,19 AV​

I have always taken this as literal. The time he spent incarcerated. Very minimally the psalmist shows part of what Joseph suffered: "they hurt his feet" likely speaks of real wounds and damage caused by the chains and manacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back